General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pickup Tube

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 04:44 PM
TBRoye
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Pickup Tube

2011 Clubman N16 engine. Back in late Feb. or Early March wife ran over a curb in center divider and did some damage including putting a dent in oil pan I replaced the plug and some fasteners on underbody pieces and the right rear Jack Pad. Car has been fine with no leaks or other issues it has even had an service and oil change where it was noted oil pan was dented. Had to take it in the other day for valvetronic issue, threw a code 008245 VANOS Solenoids. They swapped the them from side to side and could find no problem and could not get the engine to set a new code. When the SA gave me the paper work he said Tech was a little concerned that dent was restricting the oil flow to the upper part of the engine. They said to watch and see what happen.

This has gotten me thing of replacing the pan.

1 How close is the pick up tube to the bottom of the pan, the dent is less than 1/2 inch but will go out measure it.
2. How hard is it to remove the pan, Bentley says to remove exhaust system and put radiator support in service position. Looking at it looks simpler than that other than the Exhaust pipe being in the way.

Dealer wants &478 Labor
Pan $215
Gasket $33
Total $726
I know the pan and Gasket are cheaper at ECS or other online vendors
but at 73 don't know if I a really up to taking on laying on back for a day or two.
Could try my Insurance but $500 deductible doesn't make it worth while so it's either do it my self and save a bunch or suck it up a have dealer do it. I have no problem with the dealer but we just don't know what it is like inside the pan.

Can't find a good picture or cutaway diagram where I could get so idea of what I am dealing with. Since these engines are not cheap don't want to take a chance on hurting it.

Tom

Old 05-28-2015, 05:44 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
You're out of warranty, why not take it to a good independent? Should be much cheaper than the dealer..

Old 05-28-2015, 07:39 PM
TBRoye
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still under original factory warranty and also have CPO warranty. But this is not a warranty issue. We have a good BMW Indi shop near by thanks for the reminder. Duh!

Tom