General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is MINI going to get rear view camera as standard?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 09:30 PM
Tommy Kardinal
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When is MINI going to get rear view camera as standard?

So this post is a bit US specific, where rear view cameras are becoming mandatory. Originally I was going to post in the f56 forum, but this would also apply to the Countryman as well as all other Cooper variants.

So does anyone have any info on this? its 2015, Japanese cars all have standard touchscreens and at this point almost all have a back up camera. The Americans are getting there too, and then there are the Germans (BMW/MINI), who haven't even began to think about making this standard equipment. The thing I care the most about though, is not the rear view camera itself, but what comes with it, a screen. Do you guys think the standard radio unit will get phased out for the smaller infotainment screen(I can't believe in 2015 companies are still charging extra for a bigger screen)? Or do you think they'll wimp out completely and just put a small screen in the rear view mirror? I think this is something people might want to consider if they want to buy a Mini right now, wait a few more years and you might (finally) get some more things standard. I wonder if they'll raise the base price when this happens too

Old 05-25-2015, 08:25 AM
dongood
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe 2017 is the year the Feds require all new cars to have backup cameras.

However in a car as small as the MINI still is I don't see much need for a backup camera.

Reminds me of that Lexus (?) commercial bragging about how all those driver aides make you a better driver. Things like blind spot warnings, leaving your lane warnings, automatic braking. These features aren't making better drivers, they actually enable more distracted driving.

Not saying backup cameras don't serve a purpose. Not running over children comes to mind. But using a backup camera to see stationary objects, like the car behind you when parallel parking, only leads to not really knowing the dimensions of your own car, and thus less capable drivers.

Soapbox rant off.

Maybe I've gotten to the age of being "that old guy."

Old 05-25-2015, 08:38 AM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It will be interesting to see how they handle this. Easy if you have a larger screen like Mini Connect, but the base radio...yeah...

Old 05-25-2015, 10:35 AM
trwxxa
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mid-2018 for full compliance, IIRC.

Being a firm believer in The Law of Unintended Consequences, I predict an increase in backing accidents as a result of this nanny-state regulation. People will soon stop even trying to look before they back up, and feel the technology will protect them as they slap shifter into "R" and stomp on the gas (while OMGing their BFFs of course).

Old 05-25-2015, 10:40 AM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by trwxxa
Mid-2018 for full compliance, IIRC.

Being a firm believer in The Law of Unintended Consequences, I predict an increase in backing accidents as a result of this nanny-state regulation. People will soon stop even trying to look before they back up, and feel the technology will protect them as they slap shifter into "R" and stomp on the gas (while OMGing their BFFs of course).
You are of course, totally right. Next, it will be the Forward Camera so that, you know, you can see Forward...better....while driving...

Old 05-25-2015, 10:40 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
A little sarcastic I know but some of us who know how to drive hope they never make a rear view camera standard.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:45 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by NHTSA.gov
Today's final rule requires all vehicles under 10,000 pounds, including buses and trucks, manufactured on or after May 1, 2018, to come equipped with rear visibility technology that expands the field of view to enable the driver of a motor vehicle to detect areas behind the vehicle to reduce death and injury resulting from backover incidents. The field of view must include a 10-foot by 20-foot zone directly behind the vehicle. The system must also meet other requirements including image size, linger time, response time, durability, and deactivation.
Here's the link to the full NHTSA press release.

Given that most automakers are using rear-view cameras and LCDs, it seems plausible MINI will simply make the Visual Boost & rear-view camera standard equipment in the USA and raise the base price accordingly on cars built on and after 1May2018. Curiously, the press release verbiage ("on or after May 1, 2018") counters the actual mandate ("Full compliance is required on May 1, 2018."), as that would mean the automakers could make compliant cars on May 1st and then after go back to previous build spec, which isn't accurate.

Last edited by Ryephile; 05-25-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:41 PM
ljmiii
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dongood
However in a car as small as the MINI still is I don't see much need for a backup camera....Soapbox rant off.
I can only assume you (and a number of other posters) are sufficiently blessed as to not live in a town with angled street parking. Since I do live in one my choices are...

(1) Wait for traffic to clear in the 'other' lane which you *can* see (so traffic has a place to veer into), SLOOOOOWLY back up into your lane (so traffic has time to veer out of the way or stop (HA!)), and hope for the best. Or...

(2) Have a camera in the back of your car to see the vehicles hurtling down the street that you can't see from the front of the car. I chose (2).

Old 05-25-2015, 04:19 PM
SamtheSham152
1st Gear
Since I have a Mini convertible with a notoriously bad rear view, AND I live in S.W. Florida, where the residents are know to start the car, and pull out of parking, regardless of any nearby traffic ("Everyone else must avoid ME!"), I installed a GPS and backup camera. I figure that the more information I have about my surroundings the better. One can never have too much information. 42 accident free yrs. as a military and commercial pilot have to mean something.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:05 PM
05r50
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
None of my vehicles have a backup camera. But I have ridden with numerous friends that have these items built into their cars. Since I don't have it, I normally pay pretty close attention to how it works and the virtual grid it overlays onto the image etc.

However, what I have noticed from all of them is that none, I mean none of my friends ever look at the screen. They just back up like everyone else looking in their mirrors.

Also, my newest car came with a touch screen radio that included phone integration and nav. Its nice, but honestly I think it is easier to change radio settings with a standard interface in a moving car. Also, the Nav is harder to use than just a smartphone app.

Just my $.02.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:22 AM
trwxxa
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Pure Red
You are of course, totally right. Next, it will be the Forward Camera so that, you know, you can see Forward...better....while driving...
Yeah. The forward view camera will link to your smartphone via Bluetooth, and the foward view image will appear as the background on the screen. Then you'll be able to OMG and LOL your BFFs without ever having to look up. It'll be the complete opposite of a Heads-Up Device (HUD)... A Head-Down Device or "HDD" (or has that already been taken?). You'll be able to drive merrily along oblivious to the angry looks and single-digit salutes cast your way as your fellow motorists express their disdain for your neglegent driving habits (if they notice, because they'll be heads-down too as soon as NHTSA mandates that every car has the device).

Old 05-26-2015, 11:00 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Mini will get it only when US law requires it...
And when it happens, the base $$$ will go up, and the base, basic radio will disappear....
IMO, a backup camera on a MINI is kinda like having "**** on a bull" to bring up an old saying...
I suppose as MINI's grow, and become a "MAXI" (insert bad joke here), having a backup camera makes more sense...for the 5 door...maybe...same for the countryman...
But just to make a point, a typical MINI uses about 60% of a typical parking space....so little hate parallel parking cause there is SO MUCH SPACE LEFT, some idiot in a SUV that can not park will try to fit in behind/in front of you, and likely bump you.....
At some point, when basic so many basic parts are mandated, the $$ adds up, and folks now must drive an older car with less safety features (using more fuel, etc)cause the most basic version of cars have so many $$ that bump up the price.
Call me old fashioned, but I like being able to buy a basic "stripper" (insert second bad joke)..... for some, it is the perfect price point...heck if you are going to rip out the stock stereo and install custom stuff (usually with a backup, lol) getting a basic model and upgrading it makes sense...and let's you do it in a few months....

Old 05-26-2015, 11:04 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
PS
One observation...
I see TWO cars try to occupy the center lane almost every day...folks just see their "lane warning" light is off, and begin to drift into the center from both sides...sometimes BOTH with blinkers on...but NEITHER PERSON ever looked till they see something out of the corner of their eye, or somebody beeps...then they both swerve...
Too much tech makes drives complacent... Nothing beats a mirror.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:53 PM
trwxxa
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
PS
Too much tech makes drives complacent... Nothing beats a mirror.
And the ability to turn your head.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:24 PM
spingq
4th Gear
I can't believe you guys aren't seeing this as a positive thing, since it will require all manufacturers to include tech that has up until this point been held for ransom. Dealer spec cars hardly ever include the overpriced LCD media systems, which leaves no option for people like me who purchase off the lot. MINI connected was easily one of my top priorities when searching for a new MINI, but of course the car I ended up picking had everything BUT the Visual Boost radio, which cannot be retrofitted. Say what you will about how worthwhile the MINI Connected system is, but in terms of scrolling through a 32gig USB drive on a 3 line dot matrix screen versus a nice 7" color display, there is no competition. Talk about distracted driving, have you ever tried picking music on the standard base stereo while in motion? It's nearly impossible. I don't even care if they still end up nickel and diming people for the media features- just the fact that cars will at least be required to have the hardware in place to use it will make a huge difference for car buyers like me.

Now, in terms of the law, I can't imagine a reason why the US Government went straight to requiring video cameras and monitors when the old PDS systems seem like they would have been the more logical next step. But considerring how cheap camera and LCD hardware has gotten in the past few years, I'm sure it's still only a few dollars in additional wholesale costs for manufacturers.

Bottom line is, if you can get an iPad Mini with an extremely high resolution display and the processing power of a low end home PC for only $500, why does a system like MINI Connected cost the consumer $1500? Because it's an OPTION.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:57 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by spingq
I can't believe you guys aren't seeing this as a positive thing, since it will require all manufacturers to include tech that has up until this point been held for ransom. Dealer spec cars hardly ever include the overpriced LCD media systems, which leaves no option for people like me who purchase off the lot. MINI connected was easily one of my top priorities when searching for a new MINI, but of course the car I ended up picking had everything BUT the Visual Boost radio, which cannot be retrofitted. Say what you will about how worthwhile the MINI Connected system is, but in terms of scrolling through a 32gig USB drive on a 3 line dot matrix screen versus a nice 7" color display, there is no competition. Talk about distracted driving, have you ever tried picking music on the standard base stereo while in motion? It's nearly impossible. I don't even care if they still end up nickel and diming people for the media features- just the fact that cars will at least be required to have the hardware in place to use it will make a huge difference for car buyers like me.

Now, in terms of the law, I can't imagine a reason why the US Government went straight to requiring video cameras and monitors when the old PDS systems seem like they would have been the more logical next step. But considerring how cheap camera and LCD hardware has gotten in the past few years, I'm sure it's still only a few dollars in additional wholesale costs for manufacturers.

Bottom line is, if you can get an iPad Mini with an extremely high resolution display and the processing power of a low end home PC for only $500, why does a system like MINI Connected cost the consumer $1500? Because it's an OPTION.
Ever try to use an iPad or iPod at -40°f of c? Same for 140° f (parked car on a hot day)?
Automotive tech lags due to severe tempture requirements AND design cycles.....
And the fact it must be durable enough to survive a decade or more of these extremes along with dust, and vibrations...
Anybody who has ever bought a cheap Chinese aftermarket part...and had it fail in a year knows this..they make some pretty stereo/in car entertainment stuff, but it is crap...

Old 05-26-2015, 09:34 PM
Thecluemaster
1st Gear
It's ridiculous to put back up camera in Mini, its better to be mandatory for all cars to have dashboard camera then to have backup one. If you don't know to park don't drive take a bus

Old 05-26-2015, 11:50 PM
spingq
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Ever try to use an iPad or iPod at -40°f of c? Same for 140° f (parked car on a hot day)?
Automotive tech lags due to severe tempture requirements AND design cycles.....
And the fact it must be durable enough to survive a decade or more of these extremes along with dust, and vibrations...
Anybody who has ever bought a cheap Chinese aftermarket part...and had it fail in a year knows this..they make some pretty stereo/in car entertainment stuff, but it is crap...
Most of what you said went out with the advent of reliable and cheap solid state storage. Even with slower-than-tech life cycle model changes, you're looking at an average of 3.5 years. The fact is, car manufacturers have a captive audience when it comes to media systems. They are well aware that the quality and ease of use of their stereo is just about the last thing the typical customer is concerned with when purchasing a car, so it's the last thing they concern themselves with in designing and engineering. They also know that a customer that IS interested in a particular media system is willing to pay a premium for it, assuming they are dead set on owning a particular car. That is how they can get away with charging north of $2000 for the addition of a color display with navigation capabilities, something that the majority of consumers have been carrying in their pockets for at least 5 years now. The worst part is that even at the exorbitant costs manufacturers charge, the software being run on most OEM car media systems is painfully unintuitive because of how little is spent on their development. And this is not even tied to manufacturing cycles because firmware is easily upgradeable. Even if the hardware is years behind in processing power, good software development can make up for it in efficient coding.

If you want to complain about how the evil government is forcing consumers to pay more and more for vehicles because of safety regulations, you might as well just ride a bike, because nearly every inch of a modern vehicle is tied to some sort of legislation meant to keep people safe. The times move on, we learn new things and technology becomes so cheap and readily available that it would be vastly irresponsible NOT to require it. Perhaps it's not the safety regulations you should be so adamantly against, but the willingness for government to allow billion dollar corporations to not only pass these costs on to the consumer, but to actually profit off them.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:10 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
The only camera MINI add on system is this :

Advanced Car Eye Camera - Front 66212289726

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/66212289726/

&

Advanced Car Eye Camera - Front & Rear 66212289725

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/66212289725/

, on the F56 its an options , they did have a kit for Navigation cars back in the day for the R53/ R50 and R52 gen 1 MINI , but it went NLA and was $$$.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-27-2015, 02:23 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by spingq
I can't believe you guys aren't seeing this as a positive thing, since it will require all manufacturers to include tech that has up until this point been held for ransom. ....
Okkkkaaayyy, take a deep breath there. Your opinions obviously aren't shared with everyone. "Held for ransom", "vastly irresponsible", and "evil government" are fairly hysterical statements to make. Your perspective is lacking in OEM automotive wisdom.

And just to reiterate what ZippyNH commented on, automotive electronics are subjected to far more extreme certifications [temp, NVH, EMC, et al] than any consumer device. They're also frozen in design years ahead of production.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:36 PM
dongood
4th Gear
I found the commercial that sums up all the negativity shown on this thread towards driving aids.

Just what we need, more lousy drivers.

"But officer, of course I didn't use my brakes, that's my car's responsibility."

Old 05-28-2015, 05:22 AM
ljmiii
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dongood
I found the commercial that sums up all the negativity shown on this thread towards driving aids.
I understand the negativity toward 'automated' driving aids...but don't understand how/why this applies to rear view cameras. A camera mounted to the back of your car allows you to see places you simply can't see from the front seat no matter how brilliant a driver you are. In particular, beneath the window line of the hatch (to see little kids/animals) and around/through the SUV parked next to you (to see cars flying down the street).

Old 05-28-2015, 07:33 AM
Thecluemaster
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ljmiii
I understand the negativity toward 'automated' driving aids...but don't understand how/why this applies to rear view cameras. A camera mounted to the back of your car allows you to see places you simply can't see from the front seat no matter how brilliant a driver you are. In particular, beneath the window line of the hatch (to see little kids/animals) and around/through the SUV parked next to you (to see cars flying down the street).
It's not negativity, as you sad its automated driving, you don't need to be brilliant driver to use mirrors for parking.
It's simply too much driver assistance, and with even more drivers will be to much depend on it..what is gona happen if you use to camera and after a while it stop working

What happened to old school driving

Old 05-28-2015, 10:50 AM
ljmiii
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Thecluemaster
It's not negativity, as you said its automated driving, you don't need to be brilliant driver to use mirrors for parking.
Except that neither rear view mirror nor side view mirrors nor swiveling your head to and fro will reveal the hidden kids, animals, and/or cars shown by a camera mounted at the rear of your vehicle. Given a choice between slooowly backing into traffic and hoping that people will veer out of the way or actually getting to see the cars hurtling down the street I am quite happy to choose seeing. Vis...

Attached Thumbnails When is MINI going to get rear view camera as standard?-img_4082-copy.jpg  
Old 05-28-2015, 11:20 AM
Angib
4th Gear
My grandad believed that drivers should not be allowed on the roads if they were so incapable that they couldn't use a manual advance/retard ignition control and required this new-fangled automatic ignition timing.

'New' is always wrong.

Though if you ask most drivers, coincidentally it is only stuff that was new since they learnt to drive that is really wrong.

It's the same thing as music has always gone to **** since the time when the person speaking was aged 25.....

Quick Reply: When is MINI going to get rear view camera as standard?