General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, about this waving thing....

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 12:17 PM
NH Photo Guy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, about this waving thing....

I waved at three MINI's this morning and no one waved back. I've seen a few, and no one has waved yet. Is the waving thing real other places and not here (southern NH)?

Old 05-09-2015, 12:58 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Waving is good. I always wave. Does everyone you meet on the street reply when you say howdy? If you quit waving, someday you'll pass someone who waved and you didn't then you'd be the jerk. Don't be the jerk. Motor on

Old 05-09-2015, 01:23 PM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The popularity of waving is pretty much based on the scarcity of the automobile brand. I remember back in the 50's all of us VW owners waiving at each other. However,VW owners stopped waiving at each other a long time ago because there is no longer anything unusual about encountering a VW today.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:36 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Flicking your headlights was the old time method of acknowledging another car or cycle owner. The wave thing is almost an afterthought because I didn't see you far in advance.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:06 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
If you make not waving back a capital offence, I suspect NHers still won't (state motto).

Around here, I almost always wave and most wave back still.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:50 PM
isamin
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I wave to all the MINIs and hardly anyone waves back anymore. What I do find strange is that all the "boy racers" in VWs wave and give the "thumbs up" and I in return will give a half hearted wave. I think I'll give the finger to the non-wavers.

ISAMIN

Old 05-09-2015, 03:14 PM
ShipM8
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
More non-wavers than wavers. I will say that the wavers all seem happy and the non-wavers all seem distracted by things other than motoring.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:31 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
I get about 50% wave back around me. I always wave, just a habit now. I took a friend to the Dragon last weekend and she had the best time waving at every.single.solitary.MINI she saw. Made it even more fun for me.

Annette

Old 05-09-2015, 03:34 PM
sltsnowbunny
1st Gear
It's the same with Jeep owners. It used to be Jeep Wrangler owners would wave to each other but when the new Wrangler JK body style came out you get less people waving back. I think motorcycle riders seem to keep the tradition going. My feeling is keep waving and maybe you might get others to start waving back.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:38 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I often give the peace sign to other Mini drivers in California and Oregon and have never got one back. Partly it's hard for the other driver to see through the windshield, partly they don't have time to respond, and partly it's probably easier to see a wave than a peace sign. I've never had a Mini driver wave at me. It's disappointing.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:35 PM
HogWldFLTR
2nd Gear
Given that the OP lives in NH I'm not surprised. I haven't has a single wave in my Mini and almost never on my Harley. New Englanders don't seem to like to wave at each other. Not to mention that there are a crap load of Minis around the area.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:23 PM
NH Photo Guy
1st Gear
Thank you for all the responses. It is enlightening indeed. It is true that New Englanders are not known for warmth toward strangers. I grew up in the Western New York area, and the difference is night and day. There is also a huge difference between the way people look at being neighbors. Here we hardly know them, in spite of reaching out. There neighbors were automatically friends and took care of each other. We have relatives and friends there still, and it hasn't changed. A young lady with two kids and a job, who lives across the street, has taken responsibility for looking after my 92 year old father in law, who is alone now.

On another note, I am also a motorcycle rider. Have been for many years. Riders do mostly wave here still, except during bike week. Can't wave at all the bikes during bike week - you have to use the clutch, horn, or turn signals sometimes.

I've only had the MINI 2 days, so I'll keep waving and see what happens. There are quite a few MINI's around here, so maybe that is part of it.

I've

Old 05-09-2015, 07:06 PM
Stinch
3rd Gear
Here in Connecticut, I get more waves back on weekends than during the week of commuting. I'll keep waving as long as I drive MINI.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:05 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Had one embarrassing wave once. Had to rent a car while mine was in the shop overnight. It was a brand new Jeep sumptin' or other with only a few hundred miles on it. Danged if I didn't get a Jeep wave. No disrespect to the Jeep people, but...whatta ya do?

Old 05-10-2015, 01:52 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Nobody waves in San Francisco, where MINI is a regular everyday car.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:56 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Nine years ago when I first started motoring most every MINI driver waved and it was returned. MINI was then still novel and most owners were enthusuasts. Now due to the shear numbers and an appliance mind set, the WAVE is far and few between. I always wave with two fingers- a greeting always used when I first learned the skill. Now if no wave is returned, I may retract one finger.

Last edited by buzzsaw; 05-11-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:09 AM
Ronin1
1st Gear
Waving

I wave at all of them and get a return on maybe 2 out of 10 cars.

I also wave on the bike but because I ride a "mongrel" Triumph Tiger 800 that doesn't fit sportbike or cruiser molds, it's sketchy. Nearly all sportbike or touring type riders wave but the "chromed doo-rag" crowd are hit or miss. I've actually had guys halfway thru a wave realize it's NOT a Sportster they're waving to and stop and put their hand down.

They always get a single finger wave back.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:49 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The 'funnest' wave I ever got was about two years ago. The Scion FR-S had not been out very long and I was taking mine on a morning drive that had become my daily routine and an oncoming Ferrari gave me a wave. I wish I had been composed enough to respond in time but I wasn't.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:41 AM
sltsnowbunny
1st Gear
Originally Posted by buzzsaw
Nine years ago when I first started motoring most every MINI drivers waved and it was returned. MINI was then still novel and most owners were enthusuasts. Now due to the shear numbers and an appliance mind set, the WAVE is far and few between. I always wave with two fingers- a greeting always used when I first learned the skill. Now if no wave is returned, I may retract one finger.
Okay now that's funny!

Old 05-10-2015, 12:30 PM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by buzzsaw
Nine years ago when I first started motoring most every MINI drivers waved and it was returned. MINI was then still novel and most owners were enthusuasts. Now due to the shear numbers and an appliance mind set, the WAVE is far and few between. I always wave with two fingers- a greeting always used when I first learned the skill. Now if no wave is returned, I may retract one finger.

!!

Old 05-10-2015, 01:13 PM
NH Photo Guy
1st Gear
I got my first wave this morning. Only had the car 3 days now, but 1 in 10 seems to be what I've gotten so far. There seem to be a lot of old ladies driving MINI's, who probably know nothing of the culture. Southern New Hampshire.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:20 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Yea, well, buzzsaw likes to pull the wings off flies too.
I'll hear about that but I'll buy him a glass of good stout and he'll soften his punches.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:02 PM
sltsnowbunny
1st Gear
Originally Posted by NH Photo Guy
I got my first wave this morning. Only had the car 3 days now, but 1 in 10 seems to be what I've gotten so far. There seem to be a lot of old ladies driving MINI's, who probably know nothing of the culture. Southern New Hampshire.

NH Photo Guy watch who you "old ladies". I'm not 50 but I'm older than 20 and I'm sure those "old ladies" know plenty about the culture and have plenty of driving experience.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:54 PM
NH Photo Guy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sltsnowbunny
NH Photo Guy watch who you "old ladies". I'm not 50 but I'm older than 20 and I'm sure those "old ladies" know plenty about the culture and have plenty of driving experience.
Then I'm guessing you don't have white or blue hair, and, since you posted a response, probably wave. My point was that there are a lot of people now who drive the car because they like it or find it practical, but don't buy into the whole British "motoring" identity. They may or may not know anything about it. I didn't before I bought the car. The salesman kind of pushed it. No offense intended.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:31 PM
sltsnowbunny
1st Gear
Originally Posted by NH Photo Guy
Then I'm guessing you don't have white or blue hair, and, since you posted a response, probably wave. My point was that there are a lot of people now who drive the car because they like it or find it practical, but don't buy into the whole British "motoring" identity. They may or may not know anything about it. I didn't before I bought the car. The salesman kind of pushed it. No offense intended.

No offense taken but if I may add that a few years back I went to Sturgis, SD (Harley Davidson rally) and those "blue/white hair old ladies" were riding full size Harleys. I hope I can rock it like them when I get to that age!

I agree that there are people who buy a Mini without knowing anything about them...including salespeople who work for Mini. A few weekends ago we were looking at a Countryman and my husband who is 6'4" stated that he barely fits in the new Minis but fit just fine in his buddy's Morris Mini Minor and the salesman had the deer in the headlights look. He had no idea what he was talking about.

Last edited by sltsnowbunny; 05-10-2015 at 08:59 PM.

Quick Reply: So, about this waving thing....