General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini Basket Case - Bought without an inspection in AUS

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 02:22 AM
Rrotz
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Basket Case - Bought without an inspection in AUS

Hey gang, here's the back story. 2 weeks ago I bought a 2004 Facelift MY05 Mini Cooper Sport R53 sight unseen from a Honda dealer in Sydney. I was planning to upgrade it all anyway slowly.

So, I take it to have a roadworthy vehicle inspection and before I can even get it on the road the Mechano has discovered:
  1. Front Disc Rotors Undersized
  2. Rear Disc Rotors Undersized
  3. Engine Oil Leaks (Gaskets)
  4. Power Steering Leaks (Hoses)

So, I sourced:

Front/Rear Brembo Rotors and Akebono Pads - $600AUD

The mechano is going to source the gaskets and hoses but also discovered:
  1. front shocks and Castor Bushings need replacing
  2. Fan Housing Part No 17117541092
  3. Clutch Flywheel Rattle (I discovered this before I bought it)

I already started buying and sourcing some Mods that I want done when the other stuff needs to be done and need to decide on how to lower it, either with Eibach springs or AP Coilovers.

List of Mods that I want done with the clutch replacement:
  1. Alta 15% Pulley with colder plugs and belt w/ puller tool AND I got a seperate Alta puller tool
  2. JCW Exhaust or other comparable Aftermarket Exhaust
  3. JCW or Alta CAI (whichever is loudest with a foam filter
  4. Nology Plug Wires and Ignition Coil
  5. Lowered with Eibach Springs or AP Coilovers (do they make coilovers for the R53?)
  6. Craven Speed Adjustable Short Shifter w/ Whalen **** and E-Brake
  7. Stubby 4.7in Carbon Fiber Antenna

It's like an episode of Overhaulin' that's going way over budget. My budget for upgrades is $4500 and just getting it on the road is going to eat $1000 bucks into my budget.

What should I do here gang? Otherwise, it's a beauty inside and out. It's got the Chrono pack, Panoramic sunroof and Leather Seats. I won't even be able to do any cosmetic mods like a JCW front grill and Carbon Fiber details.

Last edited by Rrotz; 04-28-2015 at 02:59 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:09 AM
americo11
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
It's one thing to start buying things that the car needs and another to buy what you want! I would take care of the needs first and later on build up to the upgrades. You will certainly never run out of mods that you will want to do because they are endless...the minute you think your done there are more. Besides you never know what will come out of the blue that will need attention...take it all in stride and don't try to rebuild the entire car. Just my two cents...

Old 04-28-2015, 04:34 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
+1 on buying the things you NEED first, then when it is affordable getting the things you want...

Get it roadworthy and up and driving, then after getting the feel for it on the road maybe the aftermarket suspension MODs can wait a little later, this could keep as much as $1800-2200 in your budget. As well as the JCW exhaust (if the current one is still serviceable and trouble free) the exhaust could save you $850-1000 for now.

Keeping as much as $3200.00 upfront you can focus on getting the car back on the road and enjoying it, then tackle the suspension and exhaust in six or eight months.

Motor on!

Old 04-28-2015, 08:56 AM
Charlie Victor
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
++1 on need before want. You gotta have the car safe and sound first - that's paramount. Mods can wait. Besides, doing all your mods up front kind of short changes the process. Get the car squared away and back on the road, and then add your mods one or two at a time. Then you get to enjoy the "new" all over again each time!

Old 04-28-2015, 09:58 AM
Rrotz
2nd Gear
Awesome advice guys, I'm like a Russian....I don't take a dump without a plan.

I want to try and minimize postage, combine shipping and gather up all the parts needed at once, then maybe more slowly have mods added on every few months.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:18 AM
Rrotz
2nd Gear
I'm looking at this thing with the glass half full. I want to upgrade everything anyway so to me, it's a blank canvas.

What's the best lowering option? I don't want it lowered to the max but lowered enough for daily driving but still looking good. Do I get springs or coilovers and what's the best options for both springs and coilovers?

Last edited by Rrotz; 05-01-2015 at 04:27 AM.