General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tint - Heat Rejection

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 10:50 AM
chicohuahua
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Window Tint - Heat Rejection

I called up my local tint shop to schedule an appointment to finally get some film on my windows.

The tint installer told me that since the windows on our Mini's are almost vertical and are so small, he thinks it isn't worth going top of the line SunTek tint. Perhaps like a 10% difference in heat rejection at most between Suntek CXP vs Suntek Carbon.

For a car with a large back window that lays pretty flat (like a corvette), he said the heat rejection qualities of a top line tint would really make a difference. But for our cars, not so much.

Is the installer blowing smoke? Any of you guys got any input?

Old 04-27-2015, 10:59 AM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
He is probably correct. But when I have mine redone it will be with the best I can get. Why save $10-20 and not get the best? Now if it's $100-200 savings I might think twice. I do not know what the original owner put on my car but it is getting knocked up now so time to make it look new again.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:04 AM
chicohuahua
2nd Gear
If it were a $10-20 difference, then it's an easy decision. The difference here is roughly $60, enough to make it a tougher choice.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:05 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
why would the guy blow smoke to get you to buy less? Is he out of the good stuff? Is the good stuff harder to install?

sounds like a dude trying to build an "honest" rep . . .

I got a similar story and took the recommendation and have been happy. Guy I used also said I got a 100% satisfaction warranty; if I decided I was not happy the job would be redone and I could upgrade paying only the difference.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:43 PM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Another question is where do you live? I live in Arizona where temps are easily 110+. That 10% would be well worth $60 to me. If you live in Alaska maybe not so much.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:36 PM
J 13
2nd Gear
Sounds like he's being honest..

Tint is probably one thing i spent so much on and still happy about to this day. I opted for the huper optik 40's all around including the sunroof.

I'll probably get the huper optik 70 on my windshield soon

Old 04-27-2015, 06:02 PM
SamtheSham152
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seldom hear anyone trying to "Downsell". Main thing is your location. I am in S.W. Florida. Temp from May to October is usually 90-95 degrees. Since I cannot drive the Mini into the pool, as I do myself, I get as much tint as possible. My local guy has a relatively new product that is ceramic. Looks pretty much like regular tint, but use a heat lamp against it, and you will be amazed at the difference. It is an extra $100 but here it is worth it. Maybe in Arizona also???

Old 04-27-2015, 06:06 PM
spingq
4th Gear
i suppose he could be right, but if you don't go with the higher quality tint you originally decided on, you'll always wonder how much cooler your interior could have been. if you do go for the high end, you'll know for sure and never doubt yourself.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:33 PM
TBRoye
4th Gear
We live in Sacramento, CA and get 100+ so we got the best we could legally 50% in the front and 20% in the back and will get some really reflective stuff for the sun roofs next month

Old 04-27-2015, 08:24 PM
chicohuahua
2nd Gear
I live in NE Florida so we definitely get a good amount of heat for the better part of the year. I definitely see both sides- the practical me says I should save my money since it likely won't be a perceivable difference. But the extravagant me says go for it!

Old 04-29-2015, 11:17 PM
SODA66
4th Gear
Tint

Originally Posted by chicohuahua
I called up my local tint shop to schedule an appointment to finally get some film on my windows.

The tint installer told me that since the windows on our Mini's are almost vertical and are so small, he thinks it isn't worth going top of the line SunTek tint. Perhaps like a 10% difference in heat rejection at most between Suntek CXP vs Suntek Carbon.

For a car with a large back window that lays pretty flat (like a corvette), he said the heat rejection qualities of a top line tint would really make a difference. But for our cars, not so much.

Is the installer blowing smoke? Any of you guys got any input?
I know the side windows are small compared to regular cars, but you sit low in the Mini and I find the sun if more of a problem than in other cars. I get a lot more sun from my Mini than I do from my Volvo Wagon or Infiniti, especially with the big glass sunroof which really heats the car up. My opinion is to get the one with the most heat reduction especially the side windows.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:30 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Doing the sunroof was the biggest difference. That thing is a solar oven lens... I went with 5% limo tint on it.. Huge difference. I didn't even bother with the sides or back.

Since the MINI has an actual antenna, ceramic should be fine. On my other cars that have the antenna in the rear window, ceramic is a no no...

Old 04-30-2015, 04:44 PM
TJANK
4th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Go with the carbon. Metallic tint can impede cell phone and GPS signals.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:17 PM
info@eurovision
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by richardsperry
Doing the sunroof was the biggest difference. That thing is a solar oven lens... I went with 5% limo tint on it.. Huge difference. I didn't even bother with the sides or back.

Since the MINI has an actual antenna, ceramic should be fine. On my other cars that have the antenna in the rear window, ceramic is a no no...
- ceramic is non conductive ...
- rejects more heat
- not much more in cost when compared to a high quality carbon
- Carbon will always have a slight haze to it, ceramic will rarely have anything like it
- aesthetically Ceramic will usually have a nicer Black/Charcoal look vs Carbon that normally will have a green or bluish charcoal finish.

These are just some facts about the differences in these 2 types of films.

In response to the original post ... I want you guys to think about something ... when your driving north to south and vise versa ... the sun will usually hit you on the driver side or passenger side ... why would this be any different for your passengers? At some point during the day the sun will hit your windows vertical or not. Not to mention heat from the Sun is not only direct, there is indirect heat that will come through the glass as well. With this in mind and wanting to protect yourself and your loved ones from the harmful effects of the sun, why would you not want a good or the best film that fits your budget to protect them and yourself?

Here is a Diagram from the Skin Cancer association ... if having vertical glass does not require you from having a good film ... we need to figure out why this diagram shows differently.

Name:  tint-uv-chart_zpsocqpqkud.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  18.0 KB As you can see most of the UV/IR/Solar damage is from the driver window then the windshield area.

Now .. in no way am I posting this to call anyone out .. I am posting this so share fact and information that is useful to you all in order to make a good educated decision. Knowledge is power guys lets share it. Feel free to ask any questions or concerns. Or if you just wanna rant ... knock yourself out

Cheers!