General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Owner: Day#1 issues - checking with you guys first

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 02:57 PM
deschodt
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Owner: Day#1 issues - checking with you guys first

I picked up a used 2007 Cooper S Cabrio on friday (49K miles, stick). All went well - fun car although I regret listening to my wife and getting a flexible chassis cabrio - until we were about to leave the dealership (Ford) and a passenger airbag light turned on briefly, went away, then came back.

Normally I'd have made stink and left the car there, but while we were doing paperwork on the car I got a phone call that our kid got injured at school so I wasn't in a mood to stick around. The salesman turned the car off / on and the light went away, and so did I... (the kid turned out fine incidentally, which in the grand scheme of things I'll gladly trade for a stinking airbag light ;-)

The next day here comes the passenger airbag light again... So after perusing the forums, I figure the mat under the passenger seat is toast... I booked the car @ Mini tomorrow and emailed the Ford guys, but I'd like to have my ducks in a row. My questions, if you would indulge me:

- The (ford) salesman saw the light once, even mentioned it in the "thank you" email. Is it even legal for them to sell me a car that showed an airbag light in their parking lot ? granted 5 minutes after I signed, but still...

- The extended warranty that I read about on airbags mats - apparently that extends to 2005 cars but not all the way to 2007s ? A 2007 that would suffer the same issue would not be under the same recall / warranty extension ?

- I used to own one of the first New minis years ago and I remember putting sparcos in and ignoring the light.... I can do the same, (the ignore part) but can I legally resell a car years down the road with an airbag light on ?

I'm downloading software / ordering cables already, because that sounds like the dreaded seat cushion$$$ !

Last edited by deschodt; 03-30-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:57 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Bring it back to FORD dealer, make them deal with it. Having the email is priceless.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:49 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Yep, minnie.the.moocher has good advice. I'd take it back to ford. Did they give you any kind of warranty, like 30 days or something? You really don't want to be driving a car that has issues with safety..

Old 03-30-2015, 06:57 PM
americo11
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Yup as has been said Minni is right because it is an acknowledgment that it was present at time of purchase. They will have to dig in and replace what is actually wrong with it. Not You!

Old 03-31-2015, 08:10 AM
deschodt
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by americo11
Yup as has been said Minni is right because it is an acknowledgment that it was present at time of purchase. They will have to dig in and replace what is actually wrong with it. Not You!
i am doing that, and the car is at Mini today for diagnosis... But legally I am not sure the dealer is liable for anything - the only thing in my favor was the light showed on site and I have that email. But used car sale, as is, etc... Dunno ! Haven't heard back yet, so I'm digging into NCS expert (ugh).

Old 03-31-2015, 08:32 AM
chappybmode
3rd Gear
i know its hard because it is a new car, but i would be patient.
make sure the dealership is not going to cover it before you spend any of your money

Old 03-31-2015, 08:33 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
^No, I'm sure there's some 'as is, where is' language in your sales agreement. If it is your seat bag, you can always bypass the impedance check by installing a 4 ohm resistor at the yellow seat connector. That, of course is not the elegant way of fixing it, but it'll turn out the light. Sometimes the "Pyrotechnic disconnect" at the seat belt fails. That'd be a good candidate to just replace--they're not crazy expensive like airbags.

Realize that you are paying dealership prices if you go to a dealership. Find a qualified, reputable MINI mechanic in your area and you'll save a bunch.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:59 PM
deschodt
2nd Gear
Thanks, good advice...

Note I'm going to the dealership to get it diagnosed. Not repaired, not on my dime.

So far the selling dealer has been superb. They called the Mini Service and will pick up the tab on the diagnostic. Not sure yet what that will reveal. If it's a $600-2000 (per this board) seat cushion I don't know that their good grace will extend this far. Then again I have proof they sold a car with a defective airbag (light on premises) so that might be a legal no-no for them???? Hopefully.

If not I will definitely investigate an independent (mind, they cost about as much per hour here in the bay area) and also the software disabling of the mat. But looks like the seller is picking up the tab so far.... Fingers crossed.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:06 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
I don't know what state you live in, but in AZ all used vehicles sold by a dealer come with an 'Implied Warranty'. That means if a dealer sells a vehicle with a known major defect, that are on the hook to get it repaired.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:15 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Hopefully the dealer you got it from will work with you and help out. You never know. Just remember you catch more flys with honey.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 04-01-2015, 04:49 PM
deschodt
2nd Gear
News, crazy news...

So yes the entire seat must be replaced for the stupid airbag sensor... Good news is the selling dealer will pay for it !!! There must be a legal reason behind it, I don't think they are into philantropy ! But I appreciate it !!

In other news, the Mini dealer (where the car is at now) spotted a leaky water pump... So they say anyway. They want $1400 to replace it !!! I told the guy I paid $800 to have a CaymanS water pump done, and there was no way I'd pay that.... I checked with an independent on my way home, $500, more like it !!! Jeezus !!! 3 days of Mini ownership and I already am turned off the brand dealer. Unlikely I'll see the car again for a couple weeks, they must order a matching seat, and then I need to take it elsewhere for the pump...

Less than impressed so far - not as much by the failures - but by the stupid design elements and outright robbery perpetrated by the dealer.
(to be clear, the mini dealer. The selling dealer ford - are doing the right thing)

Last edited by deschodt; 04-01-2015 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:59 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Selling dealer probably concerned about reputation and could just be an honest bunch of people - it does happen.

Many people trade in cars because they are due for repairs - having a pre-inspection by a qualified mechanic can be priceless.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:13 PM
deschodt
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Selling dealer probably concerned about reputation and could just be an honest bunch of people - it does happen.

Many people trade in cars because they are due for repairs - having a pre-inspection by a qualified mechanic can be priceless.
Yeah. The selling dealer (Ford) is doing right by me. I don't expect them to cover the pump, just the airbag.

The Mini dealer OTOH asking $1400 for a water pump? Seems a little out of hand, don't you think? And requiring new seat for an airbag sensor is just bad design / poor warranty....

Old 04-01-2015, 06:02 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Hang in there. Get the new seats installed, then have an independent do the water pump. Water pump (and thermostat housing) are common failures on these cars.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:36 PM
deschodt
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AZdsrt
Hang in there. Get the new seats installed, then have an independent do the water pump. Water pump (and thermostat housing) are common failures on these cars.
That's pretty much what I'm doing :-)
Can anyone confirm the cost of a new pump installed in an R52?

Old 04-01-2015, 09:08 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Old 04-02-2015, 09:03 AM
deschodt
2nd Gear
Thank you, useful estimator... I don't see much on the site in terms of actual non-dealer costs, I guess people get it done under warranty or water pumps are super reliable (ha!) .

On a side note, I just heard back from the selling dealer's customer rep (Ford Lincoln of Livermore, CA). They officially approved paying for the entire seat ($$$) and they are trying to also cover part of the water pump. At least the parts and some labor... I am super impressed by those guys - it is a used AS-IS car after all - much less impressed by the Mini dealer's hourly rates or book times for performing work. Might make me consider a Ford - which I'd never thought I'd say.

Now we wait for the seat to arrive... I will drive this Mini again, someday, maybe this month !!

Last edited by deschodt; 04-02-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:40 AM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
I have the best of both worlds. Wife drives a '12 MCS, I drive an '08 Mustang. I prefer good old american muscle, but enjoy the Mini once in a while..

Old 04-02-2015, 12:14 PM
Vkng
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here are the steps for water pump replacement. $500 sounds about right for the job at an independent.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:46 AM
deschodt
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Vkng
Here are the steps for water pump replacement. $500 sounds about right for the job at an independent.
Steps didn't make it through. But thanks for confirming ballpark ;-)

I got the car back from the Mini dealer (step 1, airbag). That bit was $1300 or so, actually less than some mentioned. $700 parts and the rest labor and taxes. Light is off.
They reminded me of the water pump leak but had the good grace to understand when I said I was not paying $1440 for the job.

Drove it straight to the independant for the water pump. I imagine they will want to do other things like Thermostat or serpentine belt. It was fun driving the car again (only 3 miles, watching water temps like a hawk) - only drove it once since I bought it ;-(

Old 04-07-2015, 10:01 PM
deschodt
2nd Gear
In conclusion

So in conclusion:

-airbag sensor mat -> $1263 - 715 parts + 483 labor + tax (paid for by selling dealer)
- Water pump estimate @ Mini : $1446
- Water pump at (independent): $720 - exactly half, done in a day ! (paid for by me ;-(

Also good news from the mechanic, the car is sound, "very nice for its age" (low miles), and the belts/Thermostat etc looked A-OK. The pump WAS leaking like a sieve though... I talked clutch for reference, he said they can do it around $1500-1600. While the dealer likes to dismantle to car, they can drop the motor a bit, the tranny a bit, whatever they do saves some labor... Also they said clutches were more or less normal wear rates, like any other car so at 49K miles I should be OK as long as the previous owner knew how to drive... Good to know vs. all you read on forums ;-)

So tonight to celebrate (car went from purchase to service immediately, I only drove it once in the 2 weeks since I bought it) I replaced the cabrio trim in the back and was gonna do the A-pillar trim (broken) too but it looks like ECS sent me the wrong part. Happens... The car looks brand new with the fresh rubber around the convertible top. X brace on the way as well to remedy the "wet noodle" chassis rigidity, hopefully.

Love the car... Quick Q: those extra headlamps on the grill, are they easily wired in (existing harness) or is it a lot of work ?

Old 04-08-2015, 06:02 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
The Lights are not hard or to time consuming to do, if you get them as a KIT they will come with everything you need, it includes a harness and I think the most time consuming thing is installing the switch, you have to take your time making the hole in the lower panel (if you install it in the recommended location).

I didn't put the X brace on mine but I did add the JCW Front Strut Tower Brace, to tighten up the front end... I'm running 62K+ miles on mine and the clutch is fine... I did replace the clutch on my 2004 R53 MC40 #24 at around 240K miles...

Motor on!