General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow, Second Date - You Should Get One

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 02:43 PM
isleofbones
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, Second Date - You Should Get One

Well, my salesman called this week and scheduled the mini "second date" for which I have been anxiously waiting. I had about 20 specific questions. These questions evolved as I drove my 2015 MCS. Issues such as music volume not diminishing while nav voice made announcements... to USB questions related to my smart phone... to A/C issues (comes on automatically, even when I was looking for heat). Anyway, my salesman took about a half hour and answered all of my questions. He is one of an increasingly rare commodity, salesmen who are actually experts in their knowledge of the product that they are selling. Most of the issues were based on some of my misconceptions / misunderstandings. The dealer topped off my gas too. The bottom line, I urge every new purchaser, especially older guys like me who aren't experts on technology, to take advantage of the second date. Good info, an opportunity to get the most out of your new mini.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:33 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
That's awesome!

I think the key is to have someone who knows their stuff and is willing to spend the time with you.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:41 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
Second Date

I didn't realize that there was a "second date", but my salesman contacted me after the sale and invited me to come to the dealership and help me with any questions that I had with my '15S. I took him up on the offer and he helped me with a few things. Great service!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by dpcompt; 03-02-2015 at 05:44 PM. Reason: change
Old 03-02-2015, 08:22 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
As a used car buyer, didn't get second date. I turned on mood lighting and read the owners manual.

The following users liked this post:
MMM (06-21-2019)
Old 03-03-2015, 11:05 AM
isleofbones
2nd Gear
I am a big believer in reading the manual. I did have some questions, however, that I couldn't find answers for in the manual. Anyway, the second date was useful. Maybe your salesman would arrange for a follow - up, even if its not officially a second date, if you have any questions that you don't find answers to in the manual. On the other hand, you are probablly much more technologically adept than I am.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:15 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by isleofbones
On the other hand, you are probablly much more technologically adept than I am.
Possibly, but I really don't like all the tech stuff in the cars now. Other than the USB music playing I could be happier in a 70's BMW (2002tii).

What part of LI are you in? I spent my first 30 years on LI.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:03 PM
isleofbones
2nd Gear
I agree with you on the tech. My previous vehicle of 6 years was a 1984 Land Rover D-90, 200tdi. Not a single thing approaching modern technology came near that truck. Even the fuel injected diesel was mechanical injection, not electronic. A/C was provided by wrapping frozen water bottles in wet rags and placing them in front of the front air vents. But, then again, I never broke down in over 6 years. Anyway, I live in Hicksville.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:48 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's what I don't get... setting aside the free services, how is this different from rolling up to your dealership and asking the MA to go over your questions? I admit, I'm spoiled, having several dealerships within 20 miles of me and my preferred on just over the hill. but I always pop in and pick the brains of the MA and SA staff when I come across something I can't solve on NAM, int he manual, or online...

Old 03-03-2015, 01:00 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Some people are reluctant to go back and ask questions. Setting up an appointment seems like a good marketing strategy to show they care about the customer. I went back and complained about a few items and the SA was busy but the manager took care of me on both items. Made me happy, the local VW dealer for my wifes car gets a negative in after purchase follow up - they suck, but the car is good.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:04 PM
isleofbones
2nd Gear
I think that the second date differs from just stopping by a dealership because a pre-determined appointment ensures that you will have a set period of time to address a full set of questions. I had assembled a list of 20 issues to discuss in the almost 2 months of ownership before I had my second date. As questions arose, I would jot them down. Also, just stopping by a dealership to pick the brains of a SA or MA would be a major crap shoot in the New York Metro area. Almost all local dealerships, regardless of manufacturer, have lots of shoppers. In fact, I left the first dealership I went to when I initially shopped for my car because the dealership was so busy that I did not receive a salesman in over a half hour. Not complaining, just pointing out that dealerships in our area are very busy. Also, I think the formal "second Date" is a good idea in that it gives you the opportunity to really commit all of your questions to writing, think over all of the details, read the owners manual, do your homework and show up prepared for a really great education. I learned a heck of a lot on the second date.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:52 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
That's a good analysis... sounds like a great program. Plus, going back to the early 00s what MINI excelled at was making the customer their marketer. We invested emotionally to some degree in the culture, enthusiastically showing off the car and answering questions out on the street when people would come up and check it out... keeping customers engaged and feeling valued after purchase isn't just good for the dealership's word of mouth and potential future client purchasing decisions, but for the brand as a whole.