General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 point harness

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 08:25 PM
yukinoinu
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 point harness

Anyone have a 4 point harness installed in their cooper? I know you need a street legal 4 point, just wondering if anyone has one, if they hate it on the road or if they hate it on the track at all?

Old 01-28-2015, 04:42 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
I do... in all three of my MINIs and in my Dodge Challenger R/T

The only draw back I have with them for street driving is you can't lean forward to open the glove box without releasing it.

I really like them, and for track use it works with and without a HANS.

These are the ones I use...

https://www.schrothracing.com/tuning/quick-fit/qf-mini

Motor on!

Old 01-28-2015, 05:38 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Old 01-28-2015, 09:55 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I dislike four-point belts. They can all too easily twist the buckle so it digs into your abdomen. And the shoulder belts can pull up on the lap belt, which should be down low on your hips for best effect.

Five- or six-point belts are the way to go, IMHO. I think Schroth may make street-legal five-points?

Old 01-28-2015, 09:40 PM
Sp4rtan
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think there is such a thing as a street-legal 4-point, and every racing organization that I have run with prohibits them. Reason is that if you hit something you will submarine. The crotch strap is mandatory. A three point is actually safer because it allows the upper body to flop forward enough that you won't squirt out the bottom.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:44 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
what organization is that? it's perfectly fine for SCCA Solo, at any regional or national event. the schroth's i use have "ASM" anti submarining technology or some nonsense.. regardless, i wouldn't ever wear a harness on the street... get tboned and your neck is coming off lol

Old 01-29-2015, 01:35 AM
yukinoinu
3rd Gear
no offense but I don't know how I would feel about a second hand harness... It kind of sounds like used boxers...

Old 01-29-2015, 01:40 AM
yukinoinu
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Slave to Felines
I dislike four-point belts. They can all too easily twist the buckle so it digs into your abdomen. And the shoulder belts can pull up on the lap belt, which should be down low on your hips for best effect.

Five- or six-point belts are the way to go, IMHO. I think Schroth may make street-legal five-points?
So I went to my local racing shop (425 motorsports) and talked with the guy (was about helmets but also checked out harness) and schrothhas road legal 4 points for the mini. One is a lap belt where you have them stitched together and then the pro which is the buckle? I guess where 4 come together and it seemed like that was better about sliding up. My car is a DD so 5 point is not legal, at least anything I've seen is illegal..

Old 01-29-2015, 01:42 AM
yukinoinu
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kyoo
what organization is that? it's perfectly fine for SCCA Solo, at any regional or national event. the schroth's i use have "ASM" anti submarining technology or some nonsense.. regardless, i wouldn't ever wear a harness on the street... get tboned and your neck is coming off lol
I also have a knife in my car that is for cutting belts and breaking windows... (never know just cool to have if you need it) but really if you get T-boned in a normal seat belt you are still going to be hurting really regardless of a harness or not.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:44 AM
yukinoinu
3rd Gear
well this is all helpful info and do appreciate it. I don't know if I am getting one or really need one or not but if I do I am probably getting a 4 pro http://www.schrothracing.com/tuning/...t-pro/qfp-mini

Old 01-29-2015, 05:43 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
only idiots wear harnesses for road driving

Old 01-29-2015, 07:46 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
That's a pretty strong statement.

We used to install quite a few of the Schroth harnesses, but over time, with several track-day sanctioning bodies disallowing them, their popularity has waned.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:49 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
i'll say it is unwise then - get t-boned in the right spot and your neck is coming off

Old 01-29-2015, 12:46 PM
yukinoinu
3rd Gear
Were you not just selling one? Anyways I'm 19 and I don't want to get a second car just so I can make my mini a track monster. Yes, they are not so common but with people who don't want to get a dedicated DD this is kind of the only option. Personally I already look out of place being a young kid with an expensive car, but don't care and the track monsters I've seen around here have street legal 4 points. Call us idiots but I really don't want to install and uninstall a 4 point for track days or events.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:15 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by yukinoinu
Were you not just selling one? Anyways I'm 19 and I don't want to get a second car just so I can make my mini a track monster. Yes, they are not so common but with people who don't want to get a dedicated DD this is kind of the only option. Personally I already look out of place being a young kid with an expensive car, but don't care and the track monsters I've seen around here have street legal 4 points. Call us idiots but I really don't want to install and uninstall a 4 point for track days or events.
the harness which i just sold (and bought in a different color just now) is a quick release harness - in other words, for street/road driving, I still use the factory 3 point, and the harness isn't used.

Then when I autox, legally sanctioned & in a safe environment, I use the 4 point harness. I'm just saying, don't wear a harness when u go to walmart at 11pm for milk, keep use of the 3 point, it's the safest for normal road driving.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:19 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
We have them here new in different colors, quick connects :

"R50 R52 R53 version"

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...eat-belts.html

Good luck with the track days, for daily I think they are the best if you want a schroth set up.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-01-2015, 08:19 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We use a Schroth one in the MINI for autocross, and only for autocross. Being harnessed is an advantage for autocross. I don't use it on track as we don't have a roll bar. If you get trapped in a rollover with a harness and no roll bar you're getting squashed. It'd be pretty silly to use it on the street, but is legal.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:30 PM
yukinoinu
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Btwyx
We use a Schroth one in the MINI for autocross, and only for autocross. Being harnessed is an advantage for autocross. I don't use it on track as we don't have a roll bar. If you get trapped in a rollover with a harness and no roll bar you're getting squashed. It'd be pretty silly to use it on the street, but is legal.
Yeah it would a little bit... but for the autocross season that starts Feb 21st lasts to October 3rd with events all in short distance of me I would love to keep it installed.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:40 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
they're quick connects.... look at the info people are giving you

Old 02-02-2015, 12:10 AM
yukinoinu
3rd Gear
they're quick connects.... look at the info people are giving you
I know mate, I am. It overall is my car though, I am thankful for the info but the decision is mine to make and I am lazy so if I install them they are staying..

Old 02-02-2015, 05:27 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lazy, dumb, and bad music... Great combo there... (sorry, I kid again...lol)

You gonna run your DOT R compounds all the time to avoid changing wheels too?

Sorry, but if you are serious enough about autocross where you think a 4 point harness is helping, then you also need dedicated wheels and tires. Which means you are at least doing something at the event. It literally takes 5 seconds to install the quick fit harnesses... You'll spend more time looking for the lug bolt you dropped.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:23 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry
Lazy, dumb, and bad music... Great combo there... (sorry, I kid again...lol)

You gonna run your DOT R compounds all the time to avoid changing wheels too?

Sorry, but if you are serious enough about autocross where you think a 4 point harness is helping, then you also need dedicated wheels and tires. Which means you are at least doing something at the event. It literally takes 5 seconds to install the quick fit harnesses... You'll spend more time looking for the lug bolt you dropped.
exactly. i leave the rear's clipped in when i drive, and then clip in the fronts when i autox, done. that's why i'm not sure he's actually reading/looking at the quickfit harness. maybe not literally 5 seconds, but ltierally 30 seconds yes.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:10 AM
yukinoinu
3rd Gear
If your name is, Btwyx, ECSTuning, Helix13mini, Slave to Felines, Sp4rtan, JABowders This is in no way directed towards you. I am not talking about any of you but if you want you are welcome to read what I wrote below. Sorry to you guys.

I
'll post this all for you old people to understand. "LOL" does not make something not insulting. If you need to insult a 19 year old who is already at the same wealth level as most of you then have at it, because you clearly need something to make your life much better. I really cannot believe any of you that posted on here call yourselves "adults". You really should look at how you treat someone, if you think I am ignorant that is your choice. If you think I am stupid for driving a car around with a harness well cool keep it to yourself. I really do not care. It is my freaking car and you people need to shut up. I have 22 posts on this question. I think there were 5 helpful ones, and 17 one about saying how stupid I am for wanting to drive around with a freaking harness. Why don't you cranky old men go find a hobby. You really need to look at what car culture is about. If you think everyone driving the same freaking car, same color, stock and plain, Well you are not a car culture, you are a cult. Stop picking on a 19 year old to make yourself feel better, really I laugh at you people because I'm already at the point you people are and you are 20+ years older than me.

Again I'm sorry to the few people that were kind to me, I thank you for your help and sorry that you had to read this.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:38 AM
AndyPWR53
4th Gear
If you need to insult a 19 year old who is already at the same wealth level as most of you then have at it
So now you know how much money everybody makes? Thats a really ignorant statement for someone as intellectually superior as yourself.

you think I am stupid for driving a car around with a harness well cool keep it to yourself. I really do not care. It is my freaking car and you people need to shut up. I have 22 posts on this question. I think there were 5 helpful ones, and 17 one about saying how stupid I am for wanting to drive around with a freaking harness
You're first post asked if people hate it on the road. They replied telling you its dumb to use it on the road. I don't get what your point here is.

really need to look at what car culture is about. If you think everyone driving the same freaking car, same color, stock and plain, Well you are not a car culture, you are a cult
So car culture is now all about driving around with race harnesses on? Sweet mod bro.

picking on a 19 year old to make yourself feel better, really I laugh at you people because I'm already at the point you people are and you are 20+ years older than me
Again, you have no idea where people here are at. Get off your high horse. I'm the same age as you and drive a newer, more expensive car if you want to be like that. Get on my level bro.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:58 AM
AndyPWR53
4th Gear

I have 22 posts on this question. I think there were 5 helpful ones, and 17 one about saying how stupid I am for wanting to drive around with a freaking harness.
PS you aren't accounting for your own posts. You have 9 of them. Do you even math, bro?

Quick Reply: 4 point harness