General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trees are nice to look at from a distance Wanted Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 05:41 PM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trees are nice to look at from a distance Wanted Help

Hi would anyone have a Cooper S R56 donor car for a rebuild mine just caught some black ice and went spiraling into a tree. Great fun but now I need something to rebuild something not running or even stripped down mostly need a body I think. Thanks oh 07-08 probably best but any suggestions would be great Thanks

Old 01-14-2015, 06:49 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Oh that just sucks...
Sorry to hear that.
It seems everyone is ok...Right?
How bad is the car and what parts are you looking for?
Or are you looking for a replacement car that you can add your parts to?
Try looking through the Marketplace. There are a lot of people parting out cars and if it is body panels you are looking for, you might be able to make a deal for an empty body. On the other hand, there are plenty of MINIs for sale on the Marketplace too.
Good luck with the repairs.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:43 AM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
Yes Everyone is Ok.
More bruised pride and heavy heart more than anything else.
Had the Mini set up just right, Except perhaps getting a winter alignment and not having so much camber and toe on the rear. Seems obvious now but when the outside wheel gets an icy shoulder the inside pushes out and you get to watch the world spin.
I am writing this instead of going out and doing the day after assessment but it got the passenger door real good and the suspension took a beating. The engine and trans seem ok and it was a fairly fresh build so the best would be a not running but otherwise ok car, then a stripped car would be next as long as it has what I need, last would be a full car.
I will check out the market section
but let me know if you see anything
Thanks

Old 01-15-2015, 08:11 AM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm very glad you are OK. Snow tires need to be part of your winter setup. Good luck finding another shell.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:56 AM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
If Anyone reads this still contact me if you have a car you think I might be interested in.

Well with the door off and a look under neath I think it might be worth having it put on a rack if the door pillar didn't move it may have a chance but the lower front control arm is a pretzel and there is a chunk out of the wheel but it still has air in the tire but it is an Enki RPF1 and they can take more hit than might be good.

for anyone thinking about how tough these cars are I think my experiment on side impact was an A rating, things that should give gave but the interior space was hardly touched.

Yes Canadian Rated Snow Tires I used to live on a hill 1/4 mile from the road with only a tractor and a Honda Civic, the good old ones, and with momentum even wet ice was possible to navigate, fixed trailing arm axle though.

Unfortunately I really like the Michelin Pilot sport A/S 3 but they are really not up to winter and should be considered extended summer tires I thought I could just be careful and avoid messy days problem is an icy turn on an otherwise clear road catching me by surprise,,,, sort of Deeeeeer are not my friends. I still think It might be a good Idea to have minimum camber and toe in the back so the rear wont kick out as much, it is not an immediate thing but not linear either if that makes sense.

Hmm the Mini is kind of interesting minus the door perhaps a bar across and some knobby tires

Thanks

Old 01-15-2015, 02:21 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Get your MINI to a good shop & have it evaluated. Maybe it can be saved. Good luck.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:57 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Waking up a past thread...

Euler - whatever became of your MINI?

Old 03-31-2015, 05:53 PM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
Working on it..... its just been so cold until recently, that I haven't been in the garage too much. I got a perfect matched door and it fit in and the seems all line up, checked the geometry as best I can and it seems OK, There is a bit of ummm bruising to the sill beneath the passenger door that I will get fixed by a body shop but its not as bad as I thought, the plastic trim has a bit of space before you get to metal and the inner sill parts are more structural and were spared. I still need to redo the entire suspension and since the lower control arm needs to come out, the front sub frame has to be dropped, so I might as well take that out. Thinking of maybe doing some structural strengthening work but I will have to see, I would like to make it to a track day sooner rather than later. I am still looking about for a second r56 N14 to fix up so I can enjoy working on my car without it being out of service. But so far prices have not made sense yet. I know too much about the N14

Old 03-31-2015, 07:05 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
This might help:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...html?styleid=7

Any interest in doing some track time at WGI? BMWCCA chapters run some great events there.

Last edited by Eddie07S; 03-31-2015 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 03-31-2015, 08:30 PM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
Hi thanks for the link. I'm up for trying the BMWCCA at Watkins Glen I see there are different chapters do you have an event you would recommend?

Old 04-01-2015, 07:27 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
BMW CCA - Genesee Valley (near Rochester) and Patroons (Albany) Chapters both run great events. Strong emphasis on learning with really good instructors and classroom sessions. They also run very well controlled session; better than what I found with SCDA. Here are some of their events:

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/...1#.VRv9s_nF98E
http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/...4#.VRv_DvnF98E
http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/...7#.VRv_MPnF98E

I am signed up for the May and June GVC events. The Patroons event in June is in conflict with something else for me, so I will be missing that one but I would highly recommend them if the costs and dates are better for you.

Last edited by Eddie07S; 04-01-2015 at 08:08 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-02-2015, 06:54 AM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
I think I will try for May 1st but will have to get on it to be set up. Nice day yesterday and today but no garage time. how do you like the LSD, nice turn in on mine without being too much. I am looking about for a good set up area I would like to be able find my break away point without trees about.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:17 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
You might want to check the qualifications for the Friday (5/1) date as that is for instructors and previously approved advanced solo students. Checkout for advanced solo candidates is on Saturday. They are a touch picky about that.

I am liking the LSD but have not had a chance to push it - snow tires are still on the car.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:13 AM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
Hi I will check out the other days already missing 4/6 SCDA. But I will be getting some good car work time this week so Ill see how it goes. Had my first real spring day finally, actually got on a skateboard very funny almost ran into a bus. Yes my snows are so soft at anything over 45deg that I would like to change them but am a bit unsure of the weather so they are staying on for a bit.
Happy Spring TO ALL