General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will not be driving mini in rain any more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 07:33 AM
TBRoye
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will not be driving mini in rain any more.

Found out last I won't be driving wife's Clubman "Lulu" in the rain at night anymore.
I am 72 and wear glasses. Drove home from a meeting last night in the rain. I was almost blinded by the glare from on coming headlights, and wet streets. My glasses have coating on the to help with glare but the Mini sits so low the on coming headlight are almost at eye level. Went out later to pickup Pizza and use our 04 Expedition "Big Green" had no problem as I was siting up higher. Wife doesn't drive at night as she has no night vision. I have noticed that driving Mini at night in the dry isn't to bad the oncoming headlight still bother but in rain I am almost blind. Driving in day light is fine and car is perfectly safe and handles great in the rain. Beside don't want to Lulu to wet she might shrink or get dirty. Sure glad I am not the Western NY and the snow. Found one thing last no water leaks from sunroof, door or windows Had basically same problem driving my 66 Mustang and 83 Firebird only I was younger. Mustang is in storage for the winter, why risk it getting hit. Firebird was the worst car I ever had, sent it to U Pull it at 85K miles.

Tom

Old 11-20-2014, 10:47 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Before you throw in the towel, try cleaning the inside of the windshield...

Old 11-20-2014, 11:11 AM
chappybmode
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
or getting some of that rain x for the windows

Old 11-20-2014, 12:23 PM
TBRoye
4th Gear
The windshield is fine inside and out. It just old eyes, seating position (low) oncoming headlights are basically at eye level when driving the mini. Just Glare and reflection of the rain. Drove the Expedition sitting higher no problem. Notice where the headlights are on the Expedition and windshield is on the Mini. California loves their SUV'S and Pickups.

Attached Thumbnails Will not be driving mini in rain any more.-img_2100.jpg  
Old 11-20-2014, 12:45 PM
patchelect
3rd Gear
I feel for you. Those who are too young cannot empathize with older folks on certain issues. I'm "only" 65 and have been lucky enough not to have issues in this regard (won't get into pacemaker and hearing aides!!) but I fully understand what you are talking about. And the danged high vehicles do exacerbate the problem for certain.

Be safe and enjoy the Mini when it isn't raining at night!

Old 11-20-2014, 02:01 PM
TBRoye
4th Gear
I have special coating on my glasses that help with the star effect at night but when your at headlight height it doesn't help much. The youngsters will find out, They may more problem than I have when their TATS start sagging as they age

Old 11-20-2014, 05:11 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yellow clip on sunglasses work for me.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:32 PM
son-of-mini
3rd Gear
It makes sense. Our eyes are less effective as we age. Do you an eye dr. at least once a year? You could have cataracts developing.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:52 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hsautocrosser
Yellow clip on sunglasses work for me.
Do you wear those at night? All the time or just in rainy weather?

Old 11-20-2014, 11:24 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
They make things brighter at dusk, and cut glare at night when driving against a lot of oncoming traffic. I don't do that very often anymore having retired to the country. I have no idea what effect they would have during the day.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:00 AM
percymon
2nd Gear
Yellow lenses most certainly help in poor light conditions - thye do raise the apparent light level in your vision - cyclists have been using yellow lenses (inter changeable with clear and tint) in their riding glasses for years. I found yellow lenses good in low light forest trail riding, but once in the open they exaggerate the light level further, to abnormal levels.

RainX can help but it can also cause the starlight effect - I have several (30-45 yr old) friends who tried it and liked it in the daylight but hated the star burst effect of oncoming headlights.

I have GtechniQ G1 on currently and that does seem less prone.

But in response to the relatively low driving height of the Mini, especially in the land of the truck and SUV does present issues.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:37 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
May have to invest in a pair and give them a try.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:32 AM
theUnderDog13
2nd Gear
I don't blame you. I'm in my 20's and hate the trucks that have the headlights at the mini windshield height . They blind me easily especially with their add on fog lights

Old 11-21-2014, 11:14 AM
TBRoye
4th Gear
My Brother in Law is an Optometrist so I have many pair of glasses for different things. My everyday glass are treated to help with night vision and the "starlight effect" and glare but the Mini is so low it does no good in the rain. Regular night driving is OK but prefer the higher seating in the Expedition. Getting old is a B*#*H so you learn compensate and move on. it will keep the mini cleaner by not driving in the rain. Don't have deal with the spray kicked up by bigger vehicles.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:47 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Carpe diem. Go motoring before the sun sets.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:47 PM
TBRoye
4th Gear
It's just rainy nights where the problem is just the added glare and stuff from the rain. Normal night fine, a little "starlight" but not enough to cause problem will talk with BIL in January when I go for my Annual eye exam, I am learning something as I age and have better understanding of what other senior are going through staying mobil. I leave a little more room drive a little slower on the freeway in traffic. Vision isn't as great, reflex are slower just part of aging. Pray to God I know when to quit. Still feel I am safe competent driver, can still hustle my vintage midget around on track days not a 10/10 but 7 or 8/10 the midget is almost as old as I am but doesn't need as much maintenance,

Last edited by TBRoye; 11-21-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:25 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by TBRoye
It's just rainy nights where the problem is just the added glare and stuff from the rain. Normal night fine, a little "starlight" but not enough to cause problem will talk with BIL in January when I go for my Annual eye exam, I am learning something as I age and have better understanding of what other senior are going through staying mobil. I leave a little more room drive a little slower on the freeway in traffic. Vision isn't as great, reflex are slower just part of aging. Pray to God I know when to quit. Still feel I am safe competent driver, can still hustle my vintage midget around on track days not a 10/10 but 7 or 8/10 the midget is almost as old as I am but doesn't need as much maintenance,
Knowing ones limits are important!!
Yes...the height of a MINI makes driving at night glare filled...even for the young.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:35 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I'm younger than TBRoye but suffered the same issues in any car I drove at night. Didn't find that the car seating height had any effect for me. Changed my diet, lost weight and the night driving became a lot easier on me. Having better glasses is certainly a plus, but it is amazing how much good eating does for you. I won't preach the specifics of the diet, that is for other forums.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:23 PM
TBRoye
4th Gear
Mini the Moocher

Last year this time I wighed 198 wife weighed 182. Wednesday I weighed 157 she weighed 152. Didn't help the eye sight to much but sure helped the back and legs we both now walk 2-4 miles a day and other days we are in the Gym for an hour toning up not adding muscle but getting stronger with out bulking up. Much easier getting in the Mini probably wouldn't have bought one at old weight. Like I told the trainer I don't want to be a buff 165 but a toned 155.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:35 PM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TBRoye
My Brother in Law is an Optometrist so I have many pair of glasses for different things. My everyday glass are treated to help with night vision and the "starlight effect" and glare but the Mini is so low it does no good in the rain. Regular night driving is OK but prefer the higher seating in the Expedition. Getting old is a B*#*H so you learn compensate and move on. it will keep the mini cleaner by not driving in the rain. Don't have deal with the spray kicked up by bigger vehicles.
What shape are your wipers in? Older ones tend to smear and leave water tracks.

Anyway, I have not noticed the problem that you mentioned. In thinking about it, I tend not to look at the front of a vehicle that is going past me. That isn't the place you want to focus. I guess I have a habit of momentarily looking straight ahead or slightly to the right when someone passes.

This seems a little like how some have complained about the barn doors of the Clubman and how the vertical shape between the doors is annoying. The thing is that shouldn't be the focus of one's vision. The focus should be well outside of the car and not inside.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:10 PM
TBRoye
4th Gear
Flatlander

The wipers are fine they were new when wife bought the mini in September. It is just 72 year old eyes and glasses and sitting in a go kart. Just the reflection of light through the rain at night. Driving my Toyota Tacoma or Expedition no problem, higher sitting position. Will be seeing my Brother in Law in January for new glasses will see what he has to off other than the coating they put on these glasses.

Tom

Old 11-27-2014, 07:02 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
I had problems seeing at night in the rain even without on coming headlights. It was worse with oncoming lights. My solution was to aim the headlights down a little. This helped a lot.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:39 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Go for the better antireflective coatings, like Crizal Avance or Sapphire or similar
from another brand. That helps a little.
At age 72, there may be some lens clouding (early cataracts) in your eyes and that
certainly brings out flare and glare, especially at night when the pupils dilate.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:10 AM
TBRoye
4th Gear
I have Crizal on them now don't have Cataracts. Don't have the problem in the bigger taller vehicles we have. Just with all the SUV's and Pickups in California especially in Sacramento, the headlight are at my eye level when driving the Mini. Rain at night is the problem during the day it is fine. As my Brother in Law is my Optometrist I will talk to him in January when I go in for my annulaly eye check and new glasses.

Tom

Old 11-27-2014, 09:44 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
I guess there's no easy way around the laws of physics (optics) between
the heights and angles of our cars vs. the tall behomoths that surround us.

I'm tempted to suggest making sure the seat is adjusted as high as it goes,
but I'm sure the difference that would make would be minimal.

I believe you have a 2011 Clubman, so the windshield should still be pretty good
and not pitted like my 2003 Cooper's.

I'm not a fan of Rain-X, especially in the winter, but I have had very good
experience with Aquapel glass treatment and PIAA Silicone wiper blades in
keeping the windshield clearer in the rain.