General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you lowered your mini?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 09:12 PM
yukinoinu
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you lowered your mini?

Hey just wondering if anyone has lowered their mini?? I have a '02 S and thinking about lowing it 2". Pretty sure I need new shocks, when I was driving back I went over this bouncy stretch of the highway (they need to fix it bad) and it kept bouncing for a while. Which by my knowledge of racing.... should not happen. So wondering how a Cooper looks lowered. Post pics if you have :3

Old 11-13-2014, 10:20 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Bag it and you get best of both worlds.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:54 AM
babysarah
3rd Gear
I opted for springs instead of coils or bags, simply due to the fact that I will probably sell the MINI sometime within the next year or so. Lowered only 1.5" H&R Springs with the factory 17" wheels.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:10 AM
Nicefeet
5th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I might be alone, but IMO my R53 is plenty low enough stock. I did upgrade to Koni shocks all around.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:36 PM
TBRoye
4th Gear
My wife's Clubman will not be lowered as she says we already have a Kidney buster in the family, My 66 mustang with Koni adjustable shock and Shelby suspension, not a GT350, Notchback with a black Vinyl top stock wheels widened to 7" and stock hub caps stock engine that was balanced/blueprinted back in 66 have had since we got married nearly 50 years ago. 98,000 mile and still runs great about 300hp. Nice thing is I can work on it without killing my self. If I happen to get my own Mini, I might but probably not, to many speed bump and curbs to bottom out on and it wouldn't be use for competition, drive to old.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:46 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Bet you shocks/struts are DEAD...
I changed my OEM ones out at about 40,000 miles and 4 years...
They still has SOME rebound left...but not like a new strut...
Tossed a set of koni FSD'S in....never looked back...
Ride is great, actually better than the day I took delivery, handling is likewise at least as good....
My tire wear is PERFECT...no edge wear from camber issues, like on many lowered cars...no choppy ride...2 inches in a MINI IS slammed...Some folks have huge tire issues, and CV joint issues...just know what you are getting into.... 1 inch or so is pretty safe...more...get out your $$$.
Lowering is mostly for looks..done RIGHT you can get a slight improvent in actual handling...but get the spring rate wrong...and ride suffers...
Gen1 mini's biggest suspension issue is lack of travel...lowing makes it worse...and a hard riding car is not always the best handling..... Anybody with gocart time can tell you that....you need some compliance to matain grip....and I bet your struts/shocks are pretty dead...

Old 11-15-2014, 05:48 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Have been lowered on coils for a few hundred thousand miles. Lovei
Ir!

Nik

Old 11-16-2014, 03:49 AM
mini yellow-haa!
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Ride is great, actually better than the day I took delivery, handling is likewise at least as good....
My tire wear is PERFECT...no edge wear from camber issues, like on many lowered cars...no choppy ride...2 inches in a MINI IS slammed...Some folks have huge tire issues, and CV joint issues...just know what you are getting into.... 1 inch or so is pretty safe...more...get out your $$$.
Lowering is mostly for looks..done RIGHT you can get a slight improvent in actual handling...but get the spring rate wrong...and ride suffers...
Gen1 mini's biggest suspension issue is lack of travel...lowing makes it worse...and a hard riding car is not always the best handling..... Anybody with gocart time can tell you that....you need some compliance to matain grip....and I bet your struts/shocks are pretty dead...
I'm also debating myself which way to go. Leaning towards the fsd's because I'm after the smooth ride, and then I see some mini's on the road with an obvious drop and they look appealing to me. Right now my mini looks a bit lowered but thats because the shocks are shot. Would like to know/see how the fsd's/oem springs look like. Does the tire gap really that big? I'm ready to pull the trigger for a susp setup, just lost which way to go:(

Old 11-16-2014, 03:53 AM
mini yellow-haa!
2nd Gear
Also I got the mushrooming, so any piece of advice would be much appreciated

Old 11-16-2014, 11:09 AM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If you plan to use FSD shocks do not lower your MINI, it will shorten the life of the FSD's.

I'm using a JCW suspension kit, it lowered my MINI about 1/2". There are times I miss that 1/2" of ground clearance, but I do like the handling improvement it gave me.

Lowering 2" will make living with your MINI in the real world tough. As has been said you are very likely to have drive shaft issues with such a drop.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:50 AM
AndyPWR53
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mini yellow-haa!
Mushrooming would actually make your ride height a little lower in the front. Once you flatten your towers out it will be a bit higher.

Go for a fairly conservative lowering spring and pair it some yellows. You'll be happy with the look and with the yellows on full soft the ride quality is no more harsh than stock.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:10 PM
mini yellow-haa!
2nd Gear
Thanks for the replies! So this is more like golds vs yellows for me. My mini is my DD car, no tracking plans, roads here are fair, it could have a lot of bumps in town. Hmm. If i go yellows i only like minimal drop to 1" or so, that doesn't seem a lot when comparing at the stocks height/gap or does it?

Old 11-16-2014, 01:22 PM
AndyPWR53
4th Gear
This is 0.75" rear and 1" front (h&r sport)

Old 11-16-2014, 03:01 PM
mini yellow-haa!
2nd Gear
Wow! an inch is a big difference. Andy what is your wheel specs on those? I asked because I may go 15's wheel x 7,7.5, or 8? and a wider tires. Okay here's what I want my mini to look like>>Something.. Suspension=Not too harsh,if possible the softest there is, minimal drop.. but on 15's the gap would be much more gap right? compare to 17's. Also would like my tire flushed or a bit poke that can pass safety. With that kind of setup do I need any of the aftermarket parts such rear control arms, adjustable front camber plates. anyway Im going to need that front plates due to mushrooming. Just so much options that I get lost in the way. Anybody please help! I need to decide soon as I'm having rapid rubber loss due to bad alignment. Thank you and Mahalo!

Old 11-16-2014, 04:47 PM
AndyPWR53
4th Gear
Well the bigger you go with your wheels the shorter the sidewall height of your tires so regardless of whether you go 15, 16, or even 17 the gap should remain constant. That is not my car but I have the same springs. Here is how it compares to stock height and the stock 15x5.5 wheels on R50's. My wheels are 16x7 +35 for reference.

You don't really need adjustable control arms or camber plates if you're only going to drop it an inch. If you go the coilover route then its a different story.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:28 PM
yukinoinu
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TBRoye
My wife's Clubman will not be lowered as she says we already have a Kidney buster in the family, My 66 mustang with Koni adjustable shock and Shelby suspension, not a GT350, Notchback with a black Vinyl top stock wheels widened to 7" and stock hub caps stock engine that was balanced/blueprinted back in 66 have had since we got married nearly 50 years ago. 98,000 mile and still runs great about 300hp. Nice thing is I can work on it without killing my self. If I happen to get my own Mini, I might but probably not, to many speed bump and curbs to bottom out on and it wouldn't be use for competition, drive to old.
Please show me that mustang :3

Old 11-17-2014, 02:30 PM
yukinoinu
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
So I have no clue, They ride fine. But that did scare me a bit when it seemed like it was bouncing obnoxiously. If I go over a speed bump too fast it... it sounds... embarrassing... So I go over them really slow.. Also not to wreck my tyres and rims..

Old 11-17-2014, 02:35 PM
yukinoinu
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by babysarah
I opted for springs instead of coils or bags, simply due to the fact that I will probably sell the MINI sometime within the next year or so. Lowered only 1.5" H&R Springs with the factory 17" wheels.

I think I'm going around this height.. I really hate the amount of gap stock. It just looks so... wrong on a Mini. It kind of bothers me a lot. Also Sexy Black/Silver Really wanting to do what you have done but just mine being baby blue.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:27 PM
cravates
1st Gear
Originally Posted by yukinoinu
Hey just wondering if anyone has lowered their mini?? I have a '02 S and thinking about lowing it 2". Pretty sure I need new shocks, when I was driving back I went over this bouncy stretch of the highway (they need to fix it bad) and it kept bouncing for a while. Which by my knowledge of racing.... should not happen. So wondering how a Cooper looks lowered. Post pics if you have :3
yep, my '07 has been lowered , have coil overs and it handles crazy better than stock!

it's for sale... images in the adv.The car has NON runflats, but still, with this setup the ride is as expected, harsh over bumps.
http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...0999928/photo/

Old 11-17-2014, 04:29 PM
cravates
1st Gear
beautiful ryde!! silver, and I mean ALL silver, lowered, with black rims

Old 11-18-2014, 10:59 AM
derilict
Neutral
Newb here searching around for a suspension thread. The shocks I got on my R53 are worn and beat--esp the rears. I can feel the rear end bounce over stuff, which is especially fun going through bumpy corners, this lil fella is a handfull. I'll keep searching, but I'm seeing Konis and KYBs popping up. Any other suggestions?

Intended use: fun daily driver/commuter, so comfort is slightly higher importance than all-out corner carving shenanigans.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:40 AM
MikeM7
1st Gear

It seems to be a common problem. A fix is available

Good luck with your MINI Awesome stuff!

Old 11-19-2014, 12:03 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yukinoinu
Many have, but the desirability of the outcome depends entirely on what you are trying to accomplish:
1). competitive autoX setup - check the classification rules first, so you don't accidentally get bumped into a wrong class with 1 wrong component. You will likely want adjustable coil-overs, camber plates, etc.
2). competitive track/DE/racing setup - (1), but stiffer, and a touch less front camber.
3). cosmetic lowering - just grab shorter springs from one of the online sources, and swap them out (very easy DIY, or pay someone).
4). goofing off with airbags - self explanatory.

I want with KWv3 coil-overs, among other mods, to accomplish #1. At the highest setting, the drop was ~2.5" front and back (see pics in my album).

It works really well - handling vastly improved, times dropped by ~1.2 seconds for 60 second course.
Downside - I am scraping the front air-dam on all driveways and roadway dips, as the bottom of the air-dam lip is at most 1.5" above the pavement.

For the winter, I had just swapped the suspension back to stock ;-)

a

Old 11-19-2014, 12:08 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I fixed it by sandwiching the front strut towers between new (unbent) camber plates and M7 strut tower brace:
http://www.m7tuning.com/m7-strut-tow...-assembly.html

There is at least one other vendor (forgot who) who sells similar full circumference strut tower "defenders".

a

Old 11-19-2014, 03:54 PM
yukinoinu
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by afadeev
Many have, but the desirability of the outcome depends entirely on what you are trying to accomplish:
1). competitive autoX setup - check the classification rules first, so you don't accidentally get bumped into a wrong class with 1 wrong component. You will likely want adjustable coil-overs, camber plates, etc.
2). competitive track/DE/racing setup - (1), but stiffer, and a touch less front camber.
3). cosmetic lowering - just grab shorter springs from one of the online sources, and swap them out (very easy DIY, or pay someone).
4). goofing off with airbags - self explanatory.

I want with KWv3 coil-overs, among other mods, to accomplish #1. At the highest setting, the drop was ~2.5" front and back (see pics in my album).

It works really well - handling vastly improved, times dropped by ~1.2 seconds for 60 second course.
Downside - I am scraping the front air-dam on all driveways and roadway dips, as the bottom of the air-dam lip is at most 1.5" above the pavement.

For the winter, I had just swapped the suspension back to stock ;-)

a
http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...coilovers.html

As of right now I like these coilovers, The range is 40mm-70mm front and 30mm-65mm rear.

Quick Reply: Have you lowered your mini?