General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini Performance Motoring School at IMS

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 08:22 PM
bryce77
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mini Performance Motoring School at IMS

Did the Miles ahead Mini performance Motoring school last Friday. What a Blast!! It consist of doing the road course and some autocross at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. They provide the car.
Was my first time ever doing any track driving. The current car they use is the 2014 F56 Mini Cooper s. Same car I drive! They will be moving to the JCW F56 once its out.

The Instructors are:
Stephan Gregoire
Gabby Chaves
Pippa Mann
Stephen Simpson

Day consisted of several sessions

First part of day was:
50 Minute classroom
35 minutes of learning the racing line.
35 minutes of shifting practice.
35 minutes of practicing over and under steer recovery
60 minute lunch

Second part was:
35 minutes of running the track
35 Minutes of auto cross
35 minutes of track again
35 minutes of auto cross.
then an instructor driver hot lap

This school is currently the only way to drive the IMS at speed other than racing of course. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to drive the track and learn from professional Indy car drivers.

I have a feeling I'll be doing it again come next year.
https://www.bemilesahead.net/

Pictures. They also provide gopros, but mine refused to read the sd card.

The car:

My car on the bricks.

Last edited by bryce77; 06-30-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:32 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
They didn't make you wear helmets on track?

Interesting.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:38 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, I was wondering about that too.

Still, looks like a hoot!!

Old 11-19-2014, 08:46 AM
WingZombie
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zillon
They didn't make you wear helmets on track?

Interesting.
I was in the same class as Bryce and I too was a little surprised that they didn't have us wear helmets. I think it might be related to the airbags in the cars. I know there is some controversy about helmets in cars with airbags and that they could do more harm than good. Just a complete guess on my part.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:43 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Yesterday I did the Miles Ahead driving school. It was a fantastic experience. The instructors are all professional drivers, and they're also communicative, helpful, and courteous. Having been doing HPDE's and open track days for over a decade now, it can be extremely variable in terms of organization and staff, however this school was top shelf and well worth the price.

Everything the staff did was well paced and well organised. It's clear they've done it before, yet the interaction was personable and felt custom. As you're assigned your car number, they allude that each car number is important, but leave it dangling that they'll explain it later [and they did]. Your assigned car has your name on the roof above the drivers door, which is a great touch. At the end of the day there's a swag bag with some very cool stuff in it, including a trophy helmet with your name on it, certificate of completion with all 4 instructors autographs, and t-shirt in your size.

The cars are very cool; the brand new F56 MINI JCW hardtop. Yes they're in the paddle-shift automatic, but even being a die-hard 3-pedal driver, this auto is actually really good. It also fits the focus of the school; learning posture, focus, and driving lines. The JCW handles very well, brakes great, the power is excellent, and the exhaust note is lovely and engaging and visceral without being over-the-top. It's fantastic.

Miles Ahead driving school at Indianapolis Motor Speedway by Ryephile, on Flickr

Miles Ahead driving school at Indianapolis Motor Speedway by Ryephile, on Flickr

Between training sessions, swapping instructors.

Back in the paddock during a break:

...and in the pit lane, stopping right on the remaining yard of bricks at the start/finish line.

So, if you have the means, I definitely recommend signing up!

Old 06-22-2015, 12:14 PM
Jaque_Mate
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Done it twice now. Once with the Auto-cross/F56 Cooper S/full day and once with the full track/F56 JCW/half day. Both times were amazing! I would recommend anyone that's even remotely considering doing it, to do it. Its an intense class and builds up quickly to speed. Both times I went, there was some freaking out by another student. Point taken, if you enjoy taking your MINI or Mini on a spirited drive, this is definetly a MUST DO!

Old 06-22-2015, 10:49 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
What did you think of the F56 on the track? I had an F56S overnight as a loaner while my car was in for the oil pump solenoid under warranty, the ride was nice but as soon as I pushed it even a little the front tires started squealing and the understeer was terrible.

I know I'm a bit spoiled with my setup but still I expected better. Just wondering what you guys thought.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:53 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
What did you think of the F56 on the track? I had an F56S overnight as a loaner while my car was in for the oil pump solenoid under warranty, the ride was nice but as soon as I pushed it even a little the front tires started squealing and the understeer was terrible.

I know I'm a bit spoiled with my setup but still I expected better. Just wondering what you guys thought.
Here's the cross post link that answers your question

The specific tires and surface make a huge difference. An F56 on all-seasons is a sad MINI. An F56 on sticky summer tires is a happy MINI.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:56 AM
Jaque_Mate
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The F56 has some serious handling capabilities. The JCW takes it to a whole new level. The brakes on the J-Dub are insane!! Acceleration in the S is quicker than any previous stock S. The JCW is as quick if not quicker than the R56 GP. Having driven both, yes, I feel I can say that.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:22 AM
knecht
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great write up. I was just talking with my wife the other day about doing this. It looks like great fun!

Old 06-23-2015, 09:23 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum

In his post on the F56 JCW forum he mentions noticing some understeer, which can be cured easily for about $300 with a rear AWB. I notice you have a 22mm one yourself. I have the sport suspension on mine, and that combined with the stiffer (convertible) Coupe chassis means minimal understeer and body roll for me. I really wish I could do something like that myself!

Old 06-23-2015, 10:38 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
... can be cured easily for about $300 with a rear AWB.
Hahahaha!! Sorry to pick on a typo, but now in my head I'm hearing Elmer Fudd say "Anti-Woll Bar"!

Old 06-23-2015, 10:39 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Nice ,

Nice review.

Looks like the fleet was updated again, they used to have R56 models before the F56 came out and those went to dealerships as CPO or imulations of the R56 JCW .

At the beginning , great shot here:

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-25-2015, 04:26 PM
TrueEddie
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Slightly off topic, but can you tell me where they mounted the in car cameras and what they used to mount it? I'm having a hell of a time trying to get go pro footage in my MINI that isn't vibrating like crazy.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:13 PM
WingZombie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TrueEddie
Slightly off topic, but can you tell me where they mounted the in car cameras and what they used to mount it? I'm having a hell of a time trying to get go pro footage in my MINI that isn't vibrating like crazy.
I've had good success with the Gopro suction cup mount. When I was there I mounted it to the sun roof and to the passengers window.

The track video starts 45 seconds in on this one.
https://youtu.be/e_ejCYPww-g

https://youtu.be/x3YDiUznoZI

Old 06-25-2015, 10:34 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
yep, suction cup mount to the inside of the windshield with the camera upside down and then flip the video. Also a $5 DIY mount - square aluminum tubing with a couple of J hooks fastened to the headrest on the passenger seat - worked well.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:05 PM
TrueEddie
5th Gear
First I want to say awesome videos! I went ahead and got the go pro suction cup mount and its definitely way better. Virtually eliminated the vibration I was seeing. Thanks for the letting me know about it!

I'm going to PBIR this week for Track Night In America. This will be my first time on a track so I wanted to be able to get some good in-car views. I really hope I can do Miles Ahead in the future.

Thanks again!

Old 07-05-2015, 03:25 PM
WingZombie
2nd Gear
I may have posted this already, but here is my review from when I went last year.

http://wingzombie.com/archives/1154

Old 07-06-2015, 06:38 AM
TrueEddie
5th Gear
Originally Posted by WingZombie
I may have posted this already, but here is my review from when I went last year.

http://wingzombie.com/archives/1154
Really nice write-up! Makes me want to do it even more!