General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Massive wheel spin

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 10:39 PM
yukinoinu
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Massive wheel spin

Hey everyone, So I have a '02 Cooper S with a 15% pully reduction, no run flats. I live in Seattle and so roads are wet a fair amount in the rainy season a.k.a. now... When taking off in first gear on flat land get massive amounts of wheel spin, don't even touch traction control...yet.... Just wondering if anyone gets this too? The tires are fairly new with still tons of tread on them. Never had a car with this much torque at low RPMs . Kind of wondering if there is a way to get around that since I know one day I will get stuck on a steep slope in the rain.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:34 PM
a2oc
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you use the wrong type of rubber? summer or all season kind of thing in places less than 7 celcius?

Old 10-20-2014, 11:38 PM
yukinoinu
3rd Gear
it's half and half kind of like a semi slick... so maybe summer tires... (I didn't buy them I got the car with them)

Old 10-21-2014, 02:10 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
yeah, we need to know what kind of tires are on the car, and in the grand scheme of things the MINI doesn't really have a lot of torque compared to some other "Tuner Type" cars. Maybe equal too but differently not at the top of the list..

Old 10-21-2014, 03:02 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I have the same issue, I'm running fallen ziex all season tires, brand new. Even in the dry they break into a full on burnout at the top of first gear and will continue through second and third if I don't let off during gear changes. I don't why they spin so much, I'm guessing the 40 profile has something to do with it.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:24 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No, it's the crappy tires.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:54 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
+1 for tires.

A lot of people want tires that will last a long time, and in doing so, end up with a very hard tire compound (great for mileage poor for performance). Some people opt to compromise long tire life for more grip. (The difference between All Season to Summer Performance and a compromise between the two is a All Season Performance).

Motor on!

Old 10-21-2014, 05:11 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Buy better and the right tires ...
Cheap discount made in China rubber is pretty bad.....especially if there is a tiny amount of sand or moisture on the road...
The 200 foot burnout is fun sometimes....but veryvhard on the drive train...and tires will not last very long....
Course you could learn how to use your right foot for traction control....hate to see you in the snow if you spin in the rain.... Just cause you can does not mean you should....

Old 10-21-2014, 09:51 AM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Crappy rubber & heavy left foot = wheel spin. To remedy this change one of those 2 components.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:14 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
summer tires in the super cold will do this, also crappy tires will as well, one big difference is that we do have instant boost, unlike a turbo need a load to create high boost.

some surfaces are slipperier than others as well. not to mention you dont have a LSD to help put the power down, one wheel peel!

ive used 3 sets of tires in two years, not including my winters

i originally had khumo all seasons run flats, these were interesting, a mishmosh blend of no traction and traction, had no problem moving through snow and rain as i was moving, couldnt get started tho. and in the dry i could feel slippage while enthusiastically going thru gears. then i moved to BFG KDW's, these took all the slippage out in the dry and ran really well in the wet, i pushed these tires real hard and found their limitations in the dry/wet. moved to sumitomo HTR z3 and wondered why ever had the KDW's. when its warm i feel as if i nearly have more tire than car and in the warm wet they are fantastic.

lesson learned, 2 sets of dedicated tires is way better than 1 pair of crap-seasons

although if i had 3 sets, it would be a winter set, a summer super sticky set, and a long range set for when i do road trips

not sure why they are called all seasons when they really work in nothing but warm temperature dry, and even then they still dont work to the lowest grade summer tire

Old 10-21-2014, 01:23 PM
yukinoinu
3rd Gear
I have Continental extreme contact tyres they say DWS dry wet snow. (http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...DWS-235-45ZR17 this is their tread)

Old 10-21-2014, 05:38 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
What do you mean by "don't even touch traction control". Do you mean that the traction control doesn't come on when the wheels are spinning?

Is there a possibility that the tires aren't spinning, but the clutch is slipping. I am just asking to be thorough not to be insulting.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:05 PM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
Crappy rubber & heavy left foot = wheel spin. To remedy this change one of those 2 components.
You must have 2 left feet. : )

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 10-21-2014, 06:15 PM
SquamishDroc
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by yukinoinu
I have Continental extreme contact tyres they say DWS dry wet snow. (http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...DWS-235-45ZR17 this is their tread)
The DWS are an excellent tire - one of the higher rated all season tires for rain and snow. How much tread depth do you have on them?

Old 10-21-2014, 06:48 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SquamishDroc
The DWS are an excellent tire - one of the higher rated all season tires for rain and snow. How much tread depth do you have on them?
Also you might want to post the production date stamped on the tires sidewalks...
Old tires tend to harden...and become dangerous after about 6 years from production...

Old 10-21-2014, 11:39 PM
yukinoinu
3rd Gear
rwkeating- not being rude here, but I do know it is the tyres.
SquamishDroc- More than Abe Lincoln has on his head (about 12mm in depth? not entirely sure but there is still a lot of life on them)
ZippyNH- As far as I know right now they are a under a year old. It's dark right now and raining so not checking currently.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:00 AM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yukinoinu
You are riding on a mediocre all-season tire over wet pavement - wheel spin is to be expected.

Conti DWS are at the bottom third of the list (#22):
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=GTAS

a

Old 10-22-2014, 09:13 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The list you gave a link to doesn't even have the DWS listed in it......

Old 10-22-2014, 09:38 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I have the Conti Extreme DWS and they are an excellent all season. I don't have any abnormal issues with traction.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:47 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I'm running Goodyear Eagle GT's on mine and don't have anything even resembling excessive wheelsman. I'm sure the my factory LSD helps a lot, but it sounds like you are running a very hard compound tire to me.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:51 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
^ I'd say the LSD is the key there. I had Brand new Eagle GT's that the previous owner installed on my '07 and the grip was less than great. Good for a basic sport tire, but not for my driving. Cold wet weather it didn't perform. Otherwise a decent tire.

The DWS tires are great, I'm puzzled why you would be having an issue with the tires. So my only guess is that heavy right foot. You don't happen to have a Sprint Booster do you?

Old 10-22-2014, 10:31 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
DWS with fairly new tires, intsalled atleast, with tread.

i thinking sprint booster, or just a very greasy road

Old 10-22-2014, 11:36 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
The ExtremeContact DWS (DWS for Dry, Wet & Snow) is Continental's Ultra High Performance All-Season radial developed for drivers of sports cars, sports coupes, performance sedans and sport trucks. The ExtremeContact DWS is designed to satisfy their year-round driving needs by blending dry and wet road performance with light snow and slush traction.

ExtremeContact DWS features an advanced silica-based, high-grip, all-season tread compound molded into a unique asymmetrical tread design with stable shoulder blocks and a continuous, notched intermediate rib on the outboard side to enhance responsiveness and cornering stability. The center of the tread features independent blocks separated by high-angle, crisscross grooves to provide the biting edges necessary to deliver wet road and light snow traction while independent inboard shoulder blocks help disperse water to further enhance hydroplaning resistance and foul weather traction.

The ExtremeContact DWS features Tuned Performance Indicators — visible letters molded into the second rib from the outboard shoulder to alert drivers of the tire's performance levels. A visible "DWS" indicates the tire has sufficient tread depth for dry conditions, as well as wet roads and light snow. After the "S" has worn away, the remaining "DW" indicates the tire only has sufficient tread depth for dry and most wet road conditions. And after the "W" and "S" have both worn away, the remaining "D" indicates the tire has appropriate tread depth for dry conditions only.

The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts reinforced with spirally wound jointless nylon cap plies to provide long-term integrity under high-speed conditions while reducing weight and helping to provide more uniform ride quality.
When new they have 11/32 of tread...

I'm guessing that this is you first higher powered car....
if the PSI is good, and the tires are reasonable recent, they should do fine if you do not have too much of a lead foot....

A very smart driver once said "it is more fun to drive an under-powered car hard than an high powered car gently."......
When the road surface is not ideal....aka contaminated, you cannot push as hard...

Old 10-22-2014, 01:49 PM
yukinoinu
3rd Gear
ZippyNH- This is actually the lowest HP car I have driven/Owned, I am more concerned about on the hills of Seattle.. I don't care about in a straight line it's not having grip up these mountain hills.
The tyres are from 2011, I was told to try a rotate of the tyres, if that doesn't help, burn them out by hard driving and replace them...

Old 10-22-2014, 01:52 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
2011? Those tires sat for a while, if you bought them, thats kind of a bum deal.

Quick Reply: Massive wheel spin