General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help..........

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 08:48 AM
Randy f
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help..........

I have a 09 clubman S with 70k. Right after I got it, it would idle rough sometimes. I changed the plugs and it did not help. I took it back to carmax after it finally threw a misfire code, and they did a decarbonizing. It threw the code again so they sent it to mini who did a $900 decarbonizing. It runs much better, but still has a couple issues. It sometimes has a very slight rough idle when first started in the morning. On starts uphill it sometimes bogs like it wants to stall. Occasionally on a start on level ground it is very slow to make power, kinda like its in the wrong gear (it's a 6 speed). Now you could say it's me not knowing how to drive except on thing........it's almost completely cured in sport mode. I was thinking the slow to power is the turbo lag spooling since it's not very often. Everything else I am leaning towards a fuel delivery problem, like needing a new fuel pump. Now for this theory to work, sport mode would have to change something in fuel delivery. Does anyone know what all is changed in sport mode, or have had this issue and fixed it? Thanks, Randy

Old 10-19-2014, 12:55 PM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have a Clubman with an N14 engine....and you purchased the car at Carmax. I recommend that you send a priviate message to Systemlord. He is very helpful.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:20 PM
Randy f
1st Gear
Sent him a pm, thanks

Old 10-19-2014, 02:56 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On a manual, the only things that change are the mapping for the throttle input and the steering. Which is why you find so many people that like to drive in sport mode all the time - they have a tendency to bog down from the pedal not being to their liking.

You say the switch to sport mode "almost completely" cures the problems. What issues are not cured by the switch to sport mode?

Old 10-19-2014, 06:42 PM
Randy f
1st Gear
It still sometimes feels a little sluggish as it needs fuel down low. The other thing I was thinking is maybe the egr valve could be gummed up?

Old 10-19-2014, 09:21 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy f
I have a 09 clubman S with 70k. Right after I got it, it would idle rough sometimes. I changed the plugs and it did not help. I took it back to carmax after it finally threw a misfire code, and they did a decarbonizing. It threw the code again so they sent it to mini who did a $900 decarbonizing. It runs much better, but still has a couple issues. It sometimes has a very slight rough idle when first started in the morning. On starts uphill it sometimes bogs like it wants to stall. Occasionally on a start on level ground it is very slow to make power, kinda like its in the wrong gear (it's a 6 speed). Now you could say it's me not knowing how to drive except on thing........it's almost completely cured in sport mode. I was thinking the slow to power is the turbo lag spooling since it's not very often. Everything else I am leaning towards a fuel delivery problem, like needing a new fuel pump. Now for this theory to work, sport mode would have to change something in fuel delivery. Does anyone know what all is changed in sport mode, or have had this issue and fixed it? Thanks, Randy
I sure hope you weren't charged the $900 dollars it cost to walnut blast the intake valves, I didn't even know about these issues when I purchased my MCS and had I within the 30 days known about it, CarMax would have paid the $800 to walnut blast my intake valves. When I first looked at my MCS I saw a lot of issues in the cabin and asked the salesman why I am test driving a car with so many issues and a few minutes later the shifting **** popped off while I was shifting and almost caused an accident!

I told the salesman this stuff needs to be fixed before I even considered buying it, he told me that for the first 5 days I could return the car no questions asked, full refund. He also stated that when I purchased the car I had 30 days to bring it in for defects or issues I was having, CarMax should have fixed EVERYTHING before placing a price tag on the car! If I did have that accident with the shift **** while test driving the car I would have filed a lawsuit against CarMax.

Whatever happened to CarMax's Quality Certified cars? They blamed everything on the CarMax in Concord, CA saying that they didn't perform any inspection at all ever. You don't buy the car, put it on the lot with a price tag and expect the buyer to make sure everything's alright. I don't know about you but I prefer to have the peace of mind knowing that CarMax has certified that my car is safe to drive and any and all defects fixed before it's consider even getting into the car.

Your issue with cold starting is a classic sign of the infamous (HPFP) High Pressure Fuel Pump dying, there's a thread dedicated for this defective pump Here. Your MCS (Clubman) is starving for fuel at intermittently and at startup, I haven't had my HPFP replaced yet but know that the time will come. Here is the timing chain thread and the Engine Carbon Buildup thread Here and if that wasn't enough don't forget about the Thermostat Housing thread Here

You might want to check out to see if your Mini has had it's timing chain assembly replaced or inspected. I started to hear a rattling sound ("The Death Rattle") that got my attention in cold mornings, this is the sound of the timing chain colliding with the plastic guides that keep your chain from coming off the camshaft sprocket and possible killing your engine for good.

Sorry for your troubles,
Systemlord.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:09 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Based on the description, hard to say whether it is just a matter of getting used to the throttle versus an actual problem. If there is a problem though, I'd probably lean toward an issue with the HPFP.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:39 AM
MikeN
2nd Gear
How about a fuel filter? Have you replaced it?

Old 10-20-2014, 11:55 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeN
How about a fuel filter? Have you replaced it?
It's a possibility, those filters are as large as a brick and the service interval for 100K from what I have read here on NAM.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:03 PM
MikeN
2nd Gear
Yea I just replaced mine and it look like it had tar on it. Completely covered. Car is much more responsive now...

Old 10-20-2014, 01:17 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeN
Yea I just replaced mine and it look like it had tar on it. Completely covered. Car is much more responsive now...
How many miles did you have on yours Mike?

Old 10-20-2014, 01:25 PM
MikeN
2nd Gear
It has 165K miles and I just rebuilt the engine.

Also, another reason I changed it was because it was taking extra long to crank the car up. That is another sign of either the pump or filter going.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:35 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ahhh, yeah thats quite a few miles. I'm just under 70k and mine still looks ok for the most part.