General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defective Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 09:32 PM
SemperMini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Defective Key Fob

Had this problem for a long time, and finally realized I should ask around (doh!) nd see if anyone had any ideas short of shelling out the $250 for new keys.

I have a 2007 with the comfort access system. It used to work fine, until it suddenly stopped working altogether.

Thought the battery died, but replacing the battery did not help.

So here are the details after overcoming that first, most obvious, troubleshoot:

Car still recognizes the key and starts/runs fine with the key plugged into the dash.

Key is able to "light up" one of those RF testers they often have in auto-part stores to check your fob's battery.

MINI dealer checked the key out and said all the data was properly loaded and readable on the key (makes sense as the key still works to start the car).

Other than that, the key is worthless. I have to lock and unlock with the physical key inside the key fob.

Any chance it is something other than they key's problem?

Also, frustratingly, I only have one key. I have moved about 4 times since getting the car, and cannot find the spare key anymore. Which sucks.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:40 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SemperMini
Car still recognizes the key and starts/runs fine with the key plugged into the dash. Key is able to "light up" one of those RF testers they often have in auto-part stores to check your fob's battery. MINI dealer checked the key out and said all the data was properly loaded and readable on the key (makes sense as the key still works to start the car). Other than that, the key is worthless. I have to lock and unlock with the physical key inside the key fob. Any chance it is something other than they key's problem?
Does the car lock/unlock if you sit in and use the middle toggle switch on the lower switch panel? Will the car start if you don't put the key into the dash?

Old 10-17-2014, 06:09 AM
patchelect
3rd Gear
Is there a reprogramming/rebooting procedure? Can't help much since my car has a "real" key~

Old 10-17-2014, 11:00 AM
SemperMini
3rd Gear
The unlock toggle switch in the car works fine, so mechanically the locking mechanisms all check out, but no, the key needs to be plugged into the dash for it to let me start the car. Even with the key "seated" but not "pushed in" the car will still not start and will display the missing key symbol.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:03 AM
SemperMini
3rd Gear
and no idea about the rebooting procedure, but the car does "know" my key, so I don't think that is the problem. It seems like it can only be 1) the key or 2) the receiver in the car, wherever that is located.

If someone knows anything else, or has any reason to think it is one of those two options vs. the alternative, I am ready to listen.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:16 PM
SemperMini
3rd Gear
It seems that everyone else agrees with my fear that I will just have to shell out that 250 for new keys if I ever want to unlock my car electronically again...

Old 10-18-2014, 08:30 PM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you tried to google it?

I googled. " program 2007 Mini Cooper key ". Came up with a procedure. In e-how.

Give it a shot

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 10-18-2014, 09:15 PM
SemperMini
3rd Gear
the instructions I found all require a second key, and like I said, I lost one in a move... otherwise that might have worked.

Thanks for the thought though!

Old 10-18-2014, 10:05 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by SemperMini
It seems that everyone else agrees with my fear that I will just have to shell out that 250 for new keys if I ever want to unlock my car electronically again...
If it is the receiver, than you've spent $250 for nothing.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:41 PM
SemperMini
3rd Gear
indeed. Anyone have any ideas on how you might be able to troubleshoot the receiver?

Old 10-23-2014, 04:52 AM
hang glider
Neutral
Watching this thread - same thing with my fob - except the buttons on the fob work fine, but "proximity" isn't working all of the sudden - and I do have my second key - same issues.
Are there two channels on the receiver, or are there two receivers? one for the fob's push-button signal (radio) and one for the proximity (RFID) ?

Old 11-01-2014, 09:34 PM
LILYisatig3r
3rd Gear
I believe the receiver is housed in the rear view mirror?? I've read that somewhere around NAM. maybe check with the dealership on that?

Old 11-01-2014, 09:39 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Check realoem.com for your car. . . s/be under

Control unit/antennas passive access

Old 11-02-2014, 03:52 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
If you order a rearview mirror from anyplace else other than the dealer, do yourself a favor and grab the last 7 of your vin and call your MINI parts dept. Have them use the filters for their film to look up the mirror for you based upon what options may be on your car; Auto dip / home link / comfort access / manual.....these mirrors are all manufactured depending on what your MINI came with. Unfortunately these mirrors are probably a bit more than a key.

If you know of anyone in your MINI club with same options you have, can always try swapping mirrors to troubleshoot.