General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the real scoop on "these" inexpensive parts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 05:15 PM
kaineb
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the real scoop on "these" inexpensive parts?

I have read a bunch of threads on knock-off intercoolers and cheaper downpipes. Some say they work great and others are all doom and gloom.

I cant justify myself $550-$700 for an intercooler and almost $900 for a downpipe. Seems to me there are much cheaper alternatives that people seems to have great luck with.

Any time i speak to a vendor its always an up-sell to the more expensive ones of course. Maybe they are better, but they are also making allot more money on them so i don't trust vendors opinions. Show me how your $600 intercooler is $400 better than the Chinese version.

Any good feedback on this and suggestions on both?

Old 08-30-2014, 06:07 PM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I totally hear what you're saying … I was totally inclined about getting the less expensive IC until I came across with a thread stating the quality of the welds were below par. Overall, I still got very mixed reviews until I stumbled into an ALTA IC on CL for $300! Be very patient unless you need the IC very soon. I would suggest a brand name IC for quality and overall integrity. Good luck to you!