General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2 Cents - for what its worth

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 12:22 PM
yardstick57
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2 Cents - for what its worth

I've read a lot (most post that still show) prior to purchasing a MINI. Frankly, they worried me. A little about myself - 58 years old and have owned a car since I was 17. Everything from a Vega to Camaro SS and Mustang GT. Several small cars over the years, most american made with the exception of a Toyota and a Mitsubishi. The *** cars were well made and very reliable, none had the power of the current MINI (F56).

Recently, my wife and I traded our 2013 Mustang GT premiums for 2 MINI Cooper S Hartops (2014). Although, with 420 HP the Mustangs out powered the MINI, the power was almost unusable. I could take the GT on the highway and be doing about 60 mph and roll into the throttle. When I hit 3500 rpm and anything more than half throttle, my tires would start to spin and get loose.

Now to the MINI: Plenty of usable power demonstrated by it's ability to accelerate onto the highway without drama and usually the car is hitting 70-80 mph at the top of the ramp.....making it easy to merge - even when our curteous drivers allow it (sarcasm).

The MINI is very well made for 2014, nice materials, great fit and finish, mechanically strong and smooth. No rattles or other problems exist in the car other than the weeping front windshield washers. This goes away once the fluid tank drops below a certain level.

Now, I only have 1600 miles on my MINI; but, I love the handling, ride, power, technology, quality of the materials and workmanship.

If anyone reading this is contemplating purchasing a 3rd gen MINI, I believe you can't go wrong.

And as I said, we bought two of them within a month of each other and both of us are very satisfied with the car and would highly recommend them.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:33 PM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Plus one more penney. I'm 80 and have been buying and driving cars since I was 17. Some of the finer cars I've owned are Mustang GT, Corvette, 911 Carrera and most recently a '13 Scion FR-S. In January I bought a base '13 Hardtop (the 14's weren't here yet) and it has been the jewel I've been looking for for a long time. As a former Porsche Cayman owner put it: It's 8/10ths the fun for 1/3 the price.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:17 PM
gurneyeagle
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, if this is grey beard check-in time, I'm 56 and just purchased my MINI Countryman S about six weeks ago. It's my daily driver as I have a Nissan 370Z that is just too hard to commute in every day.

How do I like the MINI? LOVE it! Absolutely love it!

I've been mainly a Japanese car guy, having driven a string of mostly Hondas and Acuras, with a few Toyotas and Nissans, and the odd 1980 VW Scirocco when I got out of college.

I'm extremely impressed with the fit and finish of the MINI, especially the interior materials. Fingers crossed on the reliability factor, but all I have is a seven mile commute to the office and I really don't push it that hard.

I'll keep it until it's almost out of warranty and trade it, and the Z, in on a new MCS hardtop. I'm kind of counting down the days already.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:33 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Snow on the roof here, am 63. I can't believe you traded in the Mustang. I drive an '08 Mustang, the wife drives a '12 MCS. I get the best of both worlds, good old American muscle, then drive the MCS once in a while when I want to blast thru the curves..