General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gunner's MINI

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 08:33 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
pics?

Old 09-09-2014, 02:09 PM
MINI Gunner
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Work in progress. The car is in the shop right now. I gave up trying to find the leak and it was stalling out.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:54 PM
MINI Gunner
2nd Gear
Stupid car

So after seeing 3 mechanics the 3rd one finally diagnosed it as a bad head gasket. The car is in the shop right now. Luckily I took it back to the place I bought it from and they are having a mechanic do the work at wholesale price and are splitting the cost with me. It's only going to cost me around $1200, how awesome is that. As much as I am pissed at them for selling me the car with a bad gasket it is cool they are helping out so much. They could have easily told me to go suck it.

So, hopefully going forward the car will give me some reliability. For now all the other stuff will have to wait. I could have done a lot of my wanted mods for $1200.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:59 AM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Sounds like it's a decent dealer at least. Sucks the money had to go elsewhere but if that's the only issue it ends up with it should be a lot more time then to do said mods.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:16 AM
DiHydro
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Aelwulf
I've read some of the detailing posts and see it mentioned a lot, is it a brand or a bar of modeling clay or what? I'm guessing just use it to buff the car?

For the filter if it's foam then probably oiled. If the new Alta is foam as it looks then I'd be surprised if they just recommend washing it, all other foam ones I've seen are oiled.
http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti...ggressive.html

If you get a clay towel like this, you can rinse and reuse it. What a clay bar, or towel, does it pull the dirt and grime out of the microscopic scratches in the clear coat. Then when you wax the car, the wax fills in and smooths those imperfections and makes it shiny and smooth.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:54 AM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DiHydro
http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti...ggressive.html

If you get a clay towel like this, you can rinse and reuse it. What a clay bar, or towel, does it pull the dirt and grime out of the microscopic scratches in the clear coat. Then when you wax the car, the wax fills in and smooths those imperfections and makes it shiny and smooth.
Thanks for the extra info.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:58 PM
MINI Gunner
2nd Gear
After way to long I finally got my Mini back. I haven't driven it enough to tell if there is a difference but hopefully the only thing different is it doesn't leak coolant into the oil. I have to say the dealer was super awesome to help with the repairs, however, I probably won't go back to them to buy a car again unless it has a warranty.

So now back to the minor issues. When I accelerate there is a buzzing noise, like there is a huge wasp in the back of the car, the more I throttle the louder it gets. Some times it is not there but has gotten more prevalent over time. Does this sound like something bad or more likely just something lose in the car? (fyi, the car was doing this before the head gasket was replaced.)

Last edited by MINI Gunner; 10-13-2014 at 08:17 PM.