General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leatherette v leather

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 07:41 AM
Speedster
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leatherette v leather

I'm doing my research before purchasing my first Mini and this forum is giving me a wealth of information. I'm looking to purchase a used R56 and most have leatherette. I have no experience with leatherette, only leather. Should I hold out for leather or is that just not that important?

Old 07-23-2014, 07:48 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I owned a leather car once, never again. After a few years the leather was like saggy and out of shape, just from being a natural product. It stays colder and hotter longer and does not breathe. My wifes car is over 3 years old and the leatherette still looks like new.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:28 AM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I suggest not getting overly focused on what the seat material is. The most important consideration is to sit in the seat and see if it is comfortable to YOU.

I ordered my R56 with the cloth sport seats. They breathe well in both hot and cold weather (although I also have the heated seat option). The bolsters are just a bit too snug for me - but I have a cushion I use that makes it much better for me for long trips.

When the time comes to replace my current MINI I lean towards something cloth for the central seat surface. However, I’m going to sit in as many different types of seats as possible to find what seems to fit me the best.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:52 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Another + for cloth.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:20 AM
Speedster
1st Gear
Really interesting! Thanks. I've had leather for years in a number of cars mostly because I prefer wiping down my seats to vacuuming them. Kind of like preferring wood floors to carpet. I wondered how leatherette did as far as holding up to wear and staining, not that I stain my car much! I also have to deal with heat so I just assumed synthetic breathed less than natural, but it sounds like I might be wrong on that. I will definitely check out how comfortable the seats are since I hope to make this car my DD.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:06 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Something interesting to note - the seats are slightly different between Lounge leather and leatherette R56's. The Lounge leather seats are slightly less body-hugging than the leatherette ones, but not by much. If I could I would probably get leatherette next time for longevity, ease of cleaning and that slight extra bolstering.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:09 PM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
I prefer cloth and I have to put up with leather in my MC40.

I tend to sweat with the leatherette...

Old 07-23-2014, 04:11 PM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedster
I also have to deal with heat so I just assumed synthetic breathed less than natural, but it sounds like I might be wrong on that.
No, you're right on that. Leather breathes, vinyl ("leatherette" / naugahyde / whatever pretty name they want to call it) does not.

If you live in a hot climate, cloth is definitely the way to go if you can find it. Leather second, leatherette a distant third. Here in Houston if I were to buy a car with leatherette I'd be mentally factoring in the cost of replacement upholstery.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:00 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My experience with Leatherette was not a good one. While it looks great for a long time, it does not breath. Leatherette retains heat, while great in the winter, not so great in the summer. I was glad to get back into a vehicle with leather.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:19 PM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Leather will breathe while vinyl will not. However, in the two previous cars I had leather in the first one and fabric in the second one. My present MINI base hardtop has vinyl. It was 106 degrees today in Tucson and since all three cars had a/c none of them caused me any discomfort. I do prefer the smell of leather and the way it wears.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:30 PM
dongood
4th Gear
My R53 Checkmate has leather with cloth centers. I tend to sweat and the cloth gets dirty fast, and now has stains I have not been able to remove.

My R59 Roadster has the leatherette.

The wife has full leather seats in her Audi.

Cloth is the hardest to keep clean but is the coolest. Leather and leatherette are equally sticky, but the leather requires more care for it to last.

I prefer the leatherette. Brain dead easy to care for, looks as good 5 years from now as it does today.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:19 AM
deovolens
3rd Gear
The most used leathers in cars are very cheap and of low quality.You can not expect to get a decent leather for 1.000 $. Top quality costs a lot more.The best ones have perforated leather. I bought the lounge but it's much to early to say anything.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:32 AM
dongood
4th Gear
Originally Posted by deovolens
The most used leathers in cars are very cheap and of low quality.You can not expect to get a decent leather for 1.000 $. Top quality costs a lot more.The best ones have perforated leather. I bought the lounge but it's much to early to say anything.
I used to sell designer leather clothing in a former life (the stuff you see on catwalks) and I can attest to the over all lack of "quality" found in my wife's Audi or my R53. However there are different types of leather for different purposes. Motorcycle jackets are made out of thick calveskin instead of soft lambskin for the obvious durability reasons.

Side note, I'm dissapointed in the low quality of leather used in my JCW steering wheel, surface dyed instead of drum dyed. Only a few weeks and the white is showing through around the stitches.

I'm smacking my forehead because I didn't think of this sooner. Anyone know if Katzkin or other aftermarket installers use better leather?

Good quality leather might be enough to offset the additional maintenance, but the quality that comes from MINI is not worth it IMHO.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:17 AM
deovolens
3rd Gear
We get what we pay for.if you buy a Jori made set of lounge chairs the top leather quality will be a supplement of 20.000$.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:12 AM
Speedster
1st Gear
I've had great experience with leather seats and have experienced cracking in one car but that was when it got close to 200k miles. I haven't done cloth in a long time, especially after my husband's hair gel completely gunked up the headrest on the last car with cloth. I haven't found a Justa with leather yet, mostly they're leatherette. I may need to compromise or this car search will last forever. I'm not exactly sure why leatherette seems so popular these days. I thought maybe I didn't understand the benefits versus leather other than cost.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:51 AM
mini-mine
5th Gear
Originally Posted by grueinthebox

No, you're right on that. Leather breathes, vinyl ("leatherette" / naugahyde / whatever pretty name they want to call it) does not.

If you live in a hot climate, cloth is definitely the way to go if you can find it. Leather second, leatherette a distant third. Here in Houston if I were to buy a car with leatherette I'd be mentally factoring in the cost of replacement upholstery.
I prefer the leatherette. Nowadays, especially in MINIs, it is really high quality and looks/feels great. I lived in Houston for 6 years with leatherette in my MINI and never had any issues with overly sweating. I had tinted windows and kept the sunroof shade closed in the Summer with the zippee shades in.

In all I'd say it depends on your preference, how much you sweat and how easy you want it to keep clean. I dislike cloth as it absorbs all the sweat/odour people complain about with leatherette/leather and leaves stains. It also doesn't look as nice IMO. I'd rather sweat a little and be able to wipe it off, but honestly I haven't had this issue enough to make it annoying. I now live in Seattle and it was great having leatherette with the rain/mud as it just wipes clean.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:53 PM
Nicefeet
5th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
The stuff that passes for leather these days is a joke. I don't really care for the leather in my R53 and I kind of wish it had leatherette

Old 07-24-2014, 04:58 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I hate my r53 leatherette seats, I wish they were real leather. The leatherette I had in my 3 series was 100x better, this stuff dents and gets deformed quite easily.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:02 PM
St_G
4th Gear
I don't mind my leatherette, except that I wish it came in more color options. The real leather seats I've seen in Minis have seemed to look a bit shabby rather quickly, and I can't imagine my fat *** helping there.

Sent from my phone using NAMotoring, which is why I've probably mistyped something.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:31 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
black plastic seats is a BAD memory from my 1966 Mustang convert'

HOT HOT seats

I saw an improvement in the quality of the materials between my 2002S with Lapis Blue leather and my 2007 Tuscan. After 2 years my Lapis showed BAD wear on certain points of the driver's seat. (wear is not a warranty issue) My 2007 seats looked as good at 7 years as they did on day one ... granted I cleaned them and used a quality treatment product.

The all leather Recaros in my current ride were quite a dollar plus up so I certainly expect them to wear well

ALL my leathers have been WAY more comfortable than any plastic seat cover over the years and much more cleanable than the cloth I had in the interim.

Last edited by Capt_bj; 07-26-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:27 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
I like the way leather feel - luxurious. But leatherette quality has improved alot. It can retain more heat than leather but that's why we have AC. And with the the low maintenance and still looking like new through years of abuse, I'll take leatherette over leather from now on.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:48 PM
St_G
4th Gear
Honestly, you can get higher quality leather, for less money, by taking your cloth or leatherette-equipped car to an upholsterer than you can get from MINI directly.

Sent from my phone using NAMotoring, which is why I've probably mistyped something.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:07 PM
Nicefeet
5th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by St_G
Honestly, you can get higher quality leather, for less money, by taking your cloth or leatherette-equipped car to an upholsterer than you can get from MINI directly.

It would be nice, but MINI on the first gens glued the foam to the covers.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:25 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cccplus
It can retain more heat than leather but that's why we have AC.
My experience has been that the leatherette is hot even with the AC.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:39 PM
St_G
4th Gear
I did not know that. True in the second gen too?

Originally Posted by Nicefeet

It would be nice, but MINI on the first gens glued the foam to the covers.