General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Fuelly Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 07:48 PM
MyAudioDNA
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid Fuelly Question

I just put my first fill up into fuelly, and it's already giving me an mpg reading. How can it possibly have an mpg reading with only one entry? Maybe I'm just stupid and am not understanding something, but this seems to be wrong.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:23 PM
gerry2153
4th Gear
Congrats....
They are very smart....
Just drive and enjoy

Old 04-22-2014, 08:33 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
It's all theoretical physics, algorithms and voodoo but what it boils down to is fuel flow thru a fuel flow sensor and another sensor that tells the genie how many times the drive shaft goes round and round.
BTW, more fuel flows thru the sensor at 60 MPH in 3rd gear than does in 6th gear.
But who really cares? gerry1253 has the right idea. Motor on, challenge the twisties and be sure to wave at your fellow MINI people.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:36 PM
MyAudioDNA
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
It's all theoretical physics, algorithms and voodoo but what it boils down to is fuel flow thru a fuel flow sensor and another sensor that tells the genie how many times the drive shaft goes round and round.
BTW, more fuel flows thru the sensor at 60 MPH in 3rd gear than does in 6th gear.
Fuelly is a website, fuelly.com

Old 04-22-2014, 08:41 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
So you're saying websites get MPG? What fuel, LP, diesel, JP5?

Old 04-22-2014, 08:44 PM
MyAudioDNA
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
So you're saying websites get MPG? What fuel, LP, diesel, JP5?

Old 04-22-2014, 10:25 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
You enter miles traveled and gallons fuelled up and voila, MPG! I don't understand what you're confused about.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:31 PM
unibus_driver
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MyAudioDNA
I just put my first fill up into fuelly, and it's already giving me an mpg reading. How can it possibly have an mpg reading with only one entry? Maybe I'm just stupid and am not understanding something, but this seems to be wrong.
Did you tell Fuelly both the miles and the gallons? If so, the program can divide the miles by the gallons to get mpg. Of course you can also do so with a bit of arithmetic or a pocket calculator.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:57 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not a fuelly user so I'm not sure what data they ask for, but I do know that on the app I use on my phone one of the settings is whether the fuel efficiency calculation is based on the previous fill-up record or the current fill-up record. Maybe fuelly is doing something similar.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:11 AM
MyAudioDNA
1st Gear
Originally Posted by unibus_driver
Did you tell Fuelly both the miles and the gallons? If so, the program can divide the miles by the gallons to get mpg. Of course you can also do so with a bit of arithmetic or a pocket calculator.
Ok This much I understand. Yes I put in both miles and gallons, but here is what doesn't make sense. The first field in the form is "Miles since last fill up", then the next field is "Gallons", which I take to mean the number of gallons that I just put in my car. So in theory, for the site to be accurate, it should be doing this:

Miles since last fill up divided by # of gallons in LAST fill up = MPG

But since I don't have a previous fill up, yet still have been given and MPG rating, my assumption is that it is doing this:

Miles since last fill up divided by # of gallons in THIS fill up = MPG

If it is indeed doing that second calculation and not the first, then this is a completely useless calculation as the amount of miles I drove since my last fill up has absolutely no correlation to the # of gallons I just put in my tank in relationship to the mpg I got on my last tank.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:25 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Actually so long as you're consistant that exactly what you want. Resaon being, once you fill up that should show how many gallons you used during your last tank of travel. So what the app or website does is take your miles driven / total used amount of gas. You will not know how many gallons you actually used during the last tank until you fill the tank up.

Another example would be a partial fill up (which I never do). Just before you take off you fill your tank with ~11.5 gallons you drive a while but your on a stretch of highway that won't see a gas station for a long time so you decide to fill up. Now you won't know how many gallons you actually drove until you get to a gas station and fill the tank back up to full. Only then will you know how many gallons you used during that time. Then take the ~210 miles / ~7 gallons and you have ~30mpg. Thats why it takes the current fill because that the amount of fuel you used

Old 04-23-2014, 08:28 AM
MyAudioDNA
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Grizld700
Actually so long as you're consistant that exactly what you want. Resaon being, once you fill up that should show how many gallons you used during your last tank of travel. So what the app or website does is take your miles driven / total used amount of gas. You will not know how many gallons you actually used during the last tank until you fill the tank up.

Another example would be a partial fill up (which I never do). Just before you take off you fill your tank with ~11.5 gallons you drive a while but your on a stretch of highway that won't see a gas station for a long time so you decide to fill up. Now you won't know how many gallons you actually drove until you get to a gas station and fill the tank back up to full. Only then will you know how many gallons you used during that time. Then take the ~210 miles / ~7 gallons and you have ~30mpg. Thats why it takes the current fill because that the amount of fuel you used
That is exactly what I was missing! I knew I had to be missing something. As I suspected, it was my brain failing me, not the website, haha. Thanks Grizld700!

Old 04-23-2014, 08:29 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No Prob