General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MC2 eMagazine - Out of Business?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 11:22 AM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MC2 eMagazine - Out of Business?

MC2 has an electronic version of the magazine available via iTunes and is viewable in the Newsstand application for iPhone/iPad. I ordered a subscription, got the first issue downloaded, but now that issue has disappeared and it seems to have forgotten that I have a subscription. I have sent several emails to the magazine and get no response. Does anyone know if they are still operating? Given the really poor customer service, I may try to get my money back from Apple, but probably will have no luck.

I subscribed to the (paper) magazine a number of years ago, but stopped. The electronic version seemed to be a good, lower-cost option, but only if they actually provide a magazine!

This may just be lousy customer service (their web sit is still up) - but maybe they are having problems. Does anyone know how to actually get in contact with them - other than the standard email address?

David

Old 08-15-2013, 11:30 AM
RonG
2nd Gear
Figures

I subscribed last month after being away for several years. I have yet to see anything. Figures. I just threw $24 buck down the toilet.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Miniology
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anything you buy on iTunes is fully refundable. Just click the "report a problem" link on the receipt and you can get your money back. Apple isn't picky about a reason and is happy to refund iTunes purchases promptly.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:43 AM
RonG
2nd Gear
Mc2

Didn't go through iTunes, (wouldn't go through iTunes for anything for that fact). Went directly to MC2 web site. Which as you've noted is still up.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:14 PM
minirab
5th Gear
Go to ********************* and read the thread on this subject. The print

version not the digital one.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:15 PM
minirab
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minirab
Go to ********************* and read the thread on this subject. The print

version not the digital one.

You guys are unreal!

Old 08-15-2013, 02:29 PM
05r50
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Haha.

The *s above are the result of this site not wanting people to send referral links to another site which this site has a personal issue with.

So NAM repalces the name with *s.

Google can help you find "the fun and friendly MINI forum"

Old 08-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
After reading this I wanted to help you out. I am friends with Barry and let him know of this issue and here was his response. Please read the message and not the delivery of it.

"We have received nothing from anyone since last week. We launched an update to our App about 10-15 days ago and cured every e-mail and 2-3 phone calls that I have spoken with Don. I cannot post into NAM or the other "friendly" site as I don't have privileges for either being a business. I would like to address anyone that says we (which is essentially me, the owner/publisher) have lousy or otherwise negative customer service. I answer EVERY phone call, and return EVERY phone call even overseas on occasion as that's just me. The MC2 site has my e-mail peppered throughout it, and there's a contact button selection, too. My e-mail is publisher@mc2magazine.com, and my phone is 360/ 698-7926. Send me yours and I will call or e-mail you. We have a published fix for the problems the last week, so anyone desiring a refund will likely not require such as we can and will fix any or all problems we caused.
Please people, it's just not right to trash a business as you can remotely, no matter what or who. Have the decency to contact them and look for a solution. This is the one reason why I don't frequent forums, too many men put fingers to keyboard and trash anyone at will. It didn't happen in the days of pen and paper as it took time eh
My name is Barry Brazier, Publisher, President and all that rot of MC2. I am the responsible party for the magazine's sites. Give me a chance to prove I am worthy of your hard-earned $$$… Barry 360/ 698-7926 publisher@mc2magazine.com"

Old 08-15-2013, 04:37 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
David I am sure he would love to hear from you to discuss your issues.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:22 PM
RonG
2nd Gear
Mc2

Originally Posted by Braminator
David I am sure he would love to hear from you to discuss your issues.
I've e-mailed him twice in the past three weeks. Never got a response back. I'm not trashing anyone or any business. Just telling you what has happened. Other than a confirmation e-mail with the order number on it, I've heard nothing, and received nothing. Just that simple.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:34 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
PM your email or phone number and I am positive he will get in touch with you.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Maybe this will help.
We recently did a major back-end update.

All of the issues and subscription in the app are setup so clients only pay once (you won't be charged for any issues you already had).

- Launch the app

Subscribers:
- go to subscription page - tap on the subscription you previously had as if you're purchasing again, but you won't be charged
- Confirm that you're subscribing, "buying"
- At that point a message will appear that says "Hey you already bought this, want to download it again?"
- Say yes
- Download
- You are not charged by Apple again

One off issues:
- Go to main store / inventory page
- Tap on the green $5.99 for whatever issue you had previously owned, as if you're purchasing again, but you won't be charged
- Confirm that you're "buying"
- At that point a message will appear that says "Hey you already bought this, want to download it again?"
- Say yes
- Download
- You are not charged by Apple again

If you have any trouble, please contact our developer support@nov8rix.com.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:06 PM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
MC2 eMagazine

Thanks for your help - I have sent another email to Barry describing the situation. My other two emails were sent via a link on the Web page, and perhaps that was an issue - though they seemed to send.

The instructions to restore the subscription don't work for me - I don't even see the one-year subscription that I ordered listed - just a six-month subscription. There is also what looks like a another link, but it is blank, and if you click on it the app crashes back to the iPad start screen. I also tried the other support link, but it is to a general app developer with nothing specific for the MC2 app.

We will see what happens and I will post the outcome. I have some sympathy for small magazine publishers, so I can be patient.

David

Old 08-16-2013, 02:02 PM
RonG
2nd Gear
GOOD NEWS

Just got a call from Barry at MC2. I was planning on calling him but he beat me to it. MC2 is still their and still putting out magazines next issue will ship in eight to ten days. He's doing is best to address any issues raised on this site. We just need to cut him some slack. I'm looking forward to the next issue.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:18 PM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
MC2 Support

I got a response from Barry and he has referred my problem to the app developer. Maybe they can fix it.

David

Old 08-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Thats great news.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:42 PM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
MC2 eMagazine

No response from the app developer. I let Barry know, and no further response from him either. I guess I will see if I can get Apple to refund my money since they have not delivered any issues that I paid for. Too bad.

The app developer (apparently) develops apps for others (including MC2) - so I am not really surprised that they don't want to support this. It's tough for small publishers, but they do have to deliver a publication.

David

Old 08-28-2013, 03:19 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
I will see if I can help you by letting him know.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:25 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by HamsterDR
No response from the app developer. I let Barry know, and no further response from him either. I guess I will see if I can get Apple to refund my money since they have not delivered any issues that I paid for. Too bad.

The app developer (apparently) develops apps for others (including MC2) - so I am not really surprised that they don't want to support this. It's tough for small publishers, but they do have to deliver a publication.

David
You should of received an email from him a few minutes ago.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:15 AM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
MC2 eMagazine Fixed!

Finally was able to connect with Barry and the developer. I sent the developer a snapshot of the iPad screen - they identified the bug and released a new version. I was able to delete my version and reinstall - and then by selecting the one-year subscription option (which was missing before) I was able to download the issue. It seems to be working fine now. The developer indicated they have another update coming soon to improve performance.

So, thanks to Braminator for helping me get in contact and the developer for getting this fixed. I expect to enjoy the magazine going forward.

David

Old 09-08-2013, 11:36 AM
tampadave
5th Gear
The last magazine I received was the June/July '13 issue. I guess they will send out the August/September print issue in mid-September? That seems odd - usually subscribers get the issue before news stands.

I picked up the September/October '13 of "Modern MINI" at Barnes & Noble over a week ago. And that print magazine comes from Great Britain.

Am I missing an issue or is "MC2" always this lat? I'm a relatively new subscriber, so I'm not sure what to think.

Dave

Old 09-08-2013, 11:43 AM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
Current Issue of MC2

The latest issue is June/July 2013. That is the (electronic) issue that I have now.

Conventional magazines ship a month or two ahead of the date on the magazine - I think these smaller publishers lag that a lot. I am hoping for a new issue by the end of this month.

David

Old 09-08-2013, 12:00 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Originally Posted by HamsterDR
The latest issue is June/July 2013. That is the (electronic) issue that I have now.

Conventional magazines ship a month or two ahead of the date on the magazine - I think these smaller publishers lag that a lot. I am hoping for a new issue by the end of this month.

David
I see. I e-mailed the MC2 publisher to check their normal distribution times or, alternatively, to see if I'm missing an issue. As I said earlier, I picked up the Sept/Oct issue of "Modern MINI" at Barnes & Noble almost two weeks ago. It came over the Atlantic PDQ.

I'll await his response. I hope everything turns out fine. I've enjoyed the magazine so far.

Dave

Old 09-08-2013, 11:28 PM
gr8ful
4th Gear
I have been a subscriber for over a year and always receive my hard copies. Have not gottten the Sept-Oct issue yet know It will come soon.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:50 AM
tampadave
5th Gear
I e-mailed Barry and he responded immediately. I am 100% satisfied with his response and fully expect to renew MC2 when my initial subscription expires. It's a great little magazine.

Thanks for all the help, Bram. If you happen to speak to Barry, let him know my public response on NAM.

Quick Reply: MC2 eMagazine - Out of Business?