General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini Sales Figures

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 03:41 PM
EHans
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Sales Figures

Note: The latest figures are in this thread at this post.

I wanted to see how the various models were tracking since 2010 and came up with this. If there is interest, I'll keep updating it monthly as new numbers are released. Actually, if there is no interest, I'll still update, I just won't publish updates.

Last edited by EHans; 08-01-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:47 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Appears pretty obvious the Clubman's days are numbered.

Although I personally love the Coupe and hope it stays around a while, the sales don't support it's long term success either.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:50 PM
EHans
5th Gear
By the way, this is sales in North America only as reported by BMW North America.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:27 PM
alan.dg
2nd Gear
Nice chart, thanks for putting this together! Interesting that all of the less popular models take a dip in the winter, while the Hardtop and Countryman have that spike in December. Also, no one buys cars in January, apparently.

What's most remarkable to me about this is the huge range of numbers that a single model goes through. 3,367 Hardtops sold in April 2011, compared to 1,569 just four months later. That's a pretty wide sweep.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:33 PM
EHans
5th Gear
Thanks! Remember the Oxford plant retools in the late summer, so for the original line, you'll see a dip as no custom models get built. Not sure when the Austrian plant does the same.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 06-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Chimera
5th Gear
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB

Although I personally love the Coupe and hope it stays around a while, the sales don't support it's long term success either.
Agreed. I think when they move the Coupe/Roadster to the F platform, it'll become a single model with a retractable hardtop and they'll keep the regular convertible for those who want a ragtop.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:38 AM
alan.dg
2nd Gear
FWIW, the folks at MINI USA have more or less assured MotoringFile that the Clubman isn't going anywhere, though there will be some changes: http://www.motoringfile.com/2013/04/...-model-lineup/

Old 06-09-2013, 07:16 AM
MiniMello
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It looks like the Paceman is a turd as far as sales. I was at the dealer here and the new GP was in the showroom. very nice I was impressed until I looked at the price. It isnt a 40k car to me.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:28 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Considering a nicely optioned JCW runs from the mid to high 30's, it doesn't seem out of line to me that a GP would run $40K.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:55 AM
gezz81
2nd Gear
+1; very interesting info. Any chance we can have a breakdown of the special editions (i.e. Bayswater, Baker street, etc.. ) thanks in advance!

Old 06-09-2013, 08:05 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by EHans
I wanted to see how the various models were tracking since 2010 and came up with this. If there is interest, I'll keep updating it monthly as new numbers are released. Actually, if there is no interest, I'll still update, I just won't publish updates.
Fantastic -- I hope you will continue updating this.

I find all the colors a little hard to track (thank you, protanopia). Thanks for including the actual data tables -- using that I can make my own chart a bit more friendly to my defective color receptors

Old 06-09-2013, 09:05 AM
EHans
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMello
It looks like the Paceman is a turd as far as sales. I was at the dealer here and the new GP was in the showroom. very nice I was impressed until I looked at the price. It isnt a 40k car to me.
The Paceman just doesn't interest me at all, and this coming from a guy that cannot wait for his new Countryman to arrive! There just doesn't seem to be a big 2-door crossover market for any make. There is just too much out back IMHO for designers to have to fool with, and I've never seen one that hits me right.

Don't get me wrong though, I hope it survives and becomes more successful than the first 3 months would lead you to believe. What is good for Mini is good for all of us. Besides, even though the Countryman is an apparent runway success for a Mini model, it can only help to have a 2nd or 3rd model in the Austrian plant to help absorb overhead.

Originally Posted by gezz81
+1; very interesting info. Any chance we can have a breakdown of the special editions (i.e. Bayswater, Baker street, etc.. ) thanks in advance!
Afraid not. BMW doesn't even break it down between Cooper, Cooper S and JCW, or manual and automatic, much less styles and packages. You'll occasionally see data that will look at the Cooper and S (see link below) but that is in total, not by model, and the JCW is lumped in with the S and the One is in there, something that doesn't exist on North American shores.

Originally Posted by bratling
Fantastic -- I hope you will continue updating this.

I find all the colors a little hard to track (thank you, protanopia). Thanks for including the actual data tables -- using that I can make my own chart a bit more friendly to my defective color receptors
Great! Hope you find it useful. I've changed the colors for the next run a bit, but I am afraid I won't be able to help you much as people that suffer from some form of colorblindness have a wide array of different colors that give them problems, so what may work for you won't work for my wife's uncle for example.

By the way, if you are interested in totals only here are Mini sales by month going back to 2001.

In 2012, total worldwide sales were 301,526, a record for the modern Mini. The Countryman made up 33.9% of that. I am sure the hardtop was larger, probably in the 38%-42% range, then the other 4 models (Clubman, Coupe, Roadster, Convertible) making up the balance.

The Hardtop and Countryman are definitely the linchpin of Mini sales right now.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:58 AM
MiniMello
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Considering a nicely optioned JCW runs from the mid to high 30's, it doesn't seem out of line to me that a GP would run $40K.
I dont think mid to high 30s is worth it for that either I paid 10 for mine with low mileage and its old and I do not see that GP I was looking at being 4 times the car. It is nice but If I had 4 of mine or a gp I would take 4 of mine and have the same cash out. If someone likes it and has 40k to burn they are the 2k that it was produced for but in practical terms a GP or JCW isnt worth the price asking IMHO and I have been a car guy my whole life , its like a shelby500, half the people buying it will never drive it, it costs too damn much lol.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:39 PM
gezz81
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by EHans

Afraid not. BMW doesn't even break it down between Cooper, Cooper S and JCW, or manual and automatic, much less styles and packages. You'll occasionally see data that will look at the Cooper and S (see link below) but that is in total, not by model, and the JCW is lumped in with the S and the One is in there, something that doesn't exist on North American shores.

By the way, if you are interested in totals only here are Mini sales by month going back to 2001.

In 2012, total worldwide sales were 301,526, a record for the modern Mini. The Countryman made up 33.9% of that. I am sure the hardtop was larger, probably in the 38%-42% range, then the other 4 models (Clubman, Coupe, Roadster, Convertible) making up the balance.

The Hardtop and Countryman are definitely the linchpin of Mini sales right now.

Thank you for the info and I also hope that you keep updating your thread. SUBSCRIBED!

Old 06-09-2013, 07:12 PM
EHans
5th Gear
It looks like the Paceman is a turd as far as sales.
I thought about this a bit more and checked out the Mini site. They still aren't offering any incentives for the Paceman - no special financing, college program, etc. A month ago the same could be said for the Roadster, but that now has pretty much the same offers as all of the others.

Looks like BMW is going to ride this out for a while. Maybe they are ok with this one selling 2-3K in the US annually.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:23 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not surprised at how many Countrymen I see on the roads these days.. clearly its the big seller.

I suspect a redesigned f55 Clubman would entail a standard 4 door (er 6 door) design... would be much more appealing to North America.. Still I love the Clubdoor... Will be sorry to see it go.. that said.. I never liked owning a "common car"... seems its not going to change!

Old 06-10-2013, 07:38 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alan.dg
Nice chart, thanks for putting this together! Interesting that all of the less popular models take a dip in the winter, while the Hardtop and Countryman have that spike in December. Also, no one buys cars in January, apparently.
You have to remember BMW/MINI USA accounting methodology - they count dealer orders, not end customer sales! MB USA made a big stink about it (they count end customer sales/registrations) when BMW USA stuffed the dealer pipeline last year to beat them to the full-year luxury car sales crown

The January slump is just the unwinding of December dealer pipeline stuffing to meet full-year sales goals

a

Old 06-10-2013, 07:53 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
I dont think mid to high 30s is worth it for that either I paid 10 for mine with low mileage and its old and I do not see that GP I was looking at being 4 times the car. It is nice but If I had 4 of mine or a gp I would take 4 of mine and have the same cash out. If someone likes it and has 40k to burn they are the 2k that it was produced for but in practical terms a GP or JCW isnt worth the price asking IMHO and I have been a car guy my whole life , its like a shelby500, half the people buying it will never drive it, it costs too damn much lol.

You are certainly welcome to your opinion but there are a whooooole lot of MINI owners who disagree with you and believe the JCW and GP are worth their price.

I bought a 2005 Justa last year for $8600. I just ordered a new JCW for around $35K. And I am sure that after I get my JCW, I will tell you that I can't say which MINI was the better deal.

They are two very different cars though. And I will still be driving one of them long after the other one is in the MINI graveyard.

Is the new JCW worth 4 times what the used Justa cost ? I'll let you know in a couple of months but I bet I will tell you an emphatic YES !!

Old 06-10-2013, 07:57 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
... only if you fail to evaluate the alternatives.

Even within the BMW family, $39K will buy you a 135i that will drive circles around GP in full comfort (0-60 in 4.8 vs 5.9 for GP), and have a much higher resale value to boot.

Try benchmarking 135i's lease at $399*/month for 36 months vs. anything Mini can offer. Or better don't - it's depressing.

Once you expand your gaze beyond BMW car family, $40K for GP + dealer marke-up (make that ~$45K) becomes even sillier.
Which might explain why there are 2 (two!) GPs sitting proud and lonely on my dealer's lot

Yet, GP looks oh so devilishly stylish !

a

Old 06-10-2013, 07:59 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
I hardly believe a 135 would "drive circles" around a GP. Or have a "much higher" resale.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:19 PM
EHans
5th Gear
Originally Posted by afadeev
... only if you fail to evaluate the alternatives.

Even within the BMW family, $39K will buy you a 135i that will drive circles around GP in full comfort (0-60 in 4.8 vs 5.9 for GP), and have a much higher resale value to boot.

Try benchmarking 135i's lease at $399*/month for 36 months vs. anything Mini can offer. Or better don't - it's depressing.

Once you expand your gaze beyond BMW car family, $40K for GP + dealer marke-up (make that ~$45K) becomes even sillier.
Which might explain why there are 2 (two!) GPs sitting proud and lonely on my dealer's lot

Yet, GP looks oh so devilishly stylish !

a
So? Even if you are right, and I am not conceding that, if you just want to go like stink, get a Subaru WRX. The BMW 1 and 3 series do nothing for me.

Not sure why you are trying to convince people the GP isn't worth it. Sour grapes perhaps?

Worth is in the eye of the beholder. For me, the JCW isn't worth it, but that is because I don't place the value in the All4 and extra HP for the money. But I can absolutely see where someone else would. Heck, 5-10 years ago I might have. Today though I just want a zippy little car that will get me to the occasional trailhead and carry my running gear with me.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:39 AM
6thGear
4th Gear
Nice data. Seems when the Countryman showed up on the scene, the verts and Clubman took a relatively big hit. If the Countryman came with a bigger motor option, I might be driving one instead of the Clubman.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:12 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I suppose the convertible is a goner too, as it has lower sales than the Clubman... which outsells every MINI except the Hardtop and the Countryman.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:18 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Look at the trend line. That tells you more than the actual numbers. Convertibles were never built to sell in high quantities. The Coupe is a newer vehicle and production may be around their target. But look at that trend line on the Clubman.... down, down, down.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:36 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Look at the trend line. That tells you more than the actual numbers. Convertibles were never built to sell in high quantities. The Coupe is a newer vehicle and production may be around their target. But look at that trend line on the Clubman.... down, down, down.
No, if you look at the graph, it's relatively flat (all MINI sales are trending down right now, BTW). And like I said, it consistently outsells four other MINI lines, year to year. Still.

The 'vert outsells it in the springtime, but lags the rest of the year. The Clubvan's modest addition (less modest in the EU) will simply solidify it as MINI's #3 line.

Quick Reply: Mini Sales Figures