MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > MINIs in General > General MINI Talk
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
Aloha
2 Replies, 104 Views
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Neutral

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Garage
Neglect & Abuse of a MINI

Is this a bad sign?

Click the image to open in full size.

"We must have been drinking when we ordered it."

Convenience Package
Cold Weather Package
Premium Package
Sport Package
17" Web Spoke Wheels
Lifetime Satellite Radio
Aerodynamic Kit
etc.. etc... etc.. (lots of little extras)

Well, when a couple purchases a 2008 MINI Clubman S with enough options to hit $34,800, the expected reasoning is not to save a few dollars on gas. As it was "just not the same" as her Lexus, the owner kept driving her Lexus while the MINI sat around for the most part. The car was only driven about 10,200 Miles. It seems to have functioned as "home base" during games of tag as evidenced by a few dings on each side.

It had not been washed for at least the past 3 years.

IT NEVER HAD AN OIL CHANGE AFTER PURCHASE.

Actually, it never received any kind of maintenance. Well, I have to assume oil was added to the engine occasionally as it was 1/2 quart low and not bone dry. Also, the rear floor mats were well lubricated with lolipop sticks and bits of melted candy.

I purchased it a few weeks ago, tagged it Friday and Changed the Oil Saturday. The car's window sticker shows it was printed in 200808004. Friday 4/6/13, @ 10,496 Miles, was was the car's first oilchange.

Godspeed little buddy.

/ HORRIBLE armrest removed
// Stock Side Scuttles re-installed
/// Chrome Hood scoop removed
// Timing chain tensioner on order
/ PCV blanking caps on order
Old 04-08-2013, 06:17 PM
4th Gear

Gallery
Garage
Good thing it's in good hands now. I hope it doesn't give you any trouble in the future.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Neutral

Gallery
Well that's quite saddening, people that have no idea what they have and just abuse it like its dirt, its just a shame. Glad it's been saved
Old 04-08-2013, 07:46 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Ugh, I hate hearing about this about any car let alone a Mini!.. People don't realize that cars are something you need to take care of, like a pet dog/cat/rabbit.. Hopefully all is well down the road..

The "Brown Bulldog"

2008 Mini Cooper Clubman
Old 04-08-2013, 07:52 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
Not so darned sure I wouldn't just change everything resembling a fluid if that is the kind of behavior the previous owners displayed. I'd even change the blinker fluid. Anybody who'd leave sticky all over the place...well...

I hope your li'l guy responds appreciatively to your kind ministrations.
MITM, MITO X3, '13 Olpe Chicken Run, Elk Falls Outhouse Tour X5
Old 04-08-2013, 08:40 PM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gallery
Good Luck!!
I can only hope the oil was changed at a local place that did not how to reset the computer cause the dealer was too hard to get too for an appointment!! In any-case, a couple of quick oil-changes might be called for just to flush any sludge and contaminates from the motor.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:04 AM
Platinum Sponsor

Gallery
+1 on inspecting the oil. A couple oil changes might be in order.

Inspect air filter, old oil filter, check coolant level & coolant. If its been sitting for a long time. I would go through the whole car to make sure everything is ok. Glad you are bringing back to life.

Do you have other pics the links are not showing?

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com | Please click here and tell us how we are doing!
Customer Service Hours: 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM EST|Sales Team Hours: 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM | Saturday 10AM to 7PM EST 800.924.5172
Old 04-09-2013, 08:13 AM
5th Gear

Send a message via AIM to jasonsmf
Gallery
10k miles on one oil fill? Although that's definitely higher than most of us go and it's been a couple years, that's still within MINI's mileage interval. I sure wouldn't sweat it, change the oil and enjoy the car I wouldn't expect any damage from this.

Jason

06 BRG/W MCS
SM #4

Old 04-09-2013, 09:22 AM
5th Gear

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Gallery
Garage
I know it may be potentially rude to ask, but one has to wonder how much you paid for it...?

I'm surprised less by the neglect (although c'mon - all they had to do was take it in and the maintenance was covered) than by the fact that they didn't at least get the oil changed and clean the thing before trying to sell it. Must be nice to have money to flush down the toilet...

#3 - '12 MCS · Eclipse Grey / Black · JCW Aero · HK Audio
Old 04-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Neutral

Gallery
Garage
jasonsmf - 10K miles on a regular oil change is not that big a deal. 10K miles on the break-in oil concerns me. It has a slight bit of engine chatter upon startup but it sounds more like lifters and the head than it does from the timing chain.

grueinthebox - I hoped for the best and pretty much paid book value for it ~$18,900. The risk is still there but the potential reward is getting an almost $35K car with just a little wear.

There is still a lot of short-term work for the MINI. The Bently Manual and oil were the first items purchased for the car. Somehow, a wiper blade purchase was overlooked. I just buy cheap ones and change them every 6 months or so. All wipers begin to degrade in a few months.

PCV blanking caps and a timing chain tensioner are on order. It still needs a serious bubble bath, interior detail, and wheel scrubbing. All the door sills have a ton of dust and some of the plastic trim around the car has begun to dry - it needs protectant ASAP.

An OCC for the remaining PCV looks promising. Also, the Sea Foam fogger looks spiffy but I can't really call it "necessary". I'd like to eventually get a better intake but do not want an oiled foam. Anyway - we'll see where it leads.

Figure out what's going on here and win a cookie:

Old 04-10-2013, 08:45 AM
4th Gear

Gallery
Poor MINI :(. Brave man! With that amount of neglect, I'm sure it was not broken in correctly. Hope either they did break it in correctly or there are no long term issues associated with an incorrect breakin. Hope you got a great deal because that is the only way I would have jumped in to save this MINI.

Please report back with the oil analysis!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Neutral

Gallery
Garage
I believe in the Motoman Break-in method. I'm SURE the OP didn't give it that type of break-in or he would have changed the oil the first day. Speaking of break-in, I was REALLY surprised these cars come equipped with Synth oil.

Does Peugot do some sort of break-in at the factory with Dino oil and then switch to Synth?
Old 04-11-2013, 04:02 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4estGimp View Post
Figure out what's going on here and win a cookie:...
Somebody stole your throttle and clutch pedals?
Delivered to the Port Hueneme VDC 10/4/11. Driven HOME by me 10/7/11.
Fuelly log
Old 04-11-2013, 08:57 PM
4th Gear

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eaglebeagle Send a message via MSN to eaglebeagle Send a message via Yahoo to eaglebeagle
Gallery
whoa. i wanna see how this baby fairs when its back in top shape
Old 04-11-2013, 09:31 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
Garage
I think you will be ok, glad its in good hands now!
Old 04-12-2013, 07:39 AM
Platinum Sponsor

Gallery
+1 I am glad to see a "bring back to life" build thread.

sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com | Please click here and tell us how we are doing!
Customer Service Hours: 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM EST|Sales Team Hours: 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM | Saturday 10AM to 7PM EST 800.924.5172
Old 04-13-2013, 12:15 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
Garage
Sad but here's what this says to me...'"just not the same" as her lexus'...guess what that means, it was an "appliance" to her and who cares if the kids threw their suckers on the floor...so glad to see you wanting to make this a Happy MINI again!!
"Good Golly Miss Molly" MATOC #004
Mods: British Flag Side Scuttles, Garmin 2495LMT+EcoRoute HD, Union Jack/Finish Flag Boot Emblem, 35% Tint, JCW Grill, Chrome Line Exterior, 16x7 Enkei T Fork Wheels, Chrome Mirror Caps, Zimmerman Rotors - Akebono Euro Ceramic Pads, OEM Roof Rack, Alta 22mm Rear Sway Bar & Alta Rear Endlinks, PIAA Xtreme White Headlights and Fogs, OEM Driving Lights...
Old 04-13-2013, 03:46 AM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Garage
This really upsets me to see people abuse their cars like this. Lord knows I try and baby the hell out of all my vehicles.

I'm glad it's in good hands now and being well taken care of. Hope this all turns out for the best!

2013 SO/B R56 JCW

Nurburgring: 23 Aug 13
Assen TT Curcuit: 9 Sep 13
Old 04-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Platinum Sponsor

Gallery
4estGimp-

Any progress or update?

Thanks

Old 04-23-2013, 02:42 PM
Neutral

Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4estGimp View Post
Does Peugot do some sort of break-in at the factory with Dino oil and then switch to Synth?
Nope. A lot of newer cars come with synthetic straight from the factory. The last BMW I owned (an M Roadster) came with synthetic (0w-60, which is fun to try to find). And my wife's Mercedes that we traded in for the JCW Coupe came with it. Porsche, Audi, and a lot of American cars, too. In fact, my Jeep Wrangler is the only car I've owned in years that used regular oil.

And while I'm here typing, any updates?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:27 PM
Neutral

Gallery
Garage
The PCV caps and new timing chain tensioner are in but not isntalled. BTW, is there a good source for just the timing chain stretch measuring tool?

Old 04-23-2013, 08:27 PM