General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MINI Cooper Stripes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 10:06 PM
okyeron
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ASKtheteach
I just got stripes from StripeMyMINI.com They were very easy to deal with and even recommended that I go with gloss stripes as opposed to satin, since I wanted to match the JCW Chili Red. I have a 2012 Countryman (Cosmic Blue/White), and right now, I have the white bonnet stripes (not the Viper style, the others that are a combination of a wide and a narrow stripe). I want to replace them with the same style, but in Chili Red. I ordered the stripes on Monday of last week, and had them on Wednesday. I have not yet installed them, but they appear to be good quality.
Any update on the quality of the StripeMyMini stripes?

Are these a wet application or just dry stick-on? They don't have installation instructions on the website, so I'm not sure which they are.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:22 PM
LittleJoe
3rd Gear
I just ordered my set from stripemymini.com. They had exactly what I wanted and the price was better than I found in other places, so I placed the order.

I'm looking forward to putting them on. I'll let you know how they arel

Old 06-08-2013, 05:45 PM
coastal-motoring
1st Gear
Well, I can tell you who NOT to order from! www.mini-graphics.co.uk

I put my order in the day after I ordered my car. My car arrived at the dealer before the stripes did! BUT, my real issue is that they just ignored my emails. To this day, I have still not received a reply from them.

O well, I disputed the charge on my credit card and got my money back even without them replying to me.

I ended up going to Media wraps here in Jacksonville. They used better quality material and it looks fantastic. While I was there, I had them wrap the belt line and chrome around the grill in satin black.

So my 2 cents are, fine a local graphic shop and get exactly what you want!

Old 06-08-2013, 06:25 PM
cooperScaleb05
2nd Gear
I got some sport style stripes from houseofgrafx and was wondering if I could do the install by myself or should I take it to a shop. I had a quote for 350 bucks and I would really like to save the money. I know I can line them up straight but I was worried about air bubbles. Any insight would be great! Thanks!

Old 06-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cooperScaleb05
I got some sport style stripes from houseofgrafx and was wondering if I could do the install by myself or should I take it to a shop. I had a quote for 350 bucks and I would really like to save the money. I know I can line them up straight but I was worried about air bubbles. Any insight would be great! Thanks!
The vinyl I got from them I did myself. I used the 'wet' method on the big parts and the 'dry' method on the smaller bits. I found the biggest thing is to make sure the surface is spotless clean & wax free. Air bubbles *are* going to happen!! But give it a few days and they go away. It took about a week for the larger ones. Also, if you use the wet method, you can try to squeegee the bigger ones out while it's still wet. Don't use too much pressure though, you don't want to stretch the vinyl.

Really though, don't freak out if you get bubbles. I thought I completely screwed up my install but it all looked perfect a week or so later.

Good luck!

-Paul

Old 06-09-2013, 09:34 PM
cooperScaleb05
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Paul!
The vinyl I got from them I did myself. I used the 'wet' method on the big parts and the 'dry' method on the smaller bits. I found the biggest thing is to make sure the surface is spotless clean & wax free. Air bubbles *are* going to happen!! But give it a few days and they go away. It took about a week for the larger ones. Also, if you use the wet method, you can try to squeegee the bigger ones out while it's still wet. Don't use too much pressure though, you don't want to stretch the vinyl.

Really though, don't freak out if you get bubbles. I thought I completely screwed up my install but it all looked perfect a week or so later.

Good luck!

-Paul
Well I hope to try next week when I get back from Texas. Thanks a lot and yours look really nice so if mine come out like yours I won't be disappointed!

Old 06-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Paul!
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cooperScaleb05
Well I hope to try next week when I get back from Texas. Thanks a lot and yours look really nice so if mine come out like yours I won't be disappointed!
Thanks!

Last words of advice is to go slowly and not rush it, and *do not* try to peel the application tape off too early if you do the wet method. Let it dry for at least a few hours with the tape on. I got excited when I put the first side stripe on and tried to peel off the tape way too soon. The stripe started to peel up, and when I pushed it back down, I got a huge bubble caught in it!!! It did eventually work it's way out on its own, but I hated myself for a good while!

-Paul

Old 06-11-2013, 08:45 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Having installed several sets of bonnet stripes and one set of sport stripes, I will say without hesitation:

Use the wet method for sport stripes. It's hard to keep them absolutely straight when doing the dry method. Do them wet and yes, let them dry for several hours, even a day, if you can, before stripping the protective cover off the top of them.

Bonnet stripes, especially OEM ones which are nice, thick vinyl, actually easier to use the dry method.

One last note that I learned the hard way: Always strip the wax off the area you are striping. If not, the stripes won't adhere to the paint well enough and when you take off that protective cover, you will pull up the stripes.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:12 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Used houseofgrafx

Ended up having my tint guy do the install for $150. Look great!
Warning for those like me in and among the flora: washed the car this weekend and removed a lot of tree droppings. Those orange glops? They stain the stripes yellow.

MINI Cooper Stripes?-image-1579122011.jpg

Old 06-12-2013, 06:58 AM
Inkw8ll
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by coastal-motoring
I just order from www.mini-graphics.co.uk

They seem to have a good rep. I was going to order from StripeMyMINI.com, but I had emailed them with a questions, and still never received a reply.

I ordered: https://www.mini-graphics.co.uk/mini...tripes-thinner

I will update and post pics when they are on the car
Great options on this site and I like the GP side stripe without the GP logo

Old 06-12-2013, 07:02 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdraildesignlab
Used houseofgrafx

Ended up having my tint guy do the install for $150. Look great!
Warning for those like me in and among the flora: washed the car this weekend and removed a lot of tree droppings. Those orange glops? They stain the stripes yellow.

Attachment 76656
Yeah, watch where you park your MINI. Treep sap and other junk from the trees will stain not only your stripes, but your clear coat. You can get it out but it can be a bear. Happened to our Countryman once and I found the best way to get rid of tree sap stains on white stripes is to use a dap of "Scratch-X" on a microfiber towel. Rub gently.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:11 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey thanks for that tip!

Old 06-17-2013, 10:20 AM
LittleJoe
3rd Gear
I installed my stripes over the weekend that I bought from stripemymini. I received a set of boot and bonnet stripes for $43. Free shipping.

I installed the bonnet stripes on Saturday and the boot stripes this morning. So far, I'm very happy with my stripes!

Old 06-19-2013, 03:32 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
Yeah, watch where you park your MINI. Treep sap and other junk from the trees will stain not only your stripes, but your clear coat. You can get it out but it can be a bear. Happened to our Countryman once and I found the best way to get rid of tree sap stains on white stripes is to use a dap of "Scratch-X" on a microfiber towel. Rub gently.
I also have white stripes on my Countryman. They were absolutely filthy, and I tried repeatedly to clean them. Finally, in desperation, I grabbed a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. They are like brand new again!

Old 06-19-2013, 05:21 AM
MinneMINI
3rd Gear
I also have white stripes on my Countryman. They were absolutely filthy, and I tried repeatedly to clean them. Finally, in desperation, I grabbed a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. They are like brand new again!
Careful with those 'Magic' erasers. Nothing magic about them, they are just sandpaper. Very, very fine sandpaper.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:24 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
No, actually they're not sandpaper.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:46 AM
MinneMINI
3rd Gear
No, actually they're not sandpaper.
I'm sorry, *acts exactly like* very, very fine sandpaper. Use it on a painted wall sometime and watch the sheen go away and notice there is paint on it as well. Since most stripes are glossy this would certainly take that sheen off. In the end ASKtheteach, YOU can use it on your stripes, but I think I will not. Cheers!

Old 06-19-2013, 07:57 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
While I certainly would not use it on the paint of my car, it worked very well on the stripes. In another thread, there was a suggestion to use compound on the stripes, which would be even more harsh. FWIW, the Magic Eraser brought back the shine to the stripes, as it had dulled with the dirt.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:00 PM
wilpower
2nd Gear
:-p

And now this....

Attached Thumbnails MINI Cooper Stripes?-mini-black.jpg  
Old 06-19-2013, 06:02 PM
MinneMINI
3rd Gear
Man that is sick looking!

Old 06-27-2013, 09:05 PM
crashmattb
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by wilpower
And now this....
Now that's a slick ride. Very nice roadster!

Old 09-26-2013, 06:53 AM
JCW_Coupe
5th Gear
question for those using stripemymini, they never answer email, so i hope you can answer, when you ordered the stripes, do they come precut to factory specs? also are their colors say the chili red same as mini or different? thanks in advance!