General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I make the terrible mistake of getting the best all-around car as my first car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 06:37 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Did I make the terrible mistake of getting the best all-around car as my first car?

Hey All,

My '06 MINI is my first car. I'm 29 years old, and rode motorbikes for years before making the transition to four wheeled conveyance a little over two years ago. As my sig illustrates, I've put a lot of mods onto my R50, and I really enjoy driving it. However, I also get the urge to drive something faster, so I periodically go test driving stuff. I haven't driven a HUGE array of cars, but as of today, here's what I've looked at, and found wanting:

All manual transmissions except the Clubman and Ralliart

1997 Honda Prelude
2008 Ford Mustang GT
2010 Hyundai Tiburon
2009 VW GTI
2011 VW GTI
2008 Subaru WRX
2012 Subaru WRX
2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS
2010 Subaru WRX (yes, again.)
2010 Nissan 370Z
2010 MINI Clubman S (auto.)
2008 MINI Cooper S
2003 MINI Cooper S

All of these cars were great in their own right, except the '08 WRX which was clearly abused. Some lacked personality (Hyundai.) and others were great but impractical, like the Nissan with it's awful rear visibility. I'm not in a rush to buy a new car or anything, but it is a strange feeling to think that I'm never going to want to get rid of my car to spend some time with something different! Should I just go all out now, bolt on new headers, cam, JCW head, drive it to California for a tune, and call it a day?

Old 08-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm surprised you didn't like the Cooper-Ss. Its like a MINI, but faster.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:22 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
I can't say I didn't like them... they were quicker than the R50, but it wasn't the dramatic power bump I had anticipated. The NA cooper feels a little punchier at lower speeds (in town.) while the S models accelerated better on the highway past about 120-130KM/h where the Cooper starts to feel strained.

Maybe I need to test drive a JCW or a tuned and modded S?

Old 08-03-2012, 08:04 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
Hey All,

Should I just go all out now, bolt on new header, cam, JCW head, drive it to California for a tune, and call it a day?
^^, this, except splurge for a better head.

BTW, I think your Mini looks great. In fact, I like the front end of the Justa better than the S

Old 08-03-2012, 08:45 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
You could try stepping up in price. Say, a Turbo Porsche?

Old 08-03-2012, 11:04 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Originally Posted by davisflyer
^^, this, except splurge for a better head.

BTW, I think your Mini looks great. In fact, I like the front end of the Justa better than the S
Any recommendations on the head? I didn't know i had any other options! And thank you!

Originally Posted by Slave to Felines
You know, that just might be the ticket! Unfortunately it's out of my budget for another few years, I think. I wonder if I could talk my way into a test drive...

Old 08-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Pure87
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't say I didn't like them... they were quicker than the R50, but it wasn't the dramatic power bump I had anticipated. The NA cooper feels a little punchier at lower speeds (in town.) while the S models accelerated better on the highway past about 120-130KM/h where the Cooper starts to feel strained.

Maybe I need to test drive a JCW or a tuned and modded S?
I tuned S makes a world of difference. My stock '06 MCS isn't exactly slow, but I am repeatedly left behind by a friend who has an '04 MCS with a pulley and exhaust mod, numerous suspension mods, and a custom tune. I originally thought of keeping mine stock, but I'm not so sure now.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:23 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
I forgot, in my list, an '06 Miata, which I really liked a lot, but not aesthetically.

Today, I stopped by MINI and took a 2012 Coupe S for a 45m test drive. I don't know if there's any difference on paper between that and the other "S" cars I've driven, but the power delivery DID feel more dramatic. It pulled hard and sounded really nice. The torque steer was pronounced in some scenarios, but that's not a huge deal. I like the "Surprise, you're speeding!" pop-up spoiler effect. The interior is really nice... just the cloth sport seats, but great bolstering and very comfortable. There wasn't a lot I didn't like about the Coupe. The few bad points were:

Awful rear visibility (Something I'm sure one gets used to.)
Hill Holder is more hindrance than help (IMO.)
Goofy looking, a little... but in all black it looks sharp.

So far, all minor points... BUT! I didn't like how heavy it felt. I'm not sure if it was partially because of the heavy steering due to Sport Mode, but tossing it around did highlight that it feels pretty bulky, compared to the R50. It makes up for it with nearly twice the power, of course, but it's something to think about.

I asked the salesman to call me down if they got in an 05/06 S. I've only driven an '03 R53 so far.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:34 PM
pew1375
3rd Gear
You didn't make a mistake at all! Imagine if you'd ended up with one of the other cars you tested instead of your MINI.... I would say that if you test drive a properly modded S, you would definately see a huge difference! Especially one with a Super Charger Pulley. The whine from the SC is addictive! I always say it's like a yawn. When I'm with other R53's and I hear another MINI whining, somehow I can't help but push my foot to the floor and listen to that beautiful sound!

Old 08-04-2012, 08:37 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Haha.. well, hopefully a clean R53 will come along! I still think it might be hard to part with my Cooper... I've put a lot into it, financially and emotionally but I do like the idea of the easy power gains on the S/C cars while retaining that 1st gen charm.

Originally Posted by pew1375
You didn't make a mistake at all! Imagine if you'd ended up with one of the other cars you tested instead of your MINI.... I would say that if you test drive a properly modded S, you would definately see a huge difference! Especially one with a Super Charger Pulley. The whine from the SC is addictive! I always say it's like a yawn. When I'm with other R53's and I hear another MINI whining, somehow I can't help but push my foot to the floor and listen to that beautiful sound!

Old 08-08-2012, 08:23 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Test drove an '06 350Z today. I'm not sure if I liked it better than the 370Z, or if it's just because I got it overnight for a test run rather than 10m with a dealer next to me. In any case, it's a great car, love the power delivery on the 3.5L V6. Visibility is awful, of course, but I love everything else about it. Steering feedback is good, handling is good, it's not too refined, it's sort of obnoxious and brutish... Love it.

I don't think I can part with my MINI for it, but it's more emotional than logical, because this car is a blast to drive.

Maybe I can have both in a couple of years.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:26 AM
jbkone
4th Gear
As far as your experience with other MINIs goes... The 2nd gen cars (07+ hardtop) have different suspension and steering setups making them not quite as raw as the 1st gen. The S model's turbo instead of the supercharger also is quite different feeling. As far as the 03 S you drove, you should try a newer "refresh" 1st gen, like an 05 or 06. In mid 04 they shortened the gear ratios to make it quicker off the line: something tells me you'd like it

As far as other makes are concerned, I think you'll be hard pressed to find one you enjoy driving as much as the MINI. For me, even if it's faster, it's likely not got the personality my R50 has: the interior is bland, or it's too soft, or too big or something. I wish my R50 had a bit more power, but that's about all I wish for (maybe more reliable).

And congratulations for having the intuition to buy your favorite the first time!

Old 08-09-2012, 02:24 PM
beken
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
You'll always have that feeling so long as you can't have a different car for all different occasions.

In my case, I would need a family car, a muscle car, a sport car for the twisties, an economical and reliable car for commuting, and a car that could haul a lot of stuff. My MINI has a pretty good balance of all those things. I might like something on a particular car better, but my MINI has enough of keep me reasonably satisfied without the compromise of having something I dislike about that other car.

It is a matter of priorities in what you are looking for in your car. MINIs will never be as reliable as, say a Toyota Corolla, nor will they handle like a Lotus Elise, or power around sweeping curves like a Porsche. But they are good enough in all those aspects to hang with those cars. But if your sole priority is for any one thing, then buy the car that specializes in that one thing.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Retired Rev
4th Gear
Danny, the 370Z has the looks of a Bully. Mean, tough and powerful. It was on my list until I tried to get into it. I'm not that big, but I couldn't get behind the wheel no matter how I adjusted the seat and steering wheel. It also came with a near Mercedes price tag!

Now, if I win the lottery, I'd be very tempted to replace my Fiat 500 with an S Coupe. That funky look kind of grows on you.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:17 PM
amancuso
5th Gear
Try looking at a 2000-2002 Z3 either 2.5 or 3.0 engines. They aren't too costly to keep on the road and their prices used are pretty good. I have had a 2000 2.5L for 5 years now and everytime I drive it I smile.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:39 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Slave to Felines
You know, that just might be the ticket! Unfortunately it's out of my budget for another few years, I think. I wonder if I could talk my way into a test drive...
Just for kicks and giggles go test drive the new 2013 Porsche Boxster S or Cayman S. That will put the fire back in your throttle without bust'n out a Porsche Turbo wad! Half the price of a squirel wheel.

The new 981 puts out 315HP and you can get the cool PDK if you are so inclined...

Old 08-09-2012, 06:00 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jbkone
As far as your experience with other MINIs goes... The 2nd gen cars (07+ hardtop) have different suspension and steering setups making them not quite as raw as the 1st gen. The S model's turbo instead of the supercharger also is quite different feeling. As far as the 03 S you drove, you should try a newer "refresh" 1st gen, like an 05 or 06. In mid 04 they shortened the gear ratios to make it quicker off the line: something tells me you'd like it

As far as other makes are concerned, I think you'll be hard pressed to find one you enjoy driving as much as the MINI. For me, even if it's faster, it's likely not got the personality my R50 has: the interior is bland, or it's too soft, or too big or something. I wish my R50 had a bit more power, but that's about all I wish for (maybe more reliable).

And congratulations for having the intuition to buy your favorite the first time!
Yeah, I didn't care for the heavy steering feel in the '08 with the Sport mode on, or the car in general, to be honest! I have asked my MINI dealer to give me a shout if they get in a nice 05 or 06, but honestly I'm not sure if I'd make that particular move. It seems like if I'm gonna buy a different car, it should be a DIFFERENT car!

And thank you! Yeah, a little more power would sure be nice sometimes... it's got more than enough in 90% of scenarios, but sometimes...

Originally Posted by beken
You'll always have that feeling so long as you can't have a different car for all different occasions.

In my case, I would need a family car, a muscle car, a sport car for the twisties, an economical and reliable car for commuting, and a car that could haul a lot of stuff. My MINI has a pretty good balance of all those things. I might like something on a particular car better, but my MINI has enough of keep me reasonably satisfied without the compromise of having something I dislike about that other car.

It is a matter of priorities in what you are looking for in your car. MINIs will never be as reliable as, say a Toyota Corolla, nor will they handle like a Lotus Elise, or power around sweeping curves like a Porsche. But they are good enough in all those aspects to hang with those cars. But if your sole priority is for any one thing, then buy the car that specializes in that one thing.
Very well put. There are so many varieties of cars, and since I can't afford one of everything, I will probably always be curious about getting out of Car A and into Car B (and C, D, E..)

Certainly a first-world problem!

Originally Posted by amancuso
Try looking at a 2000-2002 Z3 either 2.5 or 3.0 engines. They aren't too costly to keep on the road and their prices used are pretty good. I have had a 2000 2.5L for 5 years now and everytime I drive it I smile.
That's a car I hadn't even considered. I know very little about BMW's, maybe I will keep an eye out! Thanks for the tip

Originally Posted by BlackIce
Just for kicks and giggles go test drive the new 2013 Porsche Boxster S or Cayman S. That will put the fire back in your throttle without bust'n out a Porsche Turbo wad! Half the price of a squirel wheel.

The new 981 puts out 315HP and you can get the cool PDK if you are so inclined...

I wonder if a 29 year old guy rolling up in a 6 year old MINI could get a test drive in a 2013 Porsche! Only one way to find out I suppose

Originally Posted by Retired Rev
Danny, the 370Z has the looks of a Bully. Mean, tough and powerful. It was on my list until I tried to get into it. I'm not that big, but I couldn't get behind the wheel no matter how I adjusted the seat and steering wheel. It also came with a near Mercedes price tag!

Now, if I win the lottery, I'd be very tempted to replace my Fiat 500 with an S Coupe. That funky look kind of grows on you.
It does have a very aggressive stance. The window line is too high on it for my taste... I found the visibility to be very poor. I am a smaller guy, 5'8 170lbs, and the seat bolsters were a little narrow. I do have a case of weight lifter V-Taper, so maybe my back is abnormally broad for my height, but I can't imagine big dudes being comfortable in those seats.

I just finished 24 hours with the 350Z, I really liked it. Tempting, but I was still glad to get back into the MINI afterwards, so who knows! It doesn't make financial sense, so I returned it this afternoon... albeit sadly!

Old 08-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Yeah, I didn't care for the heavy steering feel in the '08 with the Sport mode on,
The 12s have a lot lighter steering than an 08S. At least our 12 JCW has a lot lighter steering than our 08S. Personally I prefer the 08, I think the 12 is too light. You might want to see if you can test drive a 12 JCW, its like a MINI, but even more power. The difference from 08S to 12 JCW is quite noticeable.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:35 AM
BlackIce
4th Gear
I wonder if a 29 year old guy rolling up in a 6 year old MINI could get a test drive in a 2013 Porsche! Only one way to find out I suppose
Not a problem in SoCal! Salesman here have learned long ago that you never know who has the big wallet and ability to buy.

I use to shop new dealer rides in my old beat up 60's International Havester Travelalls (still have one 68 4x4 Travelall that I will never sell). Makes for an interesting day of fun and conversation...

I say go for it!

PS: The only dealer I ever had a problem with was the first year the Acura NSX came out. At the LA Auto Show I talked the beautiful model on the turning display into letting me sit in it. As I got out a line was already forming. The model quickly said no to others stating I had one on order already (sharp girl!).

Later when I went to the local dealer they wouldn't even let me sit in it, let alone drive it and I rolled up in a BMW 6 series. They claimed they couldn't find the keys, but if I wanted to order one they'd be happy to help me. Yeah right! I'm gonna order one without driving it...

As I was walking out in discust, they were going on and on about some football player that drives one. YAWN...

Hey, there's another cool used ride to go try out. Bought right it will probably go up in value. New NSX's are on the way.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Not a problem in SoCal! Salesman here have learned long ago that you never know who has the big wallet and ability to buy.
That's not something the dealers around here seem to have learned. I've heard plenty of people at work complaining about not being able to get a dealer's attention. The people at work have some very interesting cars thanks to the stock's performance.

A friend was in an Audi dealer (looking at a Q8 for his daughter) and was idly looking at an R8 when a salesman walked by and said "you can't afford it". He took exception to this as he'd just had some good fortune and could cover the cost of the R8 from his checking account. So he looked up his checking balance on his iPhone an complained to the sales manager showing him the balance. The sales manager was last seen having words with the salesman.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

That's what I was going to suggest. Well, not a new one, but a 1st Gen Cayman or Cayman S.

Fact is, most cars are going to seem boring to drive compared to a MINI, even if they're faster. They just don't have the feel of being "telepathic" like the MINI does.

Speaking of new Boxters, I was just at the local Porsche dealer, and as a 27 year-old with a 4 year old Cooper, I got a nice test drive in a new Boxter S. Might have helped that we just bought a GTI from them, though . Anyway, incredible car, for sure. Plenty fast (not THAT fast, though), but handles and reacts like few other cars do. The limits of that car were way higher than I was willing to test on the street.

If I was going to buy something other than a MINI for myself, I'd have a hard time buying anything except a Lotus or a Cayman... maybe a Miata or FRS/BRZ. I know how you feel: We've been spoiled by the driving dynamics of the MINI and I can't go back to driving numb, wallowy crap!

Old 08-10-2012, 09:17 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
I think a dealer I have a good relationship has an '02 Boxster on the lot, maybe I'll see if I can take a spin this weekend!

Right now I'm entertaining two plans:

1) Thumper head, NS1 camshaft, tune.
2) Buy a 90's foxbody mustang as a second car, so when I want to hoon it up in RWD sliding around corners, I can take that out.

Originally Posted by Blainestang
That's what I was going to suggest. Well, not a new one, but a 1st Gen Cayman or Cayman S.

Fact is, most cars are going to seem boring to drive compared to a MINI, even if they're faster. They just don't have the feel of being "telepathic" like the MINI does.

Speaking of new Boxters, I was just at the local Porsche dealer, and as a 27 year-old with a 4 year old Cooper, I got a nice test drive in a new Boxter S. Might have helped that we just bought a GTI from them, though . Anyway, incredible car, for sure. Plenty fast (not THAT fast, though), but handles and reacts like few other cars do. The limits of that car were way higher than I was willing to test on the street.

If I was going to buy something other than a MINI for myself, I'd have a hard time buying anything except a Lotus or a Cayman... maybe a Miata or FRS/BRZ. I know how you feel: We've been spoiled by the driving dynamics of the MINI and I can't go back to driving numb, wallowy crap!

Old 08-10-2012, 09:17 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My car has plenty of get up and go. I traded in my 2009 and bought the JCW Coupe. I love this car and will never part with it. The thing about buying the Z or any other car for that matter is that your really buying a commodity. There is a Z on every street corner and the same is true for the BMW. However the Mini in my view is still more unique. I rarely see other Coupe's in my hood and we have quite a few Mini's running round.
My car is plenty quick and gives me plenty of what I want in the Mini brand. When I want street light to street light HP I hop in the GTO.

I would keep the Mini or buy another Mini if it were me. Seems to me there are plenty of folks who have bought other brands and regretted it.

Good luck in your quest.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:35 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
I think a dealer I have a good relationship has an '02 Boxster on the lot, maybe I'll see if I can take a spin this weekend!

Right now I'm entertaining two plans:

1) Thumper head, NS1 camshaft, tune.
2) Buy a 90's foxbody mustang as a second car, so when I want to hoon it up in RWD sliding around corners, I can take that out.
Might as well test drive the Boxter. At least then you'll know if you like the Boxter platform or not... although an '02 Boxter may not be apples-to-apples with a newer Cayman.

As you might gather from my screen name, I like Mustangs, too. I actually just got rid of one of mine to make room for a "family car", the GTI.

Originally Posted by PatM
My car has plenty of get up and go. I traded in my 2009 and bought the JCW Coupe. I love this car and will never part with it. The thing about buying the Z or any other car for that matter is that your really buying a commodity. There is a Z on every street corner and the same is true for the BMW. However the Mini in my view is still more unique. I rarely see other Coupe's in my hood and we have quite a few Mini's running round.
My car is plenty quick and gives me plenty of what I want in the Mini brand. When I want street light to street light HP I hop in the GTO.

I would keep the Mini or buy another Mini if it were me. Seems to me there are plenty of folks who have bought other brands and regretted it.

Good luck in your quest.
I agree about the "uniqueness" of the MINI, and your Coupe in particular. That's why an Elise/Exige or Cayman would be at the top of my MINI replacements list. They have incredible driving dynamics, and you're not going to see either of them on every other street corner like you might a Corvette, Z, etc.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:43 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
I like the GTI quite a bit, too. What kind of Mustang did you get rid of for it?

I had the opportunity to test drive an '06 S2000 today. Who knew a Japanese driving appliance could be so fully engaging? Loved the ridiculously short throw on the shifter, great driving position, all controls laid out beautifully, (within reach without taking hands off the wheel.) and, I can't believe I'm saying this... VTec is a blast. It was at MINI of all places. It was a god awful lavender/sky blue color, but in amazing condition, and the previous owner included a car cover, indicating it was probably well loved. Paint was pristine.

I could see myself ditching the MINI for one of those, theoretically. It was everything I love about MINI (small, tossable, quick response to inputs, and so on.) with the addition of being RWD with more power, but still feeling light and nimble. Here I am talking myself into buying it.

I probably won't, as it looks like I'm upside down on my 2.5 year old Cooper loan (Never should have bought that warranty...) and I don't have enough cash on hand to balance it out. Maybe in a year or two, though. Just for fun, when MINI has my car in for service on Tuesday, they'll give me a trade-in offer towards the Honda, who knows.

In the meantime, I tinted my Cooper today. 35% front, 20% rear, 5% sunroof.

(Sorry for treating this thread like my blog! )

Quick Reply: Did I make the terrible mistake of getting the best all-around car as my first car?