General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket windshield washer nozzles??

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 01:53 PM
george schilling
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket windshield washer nozzles??

Love the Mini.......can't stand the windshield washer nozzles. Two streams that always seem to either plug up or spray in the wrong direction. I'm tired of cleaning and adjusting.

Many cars today have nozzles that spray a nice wide swath instead of two narrow streams. Does anyone know of an improved aftermarket nozzle? Do the newer Mini's have decent nozzles I can retro-fit? Mine is an '05 Copper S.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
What makes you think that aftermarket ones aren't the same way? I have never seen one that doesn't need to be adjust and clogs just like the stock ones.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:53 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
130k miles and never an issue......can't say I've ever heard of aftermarket nozzles either.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Kirby11
5th Gear
For mine I've found that little short bursts work better than a long stream - it spritzes lower on the windshield and then the wipers push it to the upper half. Haven't had a plugging issue before but I use mine a lot. Maybe there's a different washer fluid that could help keep them from gumming up?

Old 10-08-2011, 08:46 PM
klricks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't know about after market nozzles but recently I rented a Jeep Compass on a business trip. The nozzles on that car sprayed a fine mist that almost instantly covered the entire windshield.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:53 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are other threads that cover this topic that may have a definitive answer on a vehicle that has a nozzle that will fit on the MINI. On my 2002 I would pull down on the windshield wiper stalk to activate the fast wipers then pull back on the stalk to activate the spray. That way the wipers did not run to the point of working on a dry windshield. They would stop immediately when I let the stalk go. Not sure if it works the same way on my new to me 2006.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:30 AM
george schilling
Neutral
Originally Posted by klricks
Don't know about after market nozzles but recently I rented a Jeep Compass on a business trip. The nozzles on that car sprayed a fine mist that almost instantly covered the entire windshield.
This is the type of nozzle I'm looking for. No adjusting, no clogging. They are so good at wetting the entire area I figured some aftermarket company must have produced them for other cars. They work far better than the more common dual stream sprayer. Thanks for the lead. I'll see if they can be adapted. But I"m still wondering if anyone else has already tackled this issue?

Old 10-09-2011, 11:27 AM
george schilling
Neutral
Originally Posted by ACEkraut11
There are other threads that cover this topic that may have a definitive answer on a vehicle that has a nozzle that will fit on the MINI.
Thank you. I'll check it out.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:29 AM
george schilling
Neutral
Originally Posted by klricks
That's what I'm looking for.......a fan spray nozzle. I've done an internet search but have come up empty for anything that fits a mini.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:52 PM
dhoosee
3rd Gear
I'm looking for the same thing too, George! I like a clean windshield, and the factory "dual squirts" are horrible! My Wife's Volvo C30 has the fan spray style, but I have yet to find any aftermarket. We'll keep an eye out for 'em.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:21 AM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
my 1997 gmc sonoma has the fan spray nozzles... they are far superior to the mini nozzles

scott

Old 03-17-2013, 06:19 AM
dhoosee
3rd Gear
Agreed, Scott! That's what George and I are looking for. Maybe I'll get a pair from the junkyard, and retro-fit them with some glue. Sure better than what we all have now!

Old 03-17-2013, 05:44 PM
george schilling
Neutral
My GM truck has a nice system. Two sprayers on each wiper stalk that spray directly on the windshield wherever the wiper goes. Very efficient. And it's a GM product! Imagine that! GM can do something right!

Old 03-17-2013, 06:03 PM
IzzyG
6th Gear
My Range Rover Evoque has a pretty sweet system- light fan mist but also oscillates and covers the whole windshield while still staying within the wiper arm's reach. Sometimes I hold onto the stalk to lengthen the spray time just to watch it oscillate 0.o

Old 03-23-2013, 05:06 AM
Psquared
2nd Gear
How do you adjust the stock ones?

Old 03-23-2013, 05:43 AM
XxThalakosxX
2nd Gear
Some tinkering and frankensteining might get you what you want. Start with stock ones here:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2002-C...Hood/ES170302/
Then find the type of spray you want from a different car like the Jeep Compass. The nozzle internal is what determines your spray. You could even just remove the nozzle end and try to flatten it. For $11 a piece it's fairly cheap to toy with.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:37 AM
dhoosee
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Psquared
How do you adjust the stock ones?
Insert a straight pin or thin paperclip into each hole and move it. Caution..a tiny move changes the stream direction/angle quite a bit. Be prepared to use a good amount of washer solvent to get the aim right!

Old 03-23-2013, 01:20 PM
george schilling
Neutral
Originally Posted by XxThalakosxX
Some tinkering and frankensteining might get you what you want. Start with stock ones here:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2002-C...Hood/ES170302/
Then find the type of spray you want from a different car like the Jeep Compass. The nozzle internal is what determines your spray. You could even just remove the nozzle end and try to flatten it. For $11 a piece it's fairly cheap to toy with.
Good idea. Just need to find the time.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:57 AM
Psquared
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dhoosee
Insert a straight pin or thin paperclip into each hole and move it. Caution..a tiny move changes the stream direction/angle quite a bit. Be prepared to use a good amount of washer solvent to get the aim right!
Great! Thank You!
I didn't want to go messing around with them and screw them up, so I figured I'd ask someone first. I have the heated nozzles, and don't want to find out how much they cost the hard way!

Old 03-24-2013, 06:50 AM
dhoosee
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Psquared
Great! Thank You!
I didn't want to go messing around with them and screw them up, so I figured I'd ask someone first. I have the heated nozzles, and don't want to find out how much they cost the hard way!
No Problem Psquared! My nozzles are heated (cold weather pkg) and I've had no problems. A small straigt pin would probably be better to use than the straightened paper clip...not as obtrusive? I've only adjusted mine once and have found a pretty good position for getting the spray correct in relation to the wipers. Oh, but to have a fan spray nozzle though......

Old 03-24-2013, 07:55 AM
XxThalakosxX
2nd Gear
Old 03-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Nealuss
3rd Gear
Parts stores have universal nozzles that have a fan spray pattern. they have a fitting that points straight down and a plastic nut to secure them so they will fit most anything. Only question is whether or not you can adapt them to fit under the hood of the mini and can you adapt the hose connection (never really looked at mine)

Here's one at Autozone http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=525520_0_0_

If anyone decides to be the guinea pig please let us know the end result. I have hated the nozzles on this car from day one but I have just put up with it so far. Most cars/trucks in the world have washer nozzles that spray in a fan pattern. Mini and BMW are the weird ones.