General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Jersey Police Get MINI Cooper As New Patrol Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 08:18 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Jersey Police Get MINI Cooper As New Patrol Car

This is for the local police force where BMW/MINI of North America's headquarters in Woodcliff Lake, NJ is located. I live nearby so I will be keeping a look-out for this car.

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...new-patrol-car

We’ve seen plenty of special police cars in the past, including a Lamborghini Gallardo, Porsche 911 and even an impounded Dodge Viper, but the latest is just too cute to ignore. BMW has this week presented the Woodcliff Lake police department in New Jersey with a brand new MINI Cooper.

The car is emblazoned with the message ‘DON’T TXT & DRIVE’, highlighting a local initiative to stop drivers using their mobile phones while behind the wheel.

“This vehicle drives home a critical point,” said Woodcliff Lake police chief Anthony Jannicelli. “A driver taking his eyes off the road for five seconds at 60 mph to just read a text message travels the length of football field essentially with his eyes closed.”

No other major modifications have been made to the car. It will essentially be used to drive home the message, carrying it wherever it goes and acting as a powerful reminder of what is certainly a serious issue.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:51 PM
Gizmo
6th Gear
This is only another distraction to drivers...don't text and drive but you should still look at the side of another car while driving.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:56 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
People who text and drive should get to choose between a ticket and a roadside baton session. Just my opinion.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:19 AM
Gizmo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
People who text and drive should get to choose between a ticket and a roadside baton session. Just my opinion.

Agreed!

The MINI should have "Say hello to my little friend..." with a picture of a baton below that on the boot