General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A basic guide to Spark Plugs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 09:04 PM
DaveKennedy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok so I have an '09 MC, is my best bet to just replace the plugs with the replacement plugs or is there a plug that would be better? A part number would be cool if anyone has one too.
DK

Old 04-09-2013, 12:40 PM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Howdy,

I wanted to comment briefly on some advice that's being thrown around in these spark plug threads. As a disclaimer, this is not directed at any one member, nor is it an attempt at initiating a "pissing contest". I know this isn't an introduction thread, but I've been lurking here for literally a few years, but just recently bought a MINI. Before that, I built, modified and tuned maybe 8 or so forced induction cars over the past 14 years, primarily SR20DET applications, but some rotary, some V8, Subaru, FSDE, etc.

Bear with me here, as I'm going to focus primarily on modified engines. It seems that most folks here are running about 50% more boost over stock, have exhaust systems, as well as an intake of sorts. Fun stuff. If you happen to be stock or mostly stock (IE just a catback, or just an intake) feel free to ignore all of this. We're talking more to everyone that have increased their boost:

1) Plug material: You should be running a Copper plug. They're more conductive and have larger electrodes, which lends itself to a stronger spark. If you can do all these power mods, you can make time to change plugs every 10k miles. The benefit is very real.

2) Heat ranges: There is no set "if you run X amount of boost, you should run a colder or hotter plug. While this does play a significant role, you really need to consider your driving style, or more accurately, what type of driving style your environment permits. If you have all these modifications but rarely if ever get to open up the throttle, there's a chance that you'll be fouling spark plugs if using a colder range. Because they run cooler, there's a higher likelihood of carbon build-up, thus reducing spark power and efficiency.

3) Factory gaps: You should always check them. Always. In the 14 or so years I've been playing around with cars, I've experienced multiple instances where gaps on new plugs were out-of-spec. A feeler gauge is maybe $5. Use it.

4) Gapping: I've seen a lot of people here saying "open up your gap if you're running more boost". That's wrong, and actually the opposite of what should happen. There's a direct relationship between spark plug gap to tip temperature and the voltage required to effectively ignite the Air/Fuel mixture. By increasing the gap, you're increasing the need for higher voltage to maintain the same quality of spark, for lack of better terms. You're inviting spark blow-out, spark quenching, and misfiring. If you have an aftermarket ignition, OK, great. By all means maintain OEM gap or open it a bit. Otherwise, you should be closing the gap for increased boost applications.

So let's put all the hypotheticals together: If you're running increased boost (more air moving faster), let's say...an off-the-shelf tune or maybe bigger injectors (fuel enrichment making the the mixture denser and gas laden), a colder plug of a less conductive metal (dissipates heat more effectively but can increase carbon build-up and reduced efficiency), AND you're running a bigger gap (requires higher voltage and more likely to experience combustion quenching or blow-out). It's really not a super recipe...at all.

Last edited by TheBigChill; 04-09-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Added small intro :0)
The following 2 users liked this post by TheBigChill:
cjv2 (12-24-2017), haygood (09-11-2022)
Old 05-25-2013, 02:32 PM
Mini Manchester
1st Gear
Thanks for this information. May have saved my warrantee!

Old 05-26-2013, 01:24 AM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Edit: Moved to r53, as my question is specific to that. Also I didn't realize this was a sticky that I replied to.

Last edited by AlexQS; 05-26-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:45 PM
atraain
2nd Gear
i have an 04 R53 and every time i do an online search for some plugs (BKR6EQUP) i get platinum tips, can i not install iridium? I just want the right plugs. Help.

ONLY HORSEPOWER GAIN i have is a K&N typhoon CAI which plugs are best for me?

Daily driver, may race a honda once in a while at a red light

Old 06-02-2013, 09:47 PM
princeofwaldo
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BoostCzaR53
I must disagree with not using anti seize on spark plug threads, you have obviously never done a tune up on any Ford Modular v8 3 or 4 valve or even some 2v heads. Not using anti seize causes the jackets around the porcelain to seize up in the threads of the aluminum heads and they break in half when attempting to remove. Now a head job is in line. I am an ASE certified technician and do tune ups on all America's vehicles daily and have also owned MANY forced induction cars and built many and I would HIGHLY suggest using it. Dont use it in heavy amounts just a brisk dot will work and only every other tune up I would suggest, or dont and go ahead and crack those plugs loose after first tune up 20-60k miles later and see if they dont screech, pull threads, and so forth.

Not bashing you, just I have a lot of experience with spark plug removal issues in the Ford world which also have aluminum heads, and require head jobs frequently because the plugs arent anti-seized. This is AFTER a MANDATORY 24hr cool down period before pulling.

On the other note, does anyone have a gap spec for 02 MCS if going to use a simple single ground strap BKR6E or 7E? I dont see the necessity nor believe in running platinum or iridium plugs in forced induction cars? NGK BKR6E and BKR7E are dirt cheap (1.49-1.89 a piece) and SUPER abundant! Highly popular plug in the Japanese import world when talking forced induction, and I can replace them 3-5 times for the same price as 1 tune up with iridiums.
Inclined to agree on the anti-seize advice. Having the engine sputter a bit with a loose plug seems like a less catastrophic failure than having a destroyed head from seized threads.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Royalenf
Neutral

I'm a newbie and not use to your web site. I just signed up to check if anyone is going to Mini Meets West in Bend Or. It starts June 17th and ends the 21st. I live in Eastern WA and I'm driving my 74 Mini to Bend on the 17th. If anyone else is driving from Eastern WA It would be nice to all hookup and drive down together. You never know what will happen with these old Mini's. I could meet somewhere along 84. Let me know if you can do this ASAP.
Thanks
Sorry I interrupted your post for this subject, but I didn't know how to contact other Mini owners in WA, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:03 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
Curious if anyone has any recommendations on coils/ wires besides oem. Looking to do spark plugs soon and guessing it would be a good idea to replace them as well.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:20 PM
atraain
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Wires nrfitchett4
Curious if anyone has any recommendations on coils/ wires besides oem. Looking to do spark plugs soon and guessing it would be a good idea to replace them as well.
I just changed my coil /plugs/wires

Coil: MSD
Plugs: NGK SI
Wires: kingdborne red 8mm

Old 07-19-2013, 11:14 AM
FUEGO
4th Gear
FYI - the NGK BKR6EQUP and BKR7EQUP are no longer Iridium tipped. They are now "Laser Platinum" If sticking with an Iridium tip is a necessity you'll need to move to the BKR6EIX and BKR7EIX plugs.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:11 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by atraain
I just changed my coil /plugs/wires

Coil: MSD
Plugs: NGK SI
Wires: kingdborne red 8mm
cool, thanks. I'll start googling.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:36 AM
gestero
2nd Gear
Just a FYI regarding "Anti Seize Compound" the "NGK Site" clearly states DO NOT use "Anti Seize Compound" on their Spark Plugs. "NGK Spark Plugs" are manufactured with a metal coating on the threads that prevents seizing.

The following users liked this post:
haygood (09-11-2022)
Old 08-31-2013, 10:02 AM
john171
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4
cool, thanks. I'll start googling.
FYI, the parts atraain mentioned/listed are all for 1st gen MINIs and you have an 07 R56 MCS, a 2nd Gen.
Just sayin'
Now these would fit, your MINI , don't know about you budget though!
http://new.minimania.com/part/G2NME3...6-57-COOPER--S

Last edited by john171; 08-31-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:28 AM
briggswill
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gestero
Just a FYI regarding "Anti Seize Compound" the "NGK Site" clearly states DO NOT use "Anti Seize Compound" on their Spark Plugs. "NGK Spark Plugs" are manufactured with a metal coating on the threads that prevents seizing.
Just ran across this fact in another thread online and immediately came this forum to seek confirmation. Thanks! Had anti seize compound in hand yesterday at auto parts store, but left without it since the customer service was taking forever. Thankful for the delay in my spark plug swap. New NGK's going in today without anti seize.

briggswill

The following users liked this post:
cjv2 (12-24-2017)
Old 09-01-2013, 05:44 AM
briggswill
1st Gear
The following 2 users liked this post by briggswill:
cjv2 (12-24-2017), haygood (09-11-2022)
Old 09-09-2013, 09:54 AM
wmsky33
Neutral
I read the article. Interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks. However, the article states "Metal shell plating acts as a “lubricant” which breaks away from the main body of the spark plug during removal." That seems to say that after removal, the metal shell plating, and thus the anti-seize properties, are gone. What do you do if you want to take your plugs out to check them before their life is up? Buy new plugs everytime? Diagnosing engine issues by looking at the plugs is not an uncommon practice. I guess you could use one set of plugs for diagnosis, since they won't be in the heads long enough to worry about seizing and, once you're finished with the diagnosis, install a new set of plugs.

Personally, I use anti-seize on all my plugs and I don't worry about it since I don't use a torque wrench to install my plugs. I know, heresy, but I've been changing plugs in all my cars and my family's cars, from air-cooled VWs to Chevy V-8s, for over 40 years, and except for the instance about 40 years ago that started me using a lubricant when I change plugs (that's another story ), I've never had any problems at all with my plugs.

I do recommend the use of a "thread-chaser" such as this http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...14924|L2*15043 to clean the threads in the head before installing your plugs though. I usually put a little bit of anti-seize in the grooves to catch the carbon that it cleans out of the threads and lubricate the threads at the same time, but you can also use grease if you want to avoid anti-seize, or just avoid lubricant altogether and let the little bits of carbon fall down into the cylinder. They're too small to hurt anything

Old 09-09-2013, 05:32 PM
briggswill
1st Gear
Absolutely. The article only applies to initial plug installation. You are correct sir. It was helpful as I was installing new plugs. I agree the use of anti-seize would be appropriate for subsequent removal for diagnosis. Thanks for completing the thought and clarifying for future researchers. Well done.

briggswill

Old 10-06-2013, 09:53 PM
sandplasma
2nd Gear
Thanks for the info, I just purchased a set of NGK V Power Coppers because my car has been slow to start and my service engine soon light comes on often due to cylinder 3 misfire. Hoping this fixes some of the issues!

Old 10-07-2013, 01:29 AM
cavalera
1st Gear
[QUOTE=czar;3098202]Ok guys, I see the same questions asked over and over about spark plug selection and fitment, so I hope this information below helps.

you then need to place a flat Copper washer of a specific thickness of your choice directly onto the spark plug shoulder, then screw the sealing gasket back onto the spark plug, once you then install and correctly torque down your spark plug you will get an indication as to the general direction of the ground electrode in relation to your inlet valve/s, you may need to do this many times using + or - to your first installed washer thickness to get the ground electrode in the correct orientation to the inlet valve/s

Hi i try to inmagine but i jus dont seem to get it...are you saying i should wrap a flat piece or maybe a sheet of copper around the plugs thread and screw it??? i am sorry if im wrong...

Old 10-07-2013, 05:43 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sandplasma
Thanks for the info, I just purchased a set of NGK V Power Coppers because my car has been slow to start and my service engine soon light comes on often due to cylinder 3 misfire. Hoping this fixes some of the issues!
I would look at other things before assuming that spark plugs are causing a hard-start scenario. It never hurts to add new plugs, but misfire + hard-start indicates fuel delivery issues to me.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:48 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
[QUOTE=cavalera;3821549]
Originally Posted by czar
Ok guys, I see the same questions asked over and over about spark plug selection and fitment, so I hope this information below helps.

you then need to place a flat Copper washer of a specific thickness of your choice directly onto the spark plug shoulder, then screw the sealing gasket back onto the spark plug, once you then install and correctly torque down your spark plug you will get an indication as to the general direction of the ground electrode in relation to your inlet valve/s, you may need to do this many times using + or - to your first installed washer thickness to get the ground electrode in the correct orientation to the inlet valve/s

Hi i try to inmagine but i jus dont seem to get it...are you saying i should wrap a flat piece or maybe a sheet of copper around the plugs thread and screw it??? i am sorry if im wrong...

He's trying to tell you how to "index" your plugs. Plenty of info on indexing on the internet, but, it's really a time consuming process with very little gain or benefit. http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...n.asp#indexing

Old 10-07-2013, 07:55 AM
sandplasma
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigChill
I would look at other things before assuming that spark plugs are causing a hard-start scenario. It never hurts to add new plugs, but misfire + hard-start indicates fuel delivery issues to me.
Seems to only hard start the 1st time, great with any subsequent starts. Changing the plugs is my 1st try, hopefully it fixes it but if it doesn't ill check other things. Thanks!

Old 10-07-2013, 08:03 PM
sandplasma
2nd Gear
I replaced the spark plugs with the Vpower copper. The car starts a lot faster and better but I do hear considerably more popping on the muffler. (backfires?) and lo and behold, the service engine light came on.

I did not gap the plugs as I assumed they were already gapped to spec. I uncovered the cyl 3 spark plug wire and noticed some rust so I cleaned it up. . .

I haven't had a chance to check codes again. May go back to my old stockers :(

Old 10-08-2013, 11:36 AM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sandplasma
I replaced the spark plugs with the Vpower copper. The car starts a lot faster and better but I do hear considerably more popping on the muffler. (backfires?) and lo and behold, the service engine light came on.

I did not gap the plugs as I assumed they were already gapped to spec. I uncovered the cyl 3 spark plug wire and noticed some rust so I cleaned it up. . .

I haven't had a chance to check codes again. May go back to my old stockers :(
You mentioned cylinder #3 misfires. Sounds like the common problem with the coil pack. Remove each wire and clean the terminal with a brass brush or some carb spray cleaner sprayed onto a shop rag. Put some diaelectric grease on the terminals afterward. Just periodically check them and you should be fine.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:41 PM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
If you had issues before the plugs, and then after the plugs....needless to say, plugs aren't your issue. Pull them, gap them, use them.

With that said, next time you buy plugs, gap them first. Never depend on factory gapping, ever. As JJF said above, give coil terminal cleaning a shot, and you can also see if wires are bad by swapping them around to different cylinders. If the misfire follows your move, you may have a bad wire. Unlikely but possible.

Quick Reply: A basic guide to Spark Plugs.