R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 2011 Mini Crossover Countryman Photos

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Carve906
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carsncars
I think it's a great addition to the brand. I was unsure when it was first rumoured, but now the production version is out of the bag--in my opinion at least, it retains (stylistically, hopefully dynamically as well) the MINI DNA without diluting it too much. I'm confident it'll live up to the MINI name as a best-in-class handler, too.

I don't get why people complain about it. I think the design is well executed, and I don't think BMW's dumb enough to botch up the handling. Plus, if it's not your cup of tea, it's not like MINI's going to stop selling the other models. In fact, this model (if it turns out to be a success), means MINI is more likely to be able to keep producing the other models (product diversity!) and niche models like the coupe and roadster.
My thoughts exactly!

Old 01-20-2010, 08:36 PM
07 CLASSIC
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by hardingsan

I think it's going to grow on some people , some might hate from day one, some will buy it for a specific purpose, and some will buy it just to be different.
I kind of like it except for that center gauge that after whatching cartoons with my daughter it just looks like MICKEY MOUSE

Old 01-20-2010, 09:41 PM
Project Mangler
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JenK
... or should I wait for the bigger and better MINI Countryman???
Hey, this is a Mini forum, we don't use the term "bigger and better" here!

If you're going to be using the back seat a lot, I'd wait for the Countryman. The Clubman back seat isn't bad, but shoveling kids in and out of it on a daily basis would get old for me.

If you're waiting for AWD for better traction in the snow, a Clubman with snow tires will probably handle snow better than AWD with all-seasons, costs thousands less, and it's available now.

If you're all about the great handling, the Countryman is significantly taller and longer than other Minis, and that has to affect how they handle. No matter what BMW marketing says,their engineers can't break the laws of physics.

So it all comes down to what's important to you.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:05 AM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't see LED taillights! I thought this was the big thing with all the current manufacturers.... lol.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:14 AM
J_'09s
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that is a kite surfing rig in the back of that Countryman. This thing is COOL!!!

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/mini-countryman/

Here's a link to Autoblog's gallery of pictures on the Countryman.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:18 AM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
Wow. I was really looking forward to this after the initial concept photos I saw in the past. Now having seen this official pics I'm disappointed. This is the first Mini that I think they botched the design on. It's not horrible, but not good either. Now I definitely won't be tempted to trade in my Clubman anytime soon. Of course I'm tempted to buy a Cabrio, Cooper and a Roadster to add to my Clubman, so if you want to send me a check send me a PM. :D

Old 01-21-2010, 02:19 AM
djmcgill
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JustinGTP
is 4 doors and AWD true to MINI?
YES! - In that MINI is maintaining the recent design trend.
They are expanding the line into areas that may appeal to a broader consumer base. Diversification of the product line can be good for MINI.
The availability of all wheel drive and the "Go-cart" driving characteristics combined together will make for a unique driving experience. The flexibility afforded by having four real doors and movable rear seats will appeal to those who would like the MINI experience, but need more space for rear passengers.
If the Countryman was available when I ordered the "Ghost", I would have probably ordered one. An AWD MINI would permit me to drive in almost any kind of weather I experience here in New Jersey.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:32 AM
JenK
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Project Mangler
Hey, this is a Mini forum, we don't use the term "bigger and better" here!

If you're going to be using the back seat a lot, I'd wait for the Countryman. The Clubman back seat isn't bad, but shoveling kids in and out of it on a daily basis would get old for me.

If you're waiting for AWD for better traction in the snow, a Clubman with snow tires will probably handle snow better than AWD with all-seasons, costs thousands less, and it's available now.

If you're all about the great handling, the Countryman is significantly taller and longer than other Minis, and that has to affect how they handle. No matter what BMW marketing says,their engineers can't break the laws of physics.

So it all comes down to what's important to you.
I did not mean 'to say bigger and better'. Sorry! I am looking to downsize from my big SUV to a fun vehicle that can haul things and my 2 Bernese mountain dogs. I am totally sold on the clubman, but it does appear the Countryman might be a better choice for me. But, I might just wait and see. Anyone know or can speculate if they going to be available soon??? I am not going to ask the dealer because he wants to sell me that really nice Clubman!

Old 01-21-2010, 05:00 AM
cooperjet
2nd Gear
I believe I read somewhere that they were going to be available in the US in the fall. My guess is late fall as my MA at the local dealer said they would probably have one January 2011, but that was last week.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:17 AM
ClubmanS-REX
1st Gear
I have to admit I like the Countryman but until I see how much this baby will cost I will stick with my Clubbie. AWD is always a plus for me in the North East. Can't wait to see the JCW version.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:15 AM
throughthedoors
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS-REX
AWD is always a plus for me in the North East.
Gotta hand it to marketers for perpetuating the myth that AWD = snow traction. AWD helps you go, but not turn or stop. For that you need dedicated snow tires. My mini w/ snowshoes is better in the snow than any car I've ever driven outfitted with AWD and all-seasons.

So if you're going to get this car at all (yuck) get it for the increased interior volume, not inclement weather safety.

Also - I read this on some other thread so I can't take credit - that front grille looks like a '70s **** moustache!

Old 01-21-2010, 08:11 AM
sstevens805
Neutral
I actually really like it. The front shot of the white Countryman with Black wheels looks like a Cayenne to me. (Flame Suit on) I think it looks better than the Clubman, but thats just me. I could see this being a hit at this coming years SEMA/

Old 01-21-2010, 08:50 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well, so much for being able to sleep in the back. Why buckets? Seems a bench could fold flat, and I could fit a large flight case in the back.

otherwise, much nicer than the concept photos. CNN also reported on it today.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/....html?hpt=Sbin

Also, this site reports that a 3-seat bench will be available as an option:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11001202...hotos-released

Last edited by sequence; 01-21-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:22 AM
BMW13
2nd Gear
The official press release says it will go on sale in March 2011 in the US. Having come from an X5 and then 2 X3's bought the 2010 Clubman S because it was a BMW product and we wanted much better gas mileage with some utility that the Clubman gives. My biggest issue with the Clubman is the width of the storage compartment and length if you need to go to Lowe's or Home Depot for wood as an example. I also want 4 wheel drive for the heavy rain we get in S.C. and a little more ground clearance. I can't believe all the stone chips on our window due to how low the Clubman rides. The new Countryman answers every issue we had and we will definitely be buying one assuming the gas mileage is close to the Clubman S. Supposedly the new engines get better gas mileage but obviously the extra weight and all wheel drive will cancel out any advantage.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:59 AM
ApproachingZero
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BMW13
The official press release says it will go on sale in March 2011 in the US. Having come from an X5 and then 2 X3's bought the 2010 Clubman S because it was a BMW product and we wanted much better gas mileage with some utility that the Clubman gives. My biggest issue with the Clubman is the width of the storage compartment and length if you need to go to Lowe's or Home Depot for wood as an example. I also want 4 wheel drive for the heavy rain we get in S.C. and a little more ground clearance. I can't believe all the stone chips on our window due to how low the Clubman rides. The new Countryman answers every issue we had and we will definitely be buying one assuming the gas mileage is close to the Clubman S. Supposedly the new engines get better gas mileage but obviously the extra weight and all wheel drive will cancel out any advantage.
I agree with you 100%.

I can’t wait for the release, and already have plans for buying one. After nearly one year of ownership I have learned a couple things:

1. I need a little more room… SUV room
2. I miss AWD… Yes, I know snow tires are better than all season ones, but mine is really for the rain down here. We have gotten so much of it this year and it has even flooded a couple times. I'm not going to keep changing summer tires with rain tires each time it gets cloudy. The added ground clearance will help as well.
3. I love cars that get good gas mileage… The Mini has jaded me from purchasing an X3 or Q5 b/c I don’t want crappy gas mileage. My 335i is bad enough….

Also, I plan to now get the options that I went without thinking that I did not need them when I bought the 09. They include: nav, heated seats, xeons.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Pathy01
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by throughthedoors
Gotta hand it to marketers for perpetuating the myth that AWD = snow traction. AWD helps you go, but not turn or stop. For that you need dedicated snow tires. My mini w/ snowshoes is better in the snow than any car I've ever driven outfitted with AWD and all-seasons.
I gotta hand it to all the anti-AWDers out there for perpetuating the myth that snow tires can't be put on an AWD vehicle to give even better traction than an anti-AWDer's front wheel (or rear wheel) driver with snow tires.

And since we're giving opinions, I feel that AWD does provide an advantage in turning due to the fact that torque is distributed to both front and rear, so the front tires trying to provide steering aren't tasked with providing 100% of the forward traction at the same time.

This is all based on my own personal experience and may not equate to anyone else's unique situation. I've had just about every combination of fwd,rwd,awd and summer tires, all seasons, dedicated winter tires over the last 10 years in the northeast and the best to me is clearly awd and winter tires followed by in order: awd/all-season,fwd/winter,rwd/winter,fwd/all-season,rwd/all-season,and anything with summer tires in winter conditions is a no-win proposition.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:53 AM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by djmcgill
YES! - In that MINI is maintaining the recent design trend.
They are expanding the line into areas that may appeal to a broader consumer base. Diversification of the product line can be good for MINI.
The availability of all wheel drive and the "Go-cart" driving characteristics combined together will make for a unique driving experience. The flexibility afforded by having four real doors and movable rear seats will appeal to those who would like the MINI experience, but need more space for rear passengers.
If the Countryman was available when I ordered the "Ghost", I would have probably ordered one. An AWD MINI would permit me to drive in almost any kind of weather I experience here in New Jersey.
No, in that it isn't maintaining the design of a Mini. The design is OFF. For starters the curves are too square and not rounded enough. Then those back tailights! Ugh. The front of the bonnet is too high and on that white one the bonnet doesn't even look Mini. The boot hatch isn't even like the concept. Oh, and that side turn signal!!! On the white version!!!!! That black white combo looks just awful.

I'm completely open to the idea of a Mini SUV. In fact while it was being bashed on NAM as a concept I stood up for it. They missed a real opportunity with the design here though. It's not horrible, but it looks the bastard child of what the male Countryman should like like and a 1st gen (or maybe it was 2nd gen) Rav 4 floozy. Every other Mini I've model to date is true to the design, but this one is off. It's not way off, but it's off enough.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:06 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I like the idea, and somehow the more I look at it, the more I like it. It would be a perfect winter runner for me with the extra ground clearance and AWD.

I do like how they got rid of the barn doors, but with the license plate on the bumper it somehow makes the rear look kinda bland in comparison to a coupe. Kinda wish they would have stuck w/ the look of the coupe in the rear. Who knows though - the current setup might look good in person.

I don't really like the frowning grille, though. It makes the vehicle have a 'look' like it is disgusted at something... lol

Old 01-21-2010, 12:09 PM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
I keep looking at the pics and the green one doesn't look so bad. Still a bit off. I'll need to see it with proper rims and not those rims (which are similar to the Camden's, but not as good).

Old 01-21-2010, 01:22 PM
ApproachingZero
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Pathy01
I gotta hand it to all the anti-AWDers out there for perpetuating the myth that snow tires can't be put on an AWD vehicle to give even better traction than an anti-AWDer's front wheel (or rear wheel) driver with snow tires.

And since we're giving opinions, I feel that AWD does provide an advantage in turning due to the fact that torque is distributed to both front and rear, so the front tires trying to provide steering aren't tasked with providing 100% of the forward traction at the same time.

This is all based on my own personal experience and may not equate to anyone else's unique situation. I've had just about every combination of fwd,rwd,awd and summer tires, all seasons, dedicated winter tires over the last 10 years in the northeast and the best to me is clearly awd and winter tires followed by in order: awd/all-season,fwd/winter,rwd/winter,fwd/all-season,rwd/all-season,and anything with summer tires in winter conditions is a no-win proposition.
When I lived in Michigan I had a short time with my mom's chevy tracker during their move to Florida. At the time I was driving a Acura Integra GSR with winter tires. When it initially snowed or was snowing the Acura stayed parked. The AWD was just better IMO. Of course this is subjective, and they are both completely different vehicles (tracker being low end, Acura was very top end), but I just had more confidence in the Tracker... Even though I hated driving it.. The tracker was also equipped with all season junk tires.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:57 PM
minirooferS
4th Gear
I cant believe I actually kinda like it.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:13 PM
JenK
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BMW13
+1 !! Agree as well. I have not ordered the Clubman yet, but I really feel like I need to wait to see this. Rock chips are so common to low to the ground cars. The dealer I am looking at has already quoted the clear bra, etc. I have it on my Porsche and will probably get it on the Clubman. Now, as typical 1 year anything BMW's, I probably want to wait for that as well to get the bugs worked out. But, that clubman is so cute and my big SUV is not!!!

Old 01-21-2010, 04:16 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sure not for me, but here are the MINI Countryman Technical Specifications ....

No need for AWD in Florida, but I can remember when we could drive on the beach.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:24 PM
ralphie
1st Gear
Not a bad effort. Not as well rounded as the original mini design language though (non round headlights and quite odd rear window to roof area). Larger, longer, heavier, 4 doors and 4wd.

BUT to consider these issues would be to miss the point for the audience that the vehicle is considering:

non-MINI customers that want the mini look and mini interior. Original mini customers will persue the clean lines and pure mini look and will go for the cooper with its 2 doors and fwd. 'Newer' customers who are looking for the alternate design to the norm will prefer this car. Note that there are no decals of any sort (bonnet, side, mirrors, scuttles, roof) on these preview pictures so it doesn't at first glance target that mini market.

It effective broadens the mini customer base. Although i do wonder why the clubman with the arrival of this.

Can anyone confirm the size of this car? it doesn't look as big as a SUV considering the size relative to the people in the pictures - more golf size or the like.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:26 PM
ralphie
1st Gear
Does anyone know why you would 'tilt' the rear countryman seats at 20, 40, 80 degrees as opposed to upright or flat?

Quick Reply: R60 2011 Mini Crossover Countryman Photos