General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First Accident

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 04:54 PM
ENEMINI
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My First Accident

Well, after 50,000+ miles with no incidents what-so-ever, I get rear ended on the PCH, Friday July 3. I was out and about looking at some beaches for when my fiance is going to be in town, found a few good ones and decided to head home. My Mini really needed a good wash too so I was preparing the mental list of activities to ensue once I got home. Zaino sytem about to be deployed, troops amassed, garage space prepared for interior detailing. Right.....

Heading southbound PCH approaching Malibu Canyon, traffic in front of me slowed and came to a halt at John Tyler. I glance up in my rear view to see (and hear) the chirping of the tires as a 2003 Nissan Pathfinder crashed into my backside. Ouch. Luckily though I'm alright (physically) and the other driver is too. We proceed to pull to the soft shoulder and exchange information. Sadly I already can tell my bumper is finished and my tailgate could be repaired but I'd prefer it to be replaced all together. All I can say about the other driver....."GOT CELLPHONE?"

Got home, popped a beer (or 4 ) and began the insurance phone calling awesomeness fun times. In the middle of the phone call with my insurance company just informing them what happened, her insurance company phoned up and accepted 100% responsibility for the accident. WHEW!!!! Got an appointment that same day to visit a bodyshop in Canoga Park (Class n Color, heard of it?) to have it estimated for today.

Well wouldn't you know today rolls around and I am afflicted with a massive case of swimmer's ear and I can barely open my mouth the pain is so bad. I miss my appointment. Phoned insurance peeps they reschedule without fail. I gotta say, I'm impressed.

Lets hope the repairs go swiftly and my Mini is restored to the full body condition I have so meticulously cared for, for over 2 years already!

Cheers,
Frank (emotionally Mini hurt)

Attached Thumbnails My First Accident-img_0729.jpg   My First Accident-img_0731.jpg   My First Accident-img_0740.jpg  
Old 07-14-2009, 05:36 PM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, glad you're okay! Sorry to hear about it, but it sounds like the assailant is owning up properly, and your car looks repairable. Sweet.

Love the band aids, by the way!!

Old 07-14-2009, 07:11 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
Glad you're OK. Did your airbags deploy? Sounds like your car will be good as new soon.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:54 PM
mini_macky
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glad nothing happened to you. hope your Mini gets fixed ASAP

i would've suggested to the owner of the pathfinder to trade in her Pathfinder for a smaller & fuel-friendly car so she'd have enough change to get a bluetooth headset

Old 07-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Steveski
3rd Gear
Frank,

Good to hear that you're ok , sad to hear about the MINI.

Similar story happend to me a short while ago, but with more damage. Your MINI will pull through ok, mine did. The hardest part is getting over the fact that she's now "damaged goods" , but it does get easier with time.

Hope the repairs are quality as well as speedy.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:38 PM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
God I hate Nissan Pathfinders... that's how I got into my first accident, being t-boned. And I almost got hit by another 2 since then. Me and pathfinders don't mix.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:30 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Sorry to hear about your accident. Good luck with a speedy and complete recovery.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
Funny how many MINIs seem to get rear-ended on this forum. I guess the ones that cause accidents might not want to advertise the fact that they're at fault over the internet. The only good thing about being rear-ended is that it's 100% the other guy's fault and their insurance company knows it. When it happened to me the other guy's insurance company couldn't do enough to take care of me. It was kind of worth not having my MINI for a few days while Progressive gave me a nice loaner, had some of the other dings re-painted at the body shop and gave me a free bottle of touch-up paint. Not to mention the "pain and suffering" payoff.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry about your MINI. Glad you are OK. Did she have a cel phone in hand? That is now illegal in California.

Anyway, I feel your pain.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:06 AM
bluemeanie357
4th Gear
Glad you're alright. Looks like it's all bumper and internal. Make sure you get depreciation reimbursement for the damages if Cali allows that.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:06 AM
cLuTcH
2nd Gear
Please put NSFW in the thread title before posting such pictures. Heres hoping for no lasting damage.