MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > MINIs in General > General MINI Talk
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Neutral

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Buying a used MINI - help

new member here. i need help, i am considering buying my first mini-cooper this week. but, i am unsure if i should save money and get an older car, with higher miles.

are minis reliable over all?
what major/minor issues, can i expect when buying a 2004/2005 cooper.
also, the cars ive seen have on avg 60,000 to 80,000 milesClick the image to open in full size.?

any advice would be appreciated... thank you Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:32 AM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Gallery
04 with 95k here and it has been prettty solid. No unexpected repairs to date. Just did my clutch preemptively, but it probably had at least another 10k on it.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:36 AM
3rd Gear

Gallery
A guy called in to Car Talk a few weeks ago with an 04 MCS with a noise he was trying to identify. He had 278,000 miles on it, and it was still on the original clutch.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Neutral

Gallery
thanks

what should one look for when buying a used mini?

note:
i am not mechanically inclined.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:41 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
IMHO, the 2005 & 2006 models have a better tranny than earlier models. After 2006, (the end of 1st generation), the engines and body panels are different on the 2nd generation model years. In the S model, the 1st gens are super-charged and the 2nd gens are turbo-charged; again, a different design, but both gens are pretty solid from 2005 on.

Gone, but not forgotten: Capt'n JAC: 2006 MC/R50, BRG/S, Manual, Nav, Premium, Mud Flaps - "Hold On Loosely"
Old 04-14-2009, 12:38 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
newusersid,

More info for you; the www.motoringfile.com website has many articles/reviews covering all the mini models. Here is a link to a survey you may find interesting; http://www.motoringfile.com/2008/12/...-should-i-buy/ Good luck with your research, warning, this could become an obsession!

Gone, but not forgotten: Capt'n JAC: 2006 MC/R50, BRG/S, Manual, Nav, Premium, Mud Flaps - "Hold On Loosely"
Old 04-14-2009, 12:52 PM
4th Gear

Location: United States of America, Ohio, Stark County, Uniontown
Gallery
I have an '04MCS with no major problems, 50k miles.
If I were buying today I'd buy an '05 or'06.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:42 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsoup52 View Post
IMHO, the 2005 & 2006 models have a better tranny than earlier models.
Different ratios, but not necessarily better. The spacing is wider across the first 3 gears in the later version, and all gears have lower ratios. Basically, the later transmission took 1st and 2nd way down and 3rd+ down a bit. This gives it more "usable" gearing in stop and go city traffic, but not so for high-speed/high-rev work, especially given the wider spacing between 2nd and 3rd. If you are running even a bit more than stock torque and hp, then the earlier transmission is actually a better choice as it offers closer ratios and still gives you enough off the line grunt. (If you need off the line grunt. Which personally I do not.) For the standard ~200whp modified car, I would argue the earlier transmission is the one you want.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:43 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
If you are talking Cooper 5sp then yes, the 05-06 Getrag beats the earlier Midlands hands down.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:09 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by newusersID View Post
what should one look for when buying a used mini?

note:
i am not mechanically inclined.
Here is a list of used Mini purchase questions we've collected that may help.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:11 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
There's many MINIs in your year range with lower miles on them for sale.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:19 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
2003 MCS with 63,000 miles and no major issues. When I was looking I knew I did not want a 2002. Some say even 2003 models have problems that still need working out but I guess my very late production 2003 had those addressed. I personally would steer clear of any 2002-2006 standard cooper just because of the midlands transmission. I also would not want a CVT because I have read about a lot of problems with those. However any online forum will only have the people with problems posting. If a car works then the owner won't post anything because its suppose to work and thats what is expected.

2012 JCW Hardtop
Old 04-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Neutral

Gallery
Thanks guys, great information.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:55 PM