MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > MINIs in General > General MINI Talk
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2008, 10:23 AM
2nd Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
MINI Cooper: The worst car to sleep in

So I had some time to kill between hockey games last night (I'm a score keeper) so I decided to take a nap in my 03 Mini until game time. I was planning on reclining the seat back and dozing for a while...WRONG! Turns out the seat doesn't recline past about 100 or 110 degrees. That's not nearly far back enough to sleep in. So I figured the best way to get some Zs was to contort myself in the rear passenger's seat, slide the front passenger's seat all the way up & tilted forward, and try that. While I was barely able to get comfortable, it was not fun at all. Now I'm not a tall guy (5' 8") but having to lunge my feet over the center armrest and almost resting on the steering wheel is a bit painful!

Anyone else try to sleep in their Mini comfortably (who's not a midget)? How did you do it?

So why did Mini decide not to have the seats recline back all the way? Would it have cost more money for them to do this or is this something they just forgot about?
Old 09-26-2008, 10:32 AM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to x uh oh x
Gallery
Garage
Well, WHY would anybody in their right minds want to SLEEP in a MINI when you SHOULD be DRIVING!?!?!

You could always crawl into the back seats - either up or down (although seats folded down would give you more room to do the fetal position...)

But again...no sleeping in MINIs. DRIVE MINIs....

Any connection between your reality
and mine is purely coincidental.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:34 AM
4th Gear

Gallery
I find it very comfortable to sleep in the mini and I'm around your height. Buy yourself a neck pillow. When you can rest your head in a comfortable position, the fact that you're not lying prone is a lot less noticeable.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:20 PM
AdMINIstrator

Send a message via ICQ to Edge Send a message via AIM to Edge Send a message via MSN to Edge Send a message via Yahoo to Edge Send a message via Skype™ to Edge
Gallery
No, the MINI isn't comfortable to sleep in, but at least in the front seats you can recline them somewhat. Try sleeping in a 2-seater vehicle, like the BMW Z4 Coupe loaner I earlier this year... you HAVE to stay upright! The MINI isn't a good sleeper, but it by no means the worst.
"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, SpBr, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.
License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129 H/K -> DPSM thread - 11 months, 12 days. WHEW!
Old 09-26-2008, 02:27 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
I prefer to use my MINI excusively for driving....it's pretty good at that.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:35 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
its funny, cause I sleep in the back of my MINI with my girlfriend in between classes sometime with no problem. I have a Rear seat delete though haha

Old 09-26-2008, 02:45 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
how do the GP guys/gals have it?
Old 09-26-2008, 03:39 PM
AdMINIstrator

Send a message via ICQ to Edge Send a message via AIM to Edge Send a message via MSN to Edge Send a message via Yahoo to Edge Send a message via Skype™ to Edge
Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokartride View Post
I prefer to use my MINI excusively for driving....it's pretty good at that.
I agree, but there are those times when you're in no condition to drive (too tired, maybe had a little too much to drink, etc), and you've gotta do what you've gotta do. Obviously if alcohol is the problem, the car keys need to be put well out of reach (like in the boot), or you could be charged with a DUI... even when parked!
"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, SpBr, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.
License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129 H/K -> DPSM thread - 11 months, 12 days. WHEW!
Old 09-26-2008, 04:04 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
No, the MINI isn't comfortable to sleep in, but at least in the front seats you can recline them somewhat. Try sleeping in a 2-seater vehicle, like the BMW Z4 Coupe loaner I earlier this year... you HAVE to stay upright! The MINI isn't a good sleeper, but it by no means the worst.
Truth. I had a 2 seater prior to my MINI "size upgrade."

"The Flying Cannoli" - Now with stripes!
2006 MCS PW/B
Old 09-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Gallery
Garage
I've done it a few times.

Straight up, comfy but you've got to be tiiiiired

45 degree angle, perfect for a nice day windows down nap on a lunch break

Straight back, if you don't get it just right it'll mess with your back but sleeping certainly can be done, once you're no longer distracted by that attractive passenger.

Boot- rear seat delete or drop the seats and level off the "dip" most comfortable if you throw a little padding down, angle and bend yourself into a semi fetal position and you'll have a good rest.

I'm 6'2" so there's plenty of room.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:20 PM
5th Gear

Gallery
Back in college, I drove my 1988 Toyota MR2 to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. Slept in my car for two nights in a parking garage. That was uncomfortable...

2004 MCS. PW/B. 16" Rota Slipstreams, 1 Ball Exhaust, Drilled Stock Airbox w/ K&N panel filter. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph

2000 Firehawk Convertible. Pewter, 6 speed. 12.52 @ 114.7 mph.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:45 PM
5th Gear

Gallery
So how does that review read? Straight from Narcolepsy Motor TV...
"Yeah it goes around corners fantastic and sips fuel, but it's crap to sleep in so don't buy it!"
Old 09-26-2008, 08:53 PM
5th Gear

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AZblackOUT
Gallery
fettle style in the rear seat...but have to curl in so that your back isnt resting on the seat buckles...difficult, but possible, and im 5'10"
Old 09-27-2008, 02:29 AM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LüDICRöüS View Post
how do the GP guys/gals have it?
Cam mounted on headrest, I got video, but might be rated XXX
RMW tune & cams*17% pulley*ITG filter*Brisk plugs*H-Sport Comp RSB*KMac camber plates*resonator delete*TSW studs/jack pads*H&R 5mm spacer*CT AX6 pads*Motul RBF600*RedLine*15x7 Motegi TrakLites2*Nitto NT01 205/50-15

BRG/W 2003 MINI Cooper S R.I.P. Sheila
Old 09-27-2008, 02:39 AM
4th Gear

Gallery
CLUBMAN!!!

CAN'T STOP GRINNING!!
Old 09-27-2008, 03:29 AM
Administrator

Gallery
Garage

There's plenty of room
Old 09-28-2008, 11:23 PM
5th Gear

Gallery
I had the privilege of napping in my front seat for about two weeks, first thing in the morning (6:30-7:30am) while waiting for my former coworker to show up with the keys, tools and supplies for the job. A 1 hour nap before starting work is kind of weird, especially when I had only been awake for like 45 minutes before that. It really wasn't that bad, just leaned the seat back and I was out like a light.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:10 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor On View Post

There's plenty of room
ROFLMAO! I love it! I'm saving that link for later to show my hubby...

http://randomgemini.com
Old 09-29-2008, 06:11 PM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to erickvonzipper
Gallery
I've slept on a couple of my motorcycles so the MINI is like luxo-liner.

If the front seat is pushed back as far as it will go, then the seatback will not recline as much as if you move it up some.
www.usminiclub.com Obie: my '05 MINI Cooper - Jet Black, Premium and Sport packages, chrome side vents with white/clear repeaters, M7 STPs, K&N 57i intake, Megan Racing MINI Cooper cat-back exhaust, TSW engine damper, Alta 19mm anti-sway bar, Ian Cull anti-nanny circuit.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:17 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZblackOUT View Post
fettle style in the rear seat...but have to curl in so that your back isnt resting on the seat buckles...difficult, but possible, and im 5'10"
I've done that and I am 6'2. Needless to say my parents were suprised.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:33 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor On View Post
I've done it a few times....
I'm 6'2" so there's plenty of room.
First let me say that I am 6'1" and an Olympic class sleeper.

That said I had to meet my brother at Summit Point for an SCCA race weekend. I needed to leave NJ late and rather than wake everyone there up I figured I'd get a hotel near the track. Boy was I out of touch. I stopped at at 6-8 hotels and not a room to be had. I went all the way into Charles Town with no luck. So I drove to the paddock, put both seats forward and down and tried to make the back flat enough to be comfortable.

It simply was not easy. I should have taken the blankets and slept on the ground or crawled into someone's trailer.

Needless to say I won't be doing this again. Perhaps I am just simply getting old.

Rich
Old 10-02-2008, 07:10 AM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to x uh oh x
Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
I've done that and I am 6'2. Needless to say my parents were suprised.
Surprised that you were 6'2" or that you chose to sleep in the car instead of your bed? WoW, and here I thought I was fanatical about my car! Click the image to open in full size.

Any connection between your reality
and mine is purely coincidental.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:21 AM
2nd Gear

Gallery
I used to work in the Publix Bakery and being that I'm a night owl getting up at 3:30 am for work made it so when I took lunch I went to my car and slept for an hour. . I had the same problem of leaning the seat back, you have to move the seat up and then it wil lay back farther, you toes will be in tight quarters but you lay down farther for a good nap!!! . . especialy with the sun roof open and a cool breeze coming in!

Old 10-05-2008, 07:53 PM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Gallery
I thought it was just me... On July 4th this year, my wife and I and two girls went to Charleston.

Long story short, we couldn't find a hotel to save our lives. We drove from Charleston, SC to Georgetown to Myrtle Beach to Conway and still couldn't find a hotel room. I had been up for 23 hours and was beat.

We pulled over and tried to sleep in the mini. I'm only 5'5" so I don't need as much room as the rest of you giants. (j/k) and STILL couldn't get comfortable.

The mini sucks to sleep in but as a previous poster mentioned, a neck pillow makes a world of difference.

Mark
Old 10-05-2008, 08:01 PM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Gallery
On a side note, would someone please explain what the 3rd mini commercial is about?

One person calls another until the end phone call gets answered in a phonebooth.

What am I missing?

Old 10-05-2008, 08:01 PM