General Discussion Competiting with the new MINI on track or at a SCCA Solo event.

2016 Formula 1

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 03:18 AM
sherman89
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini Mania
Sure do, used to go to many of the original Can-Ams. I was the PR Director for the second go round, when they were single seaters and Keke Rosberg, Patrick Tambay, etc. were driving. Citicorp was the sponsor.

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.
George and I were good friends and we both raced for Comstock-----he with the Shadow program and I in rally cars. I did get some time in their 908 Porsche at Mosport----what a blast that was!!!! I still remember Denny Hulme in the McLaren M8B and Mark Donahue showing up with the Porsche and blowing the door off everyone----that car killed the Can-Am series.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:44 AM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Formula 1 and Can-Am

Originally Posted by sherman89
George and I were good friends and we both raced for Comstock-----he with the Shadow program and I in rally cars. I did get some time in their 908 Porsche at Mosport----what a blast that was!!!! I still remember Denny Hulme in the McLaren M8B and Mark Donahue showing up with the Porsche and blowing the door off everyone----that car killed the Can-Am series.
Sure did, that was the Penske Unfair Advantage. Got to interview Mark after he retired, and before he went into F1 and got killed. What an amazing guy. I was blessed to be a spectator at the original Can-Am and the PR head for the second coming which, in many ways over some of the years like 1979 and 1980, was actually better than the original.

My racing colleague from Illinois, Bobby Rahal, taught SCCA racing school with me at Blackhawk Farms. The national racing publication, "Competition Press & Autoweek" named me "The Fastest Young Driver in Illinois," which I heard really ticked him off but he never said anything to me. I was proud to get him his first national publicity when he moved to the Can-Am and was glad to congratulate him at the Molson Mosport Can-Am when word came he got an Indy ride. The rest is history.

Last edited by Mini Mania; 12-15-2016 at 02:55 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:00 AM
sherman89
4th Gear
So you have done Mosport---my home track for many years. I loved turn 2!!!!! Mark taught the driving world differential braking.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:18 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Formula 1

Saw my first F1 race, the 1967 Canadian Grand Prix, which was the first-ever GP there. Rained like crazy, Jack Brabham won.

Old 12-22-2016, 04:08 AM
sherman89
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Mania
Saw my first F1 race, the 1967 Canadian Grand Prix, which was the first-ever GP there. Rained like crazy, Jack Brabham won.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9fngNwbUIo

I would recommend that you post that video on the NAM F1 discussion----I enjoyed watching it. RAIN the big equalizer!!!!!