General Discussion Competiting with the new MINI on track or at a SCCA Solo event.

2015 Formula One Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 07:46 AM
daviday
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by two250
On an unrelated note, am I the only one looking at this thread anymore? It's been dead in here
I'm here! Been having email problems and unable to download tapatalk for some reason...

I'm a big time Scuderia fan and am very happy with how they did in Jerez. Vettel did well the first two days and Kimi seems have been on point as well. Hopefully this translates well into the season.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:12 AM
two250
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cerenkov

The new cars are interesting. Contrary to what others think (including you I believe) the Red Bull camo livery is horrifying.
Haha yea I love the Red Bull camo livery. I did read an interview from Horner that confirms they will not be running it for the season.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:27 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Say now, speaking of liveries here is some news concerning the possible colour scheme for the fledgling Haas F1 equipe...

Haas F1 plans yellow livery for 2016 team

Feb.6 (GMM) F1's new team for 2016, the American entrant Haas, could race with a distinctive yellow livery.

It has emerged in recent days that former McLaren and Red Bull engineer Rob Taylor will head the design of the first Haas car, in collaboration with Ferrari and Dallara.

"We do not want to make a car to test this year," team boss Gunther Steiner is quoted by Italy's Autosprint.

"If you make a car for that purpose, by next year it is already outdated."

Autosprint also claims that team owner Gene Haas, already with a leading outfit in the top US stock car series Nascar, is keen on reviving the colour yellow in F1.

Jordan's bright yellow cars are fondly recalled, while Renault fielded a yellow and black design in 2010.

"We would love to have a car in line with the company's image," said Haas, whose corporate logo is actually red and silver.

"But it needs to be good, too, because all these cars in silver or grey appear almost identical to each other.

"I would like a colour that makes us distinguishable," said the Californian. "I do like yellow."

Old 02-07-2015, 11:17 AM
two250
4th Gear
Does anyone play the F1 Video Game? I have 2011, 2013, and 2014.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:45 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
So anybody believe Bob Fernley when he claims that his decision to veto Manor's return to F1 with a modified 2014 car after the FIA greenlighted it wasn't driven by money?

Is Ferrari's performance last week due to real improvements - or just because Merc had the engines turned down?

Will McLarenHonda be able to squash enough bugs to make it into the middle of the pack - let alone up to the front?

Old 02-10-2015, 03:51 PM
two250
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
So anybody believe Bob Fernley when he claims that his decision to veto Manor's return to F1 with a modified 2014 car after the FIA greenlighted it wasn't driven by money?

Is Ferrari's performance last week due to real improvements - or just because Merc had the engines turned down?

Will McLarenHonda be able to squash enough bugs to make it into the middle of the pack - let alone up to the front?
I believe it was, not only because Manor/Marussia had to spend less than everyone to compete but Ecclestone said if they don't make it back the $45 million Marussia won will be distributed among active teams.

Both, they are much faster at this test vs. last year, but Mercedes had to be sandbagging a bit.

So far they are looking like Red Bull did last year, almost identical actually. I think with them being Honda's only focus that they will get it figured out...

Old 02-12-2015, 04:52 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
I believe it was, not only because Manor/Marussia had to spend less than everyone to compete but Ecclestone said if they don't make it back the $45 million Marussia won will be distributed among active teams.
Yeah, I tend to agree with that thought. I think Bob Fernley's full of crap.

Although the question of Manor's money just got murkier with this report from Forbes which claims that the team was insolvent, and that according to the rules if a team reaches insolvency then it forfeits all prize money. If that's true - then Manor's already lost the prize money...

It's also possible that Marussia knew this last year as this clause is in the team agreement:
"A Team's rights and obligations under its Team Agreement terminate if it: (a) ceases to be a constructor, fails to participate in more than three Events in a season or fails to submit a valid entry form for participation in the World Championship; or (b) is insolvent."

Based on that it could be argued that Marussia's call to not race Max in Russia was as much about respecting Jules as it was about finances...

Old 02-20-2015, 09:55 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
This rumor just seems to crop up with increasing regularity.

How about it F1 fans...You think that there's any substance to it?

F1 Rumours Firing for Audi Yet Again!

Feb.19 (GMM) Rumours are once again doing the rounds that the Volkswagen Group is eyeing a place on the F1 grid.

But according to Germany's respected Auto Motor und Sport, this time the speculation has a twist -- and former world champions Red Bull may be playing a role.

Now, the VW brand strongly linked with formula one is Audi, whose recent recruit, the former Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali, was reportedly tasked with conducting a feasibility study into entering the sport.

On Thursday, however, authoritative correspondent Michael Schmidt explained that the latest rumours involve Red Bull's works engine supplier Renault potentially going it alone again in F1.

Tensions between Red Bull and Renault have run high, particularly since the French marque so obviously struggled at the start of the new turbo V6 era.

But there might be more to it even than that.

Auto Motor und Sport reports that Red Bull might actually be looking to scale back its involvement as a mere participant, in order to buy into the commercial rights and "rebuild the premier series according to its own ideas".

Audi might be an interested buyer for Red Bull. Journalist Schmidt claims that Domenicali's feasibility study late last year attracted a "positive" response when he presented it to the board of directors.

The biggest hurdle, however, could be the reportedly poisonous relationship between F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone and Ferdinand Piech, his top counterpart at Volkswagen.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:00 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
I could see Domenicali pushing this, and it wouldn't surprise me if the overall ulterior motive for his hiring was for a move to F1...

But it still comes back to this:
The biggest hurdle, however, could be the reportedly poisonous relationship between F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone and Ferdinand Piech, his top counterpart at Volkswagen.
From what I hear, one of those two needs to step down before any member of the VW group dips into F1.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:35 PM
two250
4th Gear
What do you guys think about Alonso being held in the hospital following his crash? Seemed like a small crash to be airlifted out...

Old 02-24-2015, 05:13 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
I don't believe any of the G Force sensor data has been released like it was for Massa's crash in Canada or Raikonnen's crash in Silverstone last year, nor have I seen any video of the crash, so it's really hard to say just how hard that impact was.

Despite all the conspiracy theories flying around, what has been released is that Alonso was concussed from the shunt, so there was a serious injury as a result of the crash. Is that enough for the flight or the extended hospital stay? I don't know... I'm not a doctor.

If something was squirrely with Alonso prior to the crash - the FIA would know already. The Race Doctor can see in the medical car, not just where every car is on the track, in real time, but they can see basic vitals for every driver as well. If Alonso was shocked by the car as the tin foil hat crowd alleges - the Race Doctor would have known, and would have known before the crash.

And if the conspiracy theorists were correct - what benefit does McLaren have by hiding that? The FIA is going to look into the crash, especially one where a driver is sent to the hospital, if they were hiding something it's going to come out in the investigation. Not only that, but if there was something manifestly unsafe with McLaren's electrical setup, the FIA wouldn't let a driver into the car - and since today's crop of drivers don't have a death wish - they wouldn't get into the car voluntarily...

Old 02-24-2015, 08:03 AM
two250
4th Gear
What just seems odd to me is that McLaren keeps repeating he wasn't unconscious and that all MRI's and CT scans look normal, then why is he still in the hospital? There must be something wrong with him that concerns doctors. I don't think the car hurt him, those theories are ridiculous. I just think it's strange that he's 100% OK, yet they have no idea when he'll be released. It makes it seem like something is being hidden about his condition...

Old 02-24-2015, 11:13 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Despite all the conspiracy theories flying around, what has been released is that Alonso was concussed from the shunt, so there was a serious injury as a result of the crash. Is that enough for the flight or the extended hospital stay? I don't know... I'm not a doctor.
You are correct sir. We can speculate all we like but since we are not involved in a 'hands-on' exam of the patient [Alonso] the determination of the extent of his injuries is just that... speculation nothing more.

...And if the conspiracy theorists were correct - what benefit does McLaren have by hiding that? The FIA is going to look into the crash, especially one where a driver is sent to the hospital, if they were hiding something it's going to come out in the investigation. Not only that, but if there was something manifestly unsafe with McLaren's electrical setup, the FIA wouldn't let a driver into the car - and since today's crop of drivers don't have a death wish - they wouldn't get into the car voluntarily...
Indeed! All valid and astute points you bring up mbabischkin

What just seems odd to me is that McLaren keeps repeating he wasn't unconscious and that all MRI's and CT scans look normal, then why is he still in the hospital? There must be something wrong with him that concerns doctors... It makes it seem like something is being hidden about his condition...
McLaren does seem to be keeping secrets so I understand your having suspicions two250, but perhaps you are reading too much into this...

Perhaps Alonso is being kept for extended observation, nothing more. If the impact was of such a great severity [side impact with high G-force loading] then a conscientious and conservative approach may be what the physician's have chosen to follow. Better to err on the safe side than to release a patient prematurely especially when dealing with the possibility of head trauma [an assumption on my part as the initial reports deal with Alonso and his level of consciousness]. Then again it may be nothing more than Fernando requesting a longer stay in hospital so that he himself is assured that all is well. We can only guess.

Anyway I hope that he recovers soon! Get well Fernando!

Old 02-24-2015, 11:28 AM
two250
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Sabre

McLaren does seem to be keeping secrets so I understand your having suspicions two250, but perhaps you are reading too much into this...
Maybe, I guess it's the pictures that are odd. Like this one:

Perhaps after Bianchi though F1 isn't taking any chances with head injuries...

Old 02-26-2015, 10:41 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Here is some more news concerning Alonso's recent shunt at Barcelona with the new McLaren MP4-30...

Ron Dennis sheds light on Alonso's Pre-Season testing accident.

by Luke Williams - NBC Sportsnet / Feb 26 2014

McLaren CEO Ron Dennis has moved to clear up some media reports regarding Fernando Alonso’s accident during pre-season testing in Barcelona last Sunday.
Alonso had to be airlifted to the hospital following a heavy crash at turn three, but was deemed to be “uninjured and fine” following clear CT and MRI scans.

However, doctors opted to keep him under observation, and the Spaniard eventually left the hospital on Wednesday afternoon.

The team put the incident down to the high winds that affected running at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya on Sunday, but due to conflicting media reports, Dennis called a press briefing on Thursday to clear up the speculation.

“What I will say is a few facts,” Dennis said. “Fernando’s period in hospital was determined by the doctors, not by us. We were completely supportive. He had an accident here, everyone knows that.

“He was, as is always the case with a potential head injury, was sedated here. That was a completely normal process. He had completely clear CT and MRI scans, and at no stage through any part of the inspection process at the hospital was there any indication of any damage to his brain.

“There were rumours of electrocution. There was absolutely categorically no electrocution. In all the previous runs, Fernando was saying it was tricky because the wind is moving the car around. Our conclusions that it was related to the wind was based on his comments and the comments of a third party.

“If you then ask the question why he was in the hospital for three days, it’s because there was a period of unconsciousness. It was relatively short.

“When he came to rest, all we know is that the radio was on and we could hear him breathing. There were no other noises. They say it was seconds.”

Following medical advice, Alonso will not be taking any part in the third and final pre-season test of the season in Barcelona this weekend.

However, Dennis said that he does not see any reason why the Spaniard will not be able to take part in the first race of the season in Australia on March 15th. Should Alonso be unable to race though, Dennis confirmed that reserve driver Kevin Magnussen would get the call.

“I can’t foresee any reason why not but I’m not the doctor,” he said. “There will be some tests and processes laid down in the FIA. I can’t see any reason he won’t just sail through it. It’s not for me to determine.

“We have Kevin here. He will test. If Fernando didn’t drive, Kevin would drive. But it’s the sort of preparation that you would expect us to take to cover all eventualities as opposed to this being something that we put right up there. Why would we want to put Kevin in the car without him having driven it?”

Contrary to the original statement released by the team on the day of the accident, Dennis claims that Alonso was not concussed in the accident. However, he reinforced the fact that the Spaniard was physically fine.

“He is devoid of all injuries,” Dennis explained. “We can categorically say he has no injury. We can categorically say he didn’t suffer an electric shock. We can categorically say that, we believe, the car did not fail. Everything after that becomes subjective.”

“He’s not even concussed. The technical definition of a concussion is that you can see it in a scan. The possibility is that the change of direction happened so fast that actually it was like – it’s inappropriate to use the word – a whiplash of the brain. It didn’t actually touch anything. It didn’t bruise, it didn’t bleed.

“I’m not trying to conceal anything. I’m just telling you the facts: he is physically perfect. There is no concussion.”

Fernando Alonso is now resting at his parents’ home in Spain, and his condition will continue to be assessed in the run-up to the Australian Grand Prix.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:09 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
If he categorically is not hurt then why is not practicing? Get back in the saddle!

Old 02-27-2015, 07:58 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Here is your updated entry list for the 2015 F1 season...

2015 FIA F1 World Championship – Updated Entry List

#44 – Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
#6 – Nico Rosberg Mercedes
#3 – Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull
#26 – Daniil Kvyat Red Bull
#19 – Felipe Massa Williams
#77 – Valtteri Bottas Williams
#5 – Sebastian Vettel Ferrari
#7 – Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari
#14 – Fernando Alonso McLaren
#22 – Jenson Button McLaren
#27 – Nico Hulkenberg Force India
#11 – Sergio Perez Force India
#33 – Max Verstappen Toro Rosso
#55 – Carlos Sainz Jr. Toro Rosso
#8 – Romain Grosjean Lotus
#13 – Pastor Maldonado Lotus
#9 – Marcus Ericsson Sauber
#12 – Felipe Nasr Sauber
TBA – Will Stevens* Manor Marussia**
TBA – TBA Manor Marussia**

*subject to holding of a super licence
**subject to compliance with the 2015 technical regulations

Old 02-27-2015, 11:08 AM
two250
4th Gear
Uh Oh, it's what we all feared...

1 Rosberg Mercedes 1:22.792 106 Medium
2 Bottas Williams 1:23.995 90 Medium
3 Nasr Sauber 1:24.071 140 Soft
4 Vettel Ferrari 1:25.339 141 Medium
5 Button McLaren 1:25.590 101 Medium
6 Maldonado Lotus 1:26.705 139 Soft
7 Verstappen Toro Rosso 1:26.766 139 Hard
8 Kvyat Red Bull 1:26.965 84 Medium
9 Hülkenberg Force India 1:28.785 77 Medium

Old 02-27-2015, 11:17 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
I think the problem with the Alonso crash boils down to one thing (and one person) Ron Dennis...

Several outlets are covering Ron's statement - and what he says is contrary to much of what was previously released about the incident...

We heard he had a concussion - Ron says he didn't
We heard he was conscious - Ron says he wasn't
We know he had an extended hospital stay - Ron says he's fine

I think Ron's trying to control the message here - and he's doing a terrible job of it and that's what the entire situation looks so suspicious.

Regardless it's pretty clear that Alonso was conscious and driving the car when everything went pear shaped...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/31661625

Old 03-03-2015, 05:16 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
No Fernando in Melbourne

Statement from McLaren:

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/insi...edical-update/

Interestingly, even though Ron Dennis said last week that there was no concussion - the team is still saying that there was one...

Old 03-03-2015, 07:54 AM
two250
4th Gear
Statement from McLaren:

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/insi...edical-update/

Interestingly, even though Ron Dennis said last week that there was no concussion - the team is still saying that there was one...
He's not racing Australia? There's no way a concussion would keep you from racing a month later. I have had a concussion and my doctors said I could ride my dirtbike again after a week. I also watch every Supercross and Motocross race, they are always back with in 1-2 weeks from a concussion. That's with the advanced IMPACT test they use, once they pass the test they can race again. This whole thing just feels really strange to me.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:32 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
There's no way a concussion would keep you from racing a month later.

Sorry, I disagree with you there. Each situation is different, but more importantly the FIA doesn't play around with concussions...

Alan McNish talks about how Sid Watkins refused to grant him a medical clearance for 60 days after a GP2 crash where he had a concussion... A crash where he thought he was just fine, but when he looks back on it now admits he definitely wasn't - among other things during the forced recovery period he walked into a window that he knew was there....

Or Dario Franchitti whose career was ended due to too many concussions...

I'd suggest reading this: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/31654193

money quotes:
"If he's had concussion, he could completely recover within that period but it could also take longer than that.
"There is really no test that will tell you. You have to wait for it to run its course."
"Concussion is really a spectrum from very mild to more severe, and anywhere along that spectrum you could be required to be in the hospital," Professor Olvey said.
"The majority of concussions actually don't require staying in the hospital, but some that are more severe could go as long as three days.
"We know it is risky to get into a situation where you could very possibly have another concussion," Professor Olvey said. "You do not want to have a second concussion if you have had a first concussion until the first one has completely healed.
"It's different for each individual but the bottom line is too many concussions too close together are thought to cause long-term effects that could have an effect on a person later in life, so it is not worth the risk."

Old 03-03-2015, 08:36 AM
two250
4th Gear
Yea I guess it is better to be safe. Just hate it when a big name is already out and we haven't even started yet!

Old 03-05-2015, 05:04 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Excellent update from Andy Benson over at BBC regarding Fernando's situation... While it appears there is still a lot of unknowns, despite what the team was originally saying this was definitely a severe concussion.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/31732315

Old 03-07-2015, 03:26 PM
two250
4th Gear
Looks like Manor(Marussia) will make it to Australia, they passed the crash tests with a modified 2014 car.

Quick Reply: 2015 Formula One Discussion