R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Punctured gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 09:34 AM
exdos
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Punctured gas tank

I was driving in the dark on a rural road on Christmas eve and drove over a branch(?) which I couldn't see until it was almost in front of the car, so couldn't swerve to avoid it. It has produced a puncture hole in the gas tank at the front, just to the side of the metal strap which supports the tank. It looks as though it will be relatively easy to fix it with a repair material, which should act as a plug into the 1/4" hole. I should be able to fix the tank without removing it from the car and NO heat will be involved.

Is the Countryman's gas tank plastic and if so, what type of plastic is it? Also can anyone recommend a suitable repair material for the job?

Thanks.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:57 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
there might be like a gas tank repair kit in the auto parts store. or get the tank replaced.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:09 PM
grussell
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The fuel tank is plastic. Use JB Weld for plastic. A two part epoxy you mix together. I used the metal version once on an aluminum oil pan and drove the car for 2 years. Clean the are with brake cleaner and scuff with sand paper so it will stick.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:22 AM
exdos
1st Gear
Thanks for the replies. I've bought some JB Weld Marine Weld as advised by the UK importer. I've had to do the job in freezing temperatures, so I've placed a steam cleaner tank directly beneath the empty fuel tank on the car and have kept bringing it to the boil every hour to keep the adhesive warm whilst setting/curing. My Infra-red thermometer shows that the area is being heated to around 25degs C, so that should produce a proper cure.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:05 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Yea, its plastic as you found out, how bad was the damage, did you have a picture. First time I have heard of the CM tank getting damaged.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-05-2017, 08:42 AM
exdos
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yea, its plastic as you found out, how bad was the damage, did you have a picture. First time I have heard of the CM tank getting damaged.
Apparently the plastic is HDPE and one of the most difficult plastics to get adhesives to stick with.

The damage looks like a 3" diameter ball has dented the tank with a half-inch puncture (like a bullet hole) at the bottom of the dent,right at the front of the tank just to the side of the metal support strap. The overlying plastic cover was badly broken.

I've been hampered by the freezing temperatures and I've been unable to get both JB Weld Marine Weld and Plastic Padding Leak Fix to form a seal, although the Leak Fix did set properly and the tank is leaking about 50mls of fuel per day. I've not driven the car.

I've now managed to get hold of a decent used fuel tank for about 1/4 of the new price so I'm getting that fitted tomorrow. I wouldn't have been comfortable driving with the tank with any repair other than a plastic weld, and that would need the tank removing from the car, so fitting a decent used part is the best option.

I live in a rural area in the UK and driving in the dark does have its risks: over the years, I've had damage from hitting a badger, a sheep, pheasants, pigeons and aquaplaning!