R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

2014 Countryman S Xenon Bulb Removal and Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 06:58 PM
geometrix
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Countryman S Xenon Bulb Removal and Replacement

Hey Everybody,

I have a 2014 Countryman S. A warning light turned on this evening just as my right headlight started flickering. I am assuming that the bulb is "bad" and that it needs to be removed and replaced.

I did the typical Google searching etc. I see how to remove the plastic cover on the headlight housing, but I cannot figure out how to remove this bulb. Do I turn it? Pull it??????? How do I get this thing out????

Please see the attached photos. I believe that my Countryman S has the Xenon bulbs because I see PHILIPS XenStart on the back of the bulb...or is this the starter?

Do the bulbs come separate from the starters? Or are the bulbs integrated into the starters where the bulb and starter come in one piece?

Can I purchase these parts at Autozone? Or do I need to go to a MINI dealership?

Thanks in Advance,
Neal

Attached Thumbnails 2014 Countryman S Xenon Bulb Removal and Replacement-img_7669.jpg   2014 Countryman S Xenon Bulb Removal and Replacement-img_7670.jpg   2014 Countryman S Xenon Bulb Removal and Replacement-img_7673.jpg  
Old 12-03-2016, 04:50 PM
rishardh
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just replaced mine today. The connector plug was at the 6 o-clock position and using that a reference I twisted the square assembly clock wise to the 7 0-clock position and pulled it out. Once out, unplug the connector.

Could not put it back doing it in reverse. Twisting from 7 o-clock to 6 o-clock anti clock wise did not work. What worked was putting it back in the 5 o-clock position and going clock wise to the 6 o-clock position.

FYI, one replacement bulb was $108 at pep boys (Phillips) and I got a pair for $26 from Amazon (Unknow Brand). Search for D1S 35W Xenon HID. I do not know how long they will last but at that price I will give it a try.

The following users liked this post:
anglocanadian (12-06-2021)
Old 10-26-2017, 11:57 AM
bmaillard
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you!

Thanks rishardh! I have been looking all over YouTube and the web to find out how to get those darn bulbs out! I searched for MINI Countryman R60 HID Xenon bulb replacement a thousand different ways, and only ever found other MINI models (which are different!) It turns out that all I had to do was turn the damn bulb with a little more force! I was just afraid I was going to break it. On other models there are little spring clips, so I thought maybe I just wasn't seeing them!

This helped immensely! I didn't want to pay the dealer $400 bucks to do a 2-minute job that I could do myself!!!

FWIW, I have a 2013 MINI Cooper Countryman S All-4 with HID Xenon headlights. Once I knew how to get the bulb out, it was a cinch to replace! Incidentally, I used the Philips bulb that is an *exact* replacement for the stock OEM bulbs:
Amazon Amazon

It's a Philips D1S C1, 85V, 35W bulb, had on Amazon for $60bucks each!

The following users liked this post:
Rob Bedford (08-11-2020)
Old 03-01-2018, 06:23 PM
kgelner
4th Gear
Thought Osram was supplier...

Originally Posted by bmaillard
Incidentally, I used the Philips bulb that is an *exact* replacement for the stock OEM bulbs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a Philips D1S C1, 85V, 35W bulb, had on Amazon for $60bucks each!
Thanks also for the description, one of my bulbs just went out so this is handy material.

I was looking at some other sire, and it claimed Osram was the current bulb supplier though - maybe it's changed? They seem to have a somewhat better rating, and are a little cheaper. I looked at the Osram bulbs on Amazon and found they were cheaper there, but some reviews said they were not getting working units or real Osram bulbs, so I ended up ordering from the other site I found:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...ELLITE_pg1.htm

Old 03-11-2018, 02:57 PM
kgelner
4th Gear
Changed bulbs, slightly different.

Originally Posted by kgelner
Thanks also for the description, one of my bulbs just went out so this is handy material.

I was looking at some other sire, and it claimed Osram was the current bulb supplier though - maybe it's changed? They seem to have a somewhat better rating, and are a little cheaper. I looked at the Osram bulbs on Amazon and found they were cheaper there, but some reviews said they were not getting working units or real Osram bulbs, so I ended up ordering from the other site I found:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...ELLITE_pg1.htm
As a followup, I just changed my bulbs - the bulbs from this site did come in boxes and looked legit (as much as anything can these days).

The bulb changing process was really easy but slightly different than others described - I have a Countryman ALl4 S (R60) with ~110k miles on it.

The rear cover on the headlights came off easily on both sides, then I found to get both bulbs out I had to turn them just 1/8 of a turn or so to the left, counter-clockwise (looking at the back of the bulb). To get the new bulbs in it was exactly the reverse, put them in about 1/8 turn to the left, then turn them back in place until they lock and are straight. I didn't have to use much force at all to either get them out or to put the new bulbs back in. The cable also unplugged fairly easily and plugged into the new bulbs just fine, I didn't verify it could only plug in one way but it's pretty obvious how it all goes.

I wore some thick rubber gloves but other than that precaution the change was very easy, I think pretty much anyone could manage changing these.

As a side note, the gasket for the cover on the side of the bulb that went out looked not as good as the gasket on the side that was still working, so I'll probably replace both gaskets too. It may be worth examining those every four years or so as it's really easy to just pop off the cover and take a look (no gloves required there, all plastic).