F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

2015 S hardtop klunking noises front end and in rear

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 11:56 AM
chrome mini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 S hardtop klunking noises front end and in rear

Has anybody had issues with klunking noises under the car? Particularly on take off and braking. Also from front end on turning at slow speeds. Dealer tells me there is a campaign for front ball joints. Something is seriously loose.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:22 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Had my shocks replaced because of noise. Still have clunking in rear, but I think it's the hatch.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:26 AM
g34343greg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine had some serious clunking in the front end when you would let up the clutch or go over a bump at low speed. This was solved with new lower control arm bushings. Only 1k miles on my car when they fixed it! Mini has some serious quality control issues.

I had new shocks put on my car and it helped a little bit with the rear clunking, but it never totally went away. The wife's car still makes a ton of crazy noises.

Mini needs to get their stuff together.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:14 AM
DouginCMH
Neutral
We just purchased a 2015 Mini S Hardtop with a little over 11K miles and, within a week, noticed pretty obvious clunking noises coming form the front right wheel area, especially at slower speeds and when turning. It was due to loose bushing mounting bolts; loose as in, down to the last couple of threads. Warranty covered, so no charge, but it was very simple to fix. No sounds since. FWIW, there was not noticeable effect on the way the car drove, just the sound, which I'm glad I had checked out quickly.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:13 PM
vetsvette
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Had my shocks replaced because of noise. Still have clunking in rear, but I think it's the hatch.
Had mine into the dealer last week for the hatch problem and noise in the front end when driving over bumps like speed bumps. Replacing the boot latch assembly cured the boot noise and replacing front control arms and bushings cured the noise from the front.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:44 PM
Lucila
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DouginCMH
We just purchased a 2015 Mini S Hardtop with a little over 11K miles and, within a week, noticed pretty obvious clunking noises coming form the front right wheel area, especially at slower speeds and when turning. It was due to loose bushing mounting bolts; loose as in, down to the last couple of threads. Warranty covered, so no charge, but it was very simple to fix. No sounds since. FWIW, there was not noticeable effect on the way the car drove, just the sound, which I'm glad I had checked out quickly.
My car just began exhibiting the clunking in the front right wheel going over speed bumps. I made an appointment for the 17th with the dealer. Should I not drive my car until then?

Old 10-17-2016, 03:36 PM
Lucila
3rd Gear
Got a call from the service department. They're replacing both control arms. I guess it's a known issue and they just went ahead and swapped them out.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:44 PM
Lucila
3rd Gear
Got my car back yesterday afternoon. They replaced the control arms but transferred the original bushings. I keep thinking I hear clunking but I'm not sure if it's the fuel in the gas tank swishing around. The fuel swishing around is more noticeable with a full tank. I think I'll let the fuel level burn off before I take it back in. Hopefully all it takes is replacing the bushings.

Last edited by Lucila; 10-18-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:45 PM
Lucila
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Had mine into the dealer last week for the hatch problem and noise in the front end when driving over bumps like speed bumps. Replacing the boot latch assembly cured the boot noise and replacing front control arms and bushings cured the noise from the front.
The dealer replaced mine but transferred my bushings. I think I still hear clunking noises. How many miles have you put on the new control arms and bushings since they replaced them?

Old 10-18-2016, 11:31 PM
vetsvette
Originally Posted by Lucila
The dealer replaced mine but transferred my bushings. I think I still hear clunking noises. How many miles have you put on the new control arms and bushings since they replaced them?
A couple thousand miles, including last weekend at the Dragon. Still good.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:01 PM
JCdubGerm
2nd Gear
Clunking from the front on bumps and turns will be your Lower control arms and bushings. Very common on the F's . The bushings should be replaced with the control arms. I think MINI says to reuse the bushings but most places are replacing them both. The clunk sometimes sounds like its from the back.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:43 PM
Lucila
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JCdubGerm
Clunking from the front on bumps and turns will be your Lower control arms and bushings. Very common on the F's . The bushings should be replaced with the control arms. I think MINI says to reuse the bushings but most places are replacing them both. The clunk sometimes sounds like its from the back.

Good to know! I'm calling the dealer tomorrow. The sound is getting worse. It's worse now than when I first took it in. It makes sense, if the busings were going out then, they're probably worse now. Sounds like the wheel is going to fall off. No matter what bump I drive over it complains.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:26 PM
JCdubGerm
2nd Gear
If you go tell them you are willing to test drive it with the foreman. Its an easy diagnosis. This is happening a lot.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:10 PM
Lucila
3rd Gear
Well, took Stitch back to Stevens Creek Mini today. The tech didn't even need to test drive it to replicate the noise. Just barley moving the car into the service garage was enough for him to detect it.

As it turns out it wasn't the bushings, It was a defective control arm pinch bolt. Apparently it had "stretched out." Not sure how a bolt stretches but what do I know. Anyway. I drove it 20 miles afterwards with no clunking and a very solid feel. I'm a happy camper now. 🤗😎

Old 11-05-2016, 12:18 PM
jaep1911
2nd Gear
I dropped off my F55 for its first service and requested the dealer to look in to the clunking noise from the front and rear, especially the front while turning under acceleration. Just got a call telling me that they have ordered bushings. I was surprised to hear that they were able to reproduce the problem (how rare..).

I shall get my car back on Tue if all goes well. I am driving a nice loaner, MCS, and it is dead silent.

In Spring next year, I will address my stinky AC. One at a time

Old 11-09-2016, 07:02 PM
jaep1911
2nd Gear
Follow up: They changed the control arm bushings and said that the amount of the noise has decreased but it was still there. So they ordered struts...

When I drove back home this afternoon, it was raining pretty bad so I did not drive hard and notice any noise.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:28 PM
Ted B.
Neutral
Control Arms and Bushing

Same problem here. 2015 S with 8K miles. They're replacing both control arms and bushings. Said that parts are being shipped from Germany and that it would be "at least 3 weeks." Told me my car is fine to drive in the meantime. Here in Chicago, the single-digit temperatures this week have transformed a clunk into almost a "crunch" like sound. But the handling of the vehicle has not been appreciably impacted.

Old 12-15-2016, 04:47 PM
jaep1911
2nd Gear
17 deg here today and the noise is terrible. The squeeking noise when I turn the steering wheel is also worse. I am not sure if it is related to the control arm defect. Still waiting for the dealer to call me and set up another appointment.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:24 PM
Lucila
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jaep1911
17 deg here today and the noise is terrible. The squeeking noise when I turn the steering wheel is also worse. I am not sure if it is related to the control arm defect. Still waiting for the dealer to call me and set up another appointment.

My steering whines in the morning when it's cold but stops when the car warms up. I think this is probably a power steering issue rather than control arms, bushings or struts. I plan to bring it up at my next service.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:21 AM
Lucila
3rd Gear
[deleted

Old 01-04-2017, 10:02 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Try Lemon Law now. You got a bad car going on here.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:23 AM
Lucila
3rd Gear

The mechanic that worked on my car explained to me that this sound is normal under extreme cold conditions where the oils/lubricants take a little while to warm up. I found that my steering only does this when it's really cold outside and will stop once I turn the wheel a few times. Is this the case for your car as well? If so its probably normal. Otherwise it maybe a different issue.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:22 PM
hp79
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
While in for the 3rd year maintenance (engine oil, wipers, brake fluid flush), and couple other minor things, I had them also check my clunk noise coming from the front. The clunk happens when slowly going over humps, and I had the updated control arms from last year service. This time they replaced the lower control arms as per SIB 310315, and now no more clunking noise! They even performed a 4 wheel alignment this time

Old 11-19-2019, 01:16 PM
Yoshi99
Neutral
Just had this problem surface -- my F56 is out of warranty at this point -- dealership is quoting $1,600.

Old 11-19-2019, 03:04 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by Yoshi99
Just had this problem surface -- my F56 is out of warranty at this point -- dealership is quoting $1,600.
Dealership love to rip off out of warranty owners. That is how they balance the books in the service department. Seek an indy shop with MINI/BMW expertise.

Quick Reply: 2015 S hardtop klunking noises front end and in rear