F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

Engine replacement issues?

Old 03-08-2016, 08:51 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by ThunderDolphin4
what i found out about this issue from working at a mini dealership is that depending on how much you ride your clutch, determines how chewed up the bearings are and wether or not you need a whole engine. I believe the recall applies to all f56 s models and the engine replacement is not based on production date
Sounds like typical "dealerspeak" for it's not our fault! You just don't know how to drive! I've been driving manual transmissions since the early 60's and know how to drive them. I can guarandamntee you that I don't ride the clutch. If there wasn't a problem with the bearing limiting end play all riding the clutch would do is wear out the clutch faster. If the crankshaft can move on it's longitudinal axis (which it is not supposed to do) every time the clutch is engaged or disengaged the crankshaft is going to move. This resulted in my crankshaft bearing surface being scored badly enough to be able to feel it with your fingertip.

This sounds like when I took my '07 in for the "death rattle". The first thing they said was you didn't change the oil often enough and it caused the problem. I showed them documentation for oil changes every 5K miles and asked them to check the tensioner. Next it was, "oh, well you have the original tensioner so we'll replace the timing cassette".

Also, I've not heard of a single automatic transmission S car being recalled.
Also, the TSB states the affected cars build dates are between January 2014 to February 2015.

Attached Thumbnails Engine replacement issues?-image-2-11-16-at-11.03-pm.jpg  

Last edited by vetsvette; 03-08-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:30 PM
Cmoney
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine replacment

Same thing, had crankshaft issues, my car was the first that my service center saw. They replaced my engine, 4000 miles later I'm running into more issues. Getting a drivetrain malfunction message, they said I needed a new software update, but the update messes everything up. It pops and backfires constantly not just in sport mode. The new update remapped something in the ecu. More problems, I am trying to get them to take the car from me and give me a new one. It will never be the same again after engine replacment

Old 03-31-2016, 07:51 PM
BennyF
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Cmoney
Same thing, had crankshaft issues, my car was the first that my service center saw. They replaced my engine, 4000 miles later I'm running into more issues. Getting a drivetrain malfunction message, they said I needed a new software update, but the update messes everything up. It pops and backfires constantly not just in sport mode. The new update remapped something in the ecu. More problems, I am trying to get them to take the car from me and give me a new one. It will never be the same again after engine replacment
My dad had a engine replace in another brand car. The MASTER tech told him, their never the same...there are many factors that are compromised that it is inevitable that you will have issues.

NO MORE MINI'S FOR our family.PERIOD...

Old 04-03-2016, 02:25 PM
DAVIDLEERAD
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BennyF
My dad had a engine replace in another brand car. The MASTER tech told him, their never the same...there are many factors that are compromised that it is inevitable that you will have issues.

It depends on the tech who replaces the motor. I had mine done somewhat recently and it's better than ever! Not a single hiccup.

I even did a motor swap myself in my civic si and never had any issues 😉

Old 04-03-2016, 09:15 PM
vetsvette
Originally Posted by BennyF

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to call BS on that one!
My new motor is working fine. I've also swapped used and new motors in a multitude of vehicles over the last 50 years. You just have to know what you're doing.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:26 PM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At the dealer now picking up car after replacement. Went to try it out car has lost power in sixth. Can be running 80 and barely touch the gas and it wants me to downshift to 4th!!!! WTF is not the car I bought. Is seems to pull less in every gear. It's like it doesn't have a turbo.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:29 PM
vetsvette
Take it back and have them check the duct/pipe between the turbo and the intake manifold. Same thing happened when bringing mine home and they found something had gotten knocked loose when re-installing the motor. Same symptoms. Basically turned the car into a "Justa". Just one big azzed vacuum/boost leak. Fixed it in no time.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:02 PM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Take it back and have them check the duct/pipe between the turbo and the intake manifold. Same thing happened when bringing mine home and they found something had gotten knocked loose when re-installing the motor. Same symptoms. Basically turned the car into a "Justa". Just one big azzed vacuum/boost leak. Fixed it in no time.
Did yours have a error code? They believed if that was the case it would have came up with a error code.

Another weird thing at the dealership when i locked the door the horn beeped. It had never done that before I did it twice to make sure I heard it correct and it beeped. When I got home locked the door no beep.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:06 PM
vetsvette
After a while I got a CEL. Don't have a clue what's up with your lock/horn.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:28 PM
Red Justa
1st Gear
Originally Posted by VYPUR
Did yours have a error code? They believed if that was the case it would have came up with a error code.

Another weird thing at the dealership when i locked the door the horn beeped. It had never done that before I did it twice to make sure I heard it correct and it beeped. When I got home locked the door no beep.
Are you sure it's the horn beeping and not the door lock module under the hood? Reason I ask is the same thing happened to my car. I finally figured out that the battery got low during it's stay at the dealership (1 week). It took a while to figure this out as it occurred intermittently in the morning or after sitting for 10 hrs. Charged it up to full and did not have a problem since.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:22 AM
VYPUR
5th Gear
It's the horn it beeps 3 times real fast.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:51 PM
Dinger28
2nd Gear
Man, I just picked up a 2014 MCS a few weeks ago and didn't even know about this. Didn't buy it from a Mini dealer and now I am all worried. Car has about 8000 miles on it and it is my 2nd Mini (Had a 05 MCS)

Now to somehow make an appt at the dealer to check out all this.

Worried......

Old 04-18-2016, 03:45 PM
VYPUR
5th Gear
My car is terrible, and the dealer refuses to fix it they claim that since it has no error code that the car is ok. All I know is i hate it now. It's like it's not even a turbo has like no power. Was driving home today running about 70 and push the gas and it tells me to downshift to 3rd gear and has no kick. I don't know what I'm going to do. A person on LXM had the same problem and her dealership fixed hers but my dealership will not fix mine. I freaking hate this car.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:48 AM
Dinger28
2nd Gear
Made an apt with the dealer yesterday. They said that I will have to have a loaner, which means that they may have it for a while? Car goes in on Tuesday. Not even sure what recalls there are but I am nervous.....

Will update once I hear whatever is going on with it..

Old 05-01-2016, 01:01 PM
HogWldFLTR
2nd Gear
Got mine back on Wednesday following replacement at 13K miles; so far no issues, I hope.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:38 PM
gwman
2nd Gear
So, my engine will be replaced after 24k miles. All in all, if it's truly a new engine, I'm not complaining, but I do wonder.. Has anyone been able to wrangle an extended warranty or a reset on the distance/mileage for warranty?