F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

AC doesnt feel as cold as it seems it should

Old 07-20-2015, 03:48 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by jeepndad
Nope does not have a lemon smell it does have a sweet kind of smell. But most of the newer minis I have been in have the same smell.
I was being sarcastic. Either your car is taking on characteristics of a lemon or your dealer doesn't know much about fixing an air conditioner.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:41 AM
jeepndad
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I was being sarcastic. Either your car is taking on characteristics of a lemon or your dealer doesn't know much about fixing an air conditioner.
Oops duh.
I thought you were serious because I have been in some new cars that actually smell like lemons.

However now they think there might be a hose that is deteriorated in the inside and causing a block.

Who knows but now that we're back from vacation they have about a week to figure it out or I will start the lemon law process.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:17 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Sometimes the service department can be the lemon rather than the car.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:32 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
My sons 2012 CM kept cutting out, I checked his low side pressure, it was good but the high side was too high, I assumed orifice tube blocked but they replaced compressor and so far so good .

Old 07-30-2015, 04:20 PM
mattcarberry
1st Gear

I have a 15 f56 and I thought the same thing, my a/c isn't really cutting it for me. Because I work on volvos for a living, and knowing that they come off the boat with sometimes half charged systems, I decided to hook my mini up to the a/c machine and see what kind of a charge it had. Basically it was sitting at about a 68% charge. I evacuated and recharged the whole system to 100% (1.08lbs), now it blows ice cold and gets cold fast. If you bring your car to the dealer and complain about it not being cold enough they should recharge it for you under warranty.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:11 PM
jeepndad
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mattcarberry
I have a 15 f56 and I thought the same thing, my a/c isn't really cutting it for me. Because I work on volvos for a living, and knowing that they come off the boat with sometimes half charged systems, I decided to hook my mini up to the a/c machine and see what kind of a charge it had. Basically it was sitting at about a 68% charge. I evacuated and recharged the whole system to 100% (1.08lbs), now it blows ice cold and gets cold fast. If you bring your car to the dealer and complain about it not being cold enough they should recharge it for you under warranty.
They have been replacing part after part to see if they can fix it. The charge has never been low. It seems like by now they have replaced almost every part pertaining to the AC. Allegedly it is blowing cold and staying cold now but they want to test it one more day before the shop foreman will release the car back to us.
problem seems to be that the pressure was getting too high and then the computer would shut down the ac compressor to keep it from getting damaged.
hopefully they have it all fixed...we shall see tomorrow.
at this point not to faithful though as the car has been in the shop for over a month.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:24 AM
mattcarberry
1st Gear

And where do you live? Most states where it gets hot techs have to be certified in A/C to even touch cars with ac complaints. I'm sorry for your troubles. Maybe try a different shop next time? That is if there are other mini dealerships close-ish by.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:19 AM
jeepndad
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mattcarberry
And where do you live? Most states where it gets hot techs have to be certified in A/C to even touch cars with ac complaints. I'm sorry for your troubles. Maybe try a different shop next time? That is if there are other mini dealerships close-ish by.
Corona, CA.
Took it into the dealer where we ordered it from. And even the Bmw / mini engineers have been out trying to fix it. There is another one they sold with the same issue that corp won't let them touch until they figure out the problem on ours and then cookie cutter the fix to that one.
Crossing our fingers that this time it will be fixed for good.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:55 AM
mattcarberry
1st Gear

Well I have my fingers crossed for you!

Old 07-31-2015, 10:30 PM
jeepndad
2nd Gear
she picked up this afternoon so far so good. paperwork says bad ac line suction hose collapsing, replaced suction hose line.
among other things they already tried. i have a good feeling that this last thing was the issue all along as the paperwork also said they removed some parts from the front end and could see that the hose was actually collapsing and blocking the flow. It also said they shipped the vehicle somewhere but doesn't say where. We dropped the vehicle off to them with just over 800 miles on the odo and got it back with just over 1400 miles on the odo.

Last edited by jeepndad; 07-31-2015 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:47 PM
Doc Pain
1st Gear
prolly stupid reply but...

i couldnt find it in yer post --- but anytime i had something to do with the AC [or ne1 else that was working on it besides me...] the 1st question was to check that filter screen normally before the compressor . i.e. to stop trash from burning up said compressor ------thus---- these types of symptoms would arise to PREVENT said damage from happening to the most costly components of said system.

but...then again...i am a bakwards texan...we aint tha sharpist toolz n tha shed im shore... :P

Old 08-01-2015, 05:00 AM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
she picked up this afternoon so far so good. paperwork says bad ac line suction hose collapsing, replaced suction hose line. among other things they already tried. i have a good feeling that this last thing was the issue all along as the paperwork also said they removed some parts from the front end and could see that the hose was actually collapsing and blocking the flow. It also said they shipped the vehicle somewhere but doesn't say where. We dropped the vehicle off to them with just over 800 miles on the odo and got it back with just over 1400 miles on the odo.
Even though the car is fixed (let's assume that) I think the 30 days is irreverent. I think Cali is 3 repair attempts. Maybe 4. You passed that. They know they had a buy back situation at hand. Technically they should be replacing that car for you if you want. No $ out of pocket and you could probably sneak in some upgrades on the new one for the same payment you have now. If you don't want a new car I would make sure it's fixed and ask for compensation for the time down. Payments gifts accessories. What ever.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 08-01-2015, 07:44 AM
maytulip32
2nd Gear
We dropped the vehicle off to them with just over 800 miles on the odo and got it back with just over 1400 miles on the odo.
I hope everything is fixed but I would be PO'd if I picked my car up and it had 600 extra miles on it with no explaination other than they took it some where with out letting me know ahead of time.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:54 AM
jeepndad
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Drivehard
Even though the car is fixed (let's assume that) I think the 30 days is irreverent. I think Cali is 3 repair attempts. Maybe 4. You passed that. They know they had a buy back situation at hand. Technically they should be replacing that car for you if you want. No $ out of pocket and you could probably sneak in some upgrades on the new one for the same payment you have now. If you don't want a new car I would make sure it's fixed and ask for compensation for the time down. Payments gifts accessories. What ever. Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring
It was 4 times back for the same issue
And over 30 days in the shop. Technically it could be a lemon law issue.
They are compensating in some ways. There is no way to get the car exactly like this anymore as it was an order and now they changed things on the 16's

Old 08-01-2015, 09:58 AM
jeepndad
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by maytulip32
I hope everything is fixed but I would be PO'd if I picked my car up and it had 600 extra miles on it with no explaination other than they took it some where with out letting me know ahead of time.
They did let us know that they were going to drive it. And asked our permission each time. As each time they would try one fix and say it was good it would blow cold for half the trip home and then blow hot the second half.
I just hope it's all good now.
So far seems to be.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:43 PM
maytulip32
2nd Gear
:
They did let us know that they were going to drive it. And asked our permission each time. As each time they would try one fix and say it was good it would blow cold for half the trip home and then blow hot the second half.
I just hope it's all good now.
So far seems to be.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:31 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I was speaking to a small town VW dealer this week. He had the same problem with a car that had less than 300 miles on it. The shop tried 4 times to fix the problem. VW tech could not figure it out. He gave his customer a new car with new everything. His attitude was that a new car customer in a small town has rights and he said he would rather fight with VW.
Not sure how special "Lucky" is but I would suggest that you say to your dealer that you want a new car that works... properly!

Old 08-02-2015, 08:13 PM
jeepndad
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by GregoryK
I was speaking to a small town VW dealer this week. He had the same problem with a car that had less than 300 miles on it. The shop tried 4 times to fix the problem. VW tech could not figure it out. He gave his customer a new car with new everything. His attitude was that a new car customer in a small town has rights and he said he would rather fight with VW. Not sure how special "Lucky" is but I would suggest that you say to your dealer that you want a new car that works... properly!
Lucky seems all good now day 2 and still blowing cold.
Would not be able to get another just like lucky it was a special order.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:27 PM
jeepndad
2nd Gear
Just so it may help another person in the future the fix for the AC not blowing cold was a bad AC suction line hose that was collapsing.
After over 30 days in the shop they found the culprit and could visually see the line collapse and block off the flow. This caused a blockage and excessive high pressure. Which in turn caused the computer to shut off the AC compressor to avoid damaging the compressor and seals.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:39 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Thanks for the update. Was the fitting from rubber line to the metal still good , up north they separate / corrode over years.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-10-2015, 01:27 PM
jeepndad
2nd Gear
No mention of fittings, and this car had less than 800 miles on it when we noticed it not blowing cold. So apparently it was a bad section of hose from whoever makes it. There was another car that came in shortly after ours for the same issue. They wouldn't touch the other one until they figured out the problem. The engineers also told the Svc advisor that there was another one in another state with same issue awaiting to see what fixed ours.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:11 PM
Jan Poole
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Oops duh.
I thought you were serious because I have been in some new cars that actually smell like lemons.

However now they think there might be a hose that is deteriorated in the inside and causing a block.

Who knows but now that we're back from vacation they have about a week to figure it out or I will start the lemon law process.
glad you got it fixed.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:52 AM
Loccusst
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Glad it was fixed but the miles put on the car would have sent me over the edge.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:59 AM
3rdcoastmini
2nd Gear
Good it's fixed. I'd ask for some free washes and a hat and chalk it up to not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of life issues.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:51 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It's a good idea to check the dates of a posting before responding to it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AC doesnt feel as cold as it seems it should