F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

Lemon or not

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 10:18 AM
ce_npb
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just read through this entire thread and at the end GregoryK mentions that he has tuned his MCS (BM tune). Is it me, or was this car driven hard and may have contributed to the trans problem, shock problem. and engine surges (due to programming the engine)? I know that we all want to drive our cars like they're rally cars and such, but the reality is that pushing the car hard, even when in stock condition, will likely create problems in the long haul. "Tuning" the car puts even more load on the engine and will result in problems and reliability issues.

Maybe I misread something. Not trying to be a troll...

Old 05-18-2015, 11:01 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks for reading the posts! I do not drive my car that hard. I've had the tune on and off the car. First gear jumping out happened from day 3. Shocks are a known issue. Yes I have a tune but it is off the car most off the time. None of the issues have been caused by it.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:03 AM
quickave
3rd Gear
I'm tempted to run it in my new JCW.. But it would be my luck something breaks lol

Old 05-18-2015, 11:32 AM
ce_npb
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by GregoryK
Thanks for reading the posts! I do not drive my car that hard. I've had the tune on and off the car. First gear jumping out happened from day 3. Shocks are a known issue. Yes I have a tune but it is off the car most off the time. None of the issues have been caused by it.
On a previous car I owned, a Honda S2000, I had an issue with 2nd gear popping out. I know how frustrating that can be. It's also very hard to reproduce for the dealer.

Good luck with the new JCW.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:46 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Good to hear its getting better...
Me, I decided to move on...
The huge tail lights and bumper nose on the gen3 was just too much...
Kinda wanted to like the f55, but just not the right car for me...and add the first year issues....
For me, it was time to move on...just could not wait another year...so I moved on to VW...
GOOD LUCK, seriously, hopefully your dealer takes care of you...seems like you have been both patient and loyal. Hopefully everything is sorted and the next car turns out to be a winner!!

Old 05-18-2015, 01:44 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Zippy are you getting a Golf R? That's a car and some :-).

Old 05-18-2015, 03:36 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by GregoryK
Zippy are you getting a Golf R? That's a car and some :-).
Would have loved too...
Ended up with a jetta TDI.... Lots of tq, so more fun than one might expect, and great mpg...doing about 50 running 75 mph....
Would have loved getting the GTI or the R, but geting something semi sedate for a year or two, then decide if I want to pony up the $$ with VW. Kinda at the point of it was a good enough deal to be low risk...and lots of folks do tuning of the TDI's...so something different for a bit....convient family wise to have 4 doors for a couple years too...engine technology wise it has some neat stuff...236 lbs of tq and a flat tq band with a water to air intercooler, etc makes it much more fun than the 150 HP might make one think...
Maybe going back to driving a lower HP car harder DOES have some advantages, sure not a track machine, but more useful spacewise for me for a need I have for a few years, wanting some highway comfort with good mpg....
Then again...if I get the jetta TDI paid off quick...buying a classic might be an option rather than getting a "upgrade".... Lots of options...
So many cars, so little time!

Old 05-19-2015, 10:21 PM
cesare
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If i were to buy a new car today it unfortunately would not be a Mini.

I also tried to get into the new f55 Mini but it has now gone much too far from the original concept.

The new base model 2015 VW golf with the 1.8 turbo engine is a very compelling option. With a simple APR Stage1 tune you are able to get a 55+hp bump in power. I think this car is miles ahead of the competition in the $20k range. Just drive one...i mean DRIVE it and you will see what i mean. Its not perfect but things have come a looong way for what you can get for $20k these days.

That being said, i plan to see over 200k miles with my trusty ol R53....it wont be a cheap journey but this is one car that i think is truly worth the trip.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:32 PM
Scarletbob
Neutral
I purchased my MC in June. It has been in the service department on four occasions. In the shop for over 21 days and they are My second week and injector needed to be replaced next an O2 sensor and the engine light has been on more than off. I just had it serviced on Thursday brought it home and the engine light came on again. I turned around and brought it back in. They acknowledge that it may be a lemon and have contacted a company rep to try and help with a replacement vehicle. They first offered to treat my car as a trade and I said no chance in hell. Now the have the head tech "playing with it" and a new part was sent for and may be in on Thursday (28th day without the car)while they pursue remedy with the corporate office. HELP. NOT SURE WHAT TO DO.