F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

F56 find the rattles!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 04:14 PM
joemysterio
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Imperial
I car doesn't have sun roof, so no noise related to that. I would suggest you to lube the moving parts with a ticker grease that is designed for metal. Possibly grease for bearing should work. See if that grease will somehow fill/eliminate the gaps in moving metal parts and stop the noise at least temporarily...this way you will know if that was the cause.

I have used different tapes depending what I needed to work with:

C-Pillar, armrest and a little bit in the trunk area - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Used as padding for trunk lid trim - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Some thin spots or for keeping the wire tight - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sweet, thanks for the links! The wire wrap/tape would definitely be useful for some wires that I still have kind of loose from the aftermarket backup camera.

Luckily I have a ton of grease ready to go for the sun roof. When I first bought it, it was actually making noise and was easy to diagnose. Just putting some pressure pushing up would cause that noise to stop. My friend joked with me that maybe the rattling in the sun roof is a loose pebble lol. That would be my luck haha.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:35 PM
Imperial
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by joemysterio
Sweet, thanks for the links! The wire wrap/tape would definitely be useful for some wires that I still have kind of loose from the aftermarket backup camera.

Luckily I have a ton of grease ready to go for the sun roof. When I first bought it, it was actually making noise and was easy to diagnose. Just putting some pressure pushing up would cause that noise to stop. My friend joked with me that maybe the rattling in the sun roof is a loose pebble lol. That would be my luck haha.
Don't forget to check tire pressure as on my car for example indicates the correct pressure for all 4 tires to be 39 PSI. If I have about that amount, then car drives better and less rattle/noises are heard. If tire pressure goes down to ~35 PSI, then cabin becomes more noisy and every imperfection on the road is felt.

Old 03-09-2022, 03:09 PM
daggerNC
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rmcintos
Quick followup on my post...

Both moon-roofs in mine and my girlfriends F56 are being completely replaced because they were both making creaking/popping/cracking noises when going over bumps or turning into driveways. I thought maybe some grease and tightening of the screws would fix it... but MINI has decided to fully replace them.

The squeaking in lower console area was some type of metal bracket, which is also being completely replaced.

All parts are coming from overseas, so it's probably going to take 1-2 weeks.

Anyway... Both our old vehicles (1990's Ford Explorer and 90's Mercedes C280) have sunroofs that work perfectly and are dead silent. There's is no excuses for a sunroof in a car only a year old to be creaking and making bad noises. Hopefully MINI builds them better quality down the road.
@rmcintos - did the sunroof replacements fully get rid of the creaking/popping sound? I have this in my 2015 F56 S - I "hear" it coming from behind, more right rear, but when sitting in the front passenger seat it was more rear central. The crack/popping sound drives me nuts and usually occurs going over bumps or uneven road elevation changes. I thought it was the rear moonroof, so took that section out and greased all the fitting/contact points and all the weatherstripping, but NO impact at all. (BTW, I hate the moonroof as it also makes lots of wind noise) Now I'm wondering if it could be a rear area panel or trim piece that is making the sound. I just can't definitively pinpoint where it's coming from. If someone has a suggestion, I'd be eternally grateful!

Old 05-19-2022, 11:53 AM
David9962000
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
For the door seals and such, I have been using this lubricant. Works very well.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by David9962000; 05-19-2022 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-19-2022, 02:41 PM
daggerNC
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the nextzett recommendation - might have to add that to my detailing supplies!

Old 12-11-2022, 06:17 PM
Mokhtar
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Updates?

Originally Posted by BadakVT
Thanks for catching that. Video privacy has been changed.
Today I'm planning to check all suspension parts before cutting the cavity shielding.

It really sounds like the noise is coming from below cavity shielding (part 5) on diagram below.

I have been noticing this too, though I have a 2018 MCS. I have thought it’s the main interior panel, but can never seem to figure it out.