F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

F56 find the rattles!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 07:38 AM
Ignoramist
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spmahoney78
I was hearing I slight thumping coming from the boot, dealer just informed me of service bulletin and they are special ordering new shocks.
I had that problem too but I think the hobo finally died. Now I have a weird smell...

Old 08-14-2016, 02:44 PM
Lucila
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 9k miles on my March build 2015 MCS. I have two noises that bother me. The first one is super intermittent. It sounds like a clicking noise coming from my rear driver side. I hear it when I'm stopped at traffic lights. It sounds to me like it could be the speaker. I sometimes hear some static from the floor sub, but I'm not sure if that's normal? This only occurs when the radio is off/muted.

The second is a rattle that comes from the passenger side door pillar. The cover of the door pillar (where the seatbelt comes out) becomes loose towards the back side. If I push on it it sounds like it clicks in, but eventually it becomes loose again and starts rattling. Anyone experience these?

Old 08-14-2016, 03:08 PM
rmcintos
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Yes. Those plastic trim where the seatbelts come out of always pop off on the backside. I push them back on and feel them click into place.... But few days later they are loose again. Luckily, they don't rattle. It's just an annoyance.

You should have someone sit in the back and listen for the sound while driving. I have used a cut piece of hose to try to isolate the sound in my ear for locating it.

Originally Posted by Lucila
I have 9k miles on my March build 2015 MCS. I have two noises that bother me. The first one is super intermittent. It sounds like a clicking noise coming from my rear driver side. I hear it when I'm stopped at traffic lights. It sounds to me like it could be the speaker. I sometimes hear some static from the floor sub, but I'm not sure if that's normal? This only occurs when the radio is off/muted.

The second is a rattle that comes from the passenger side door pillar. The cover of the door pillar (where the seatbelt comes out) becomes loose towards the back side. If I push on it it sounds like it clicks in, but eventually it becomes loose again and starts rattling. Anyone experience these?

Old 08-24-2016, 01:40 PM
rmcintos
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Quick followup on my post...

Both moon-roofs in mine and my girlfriends F56 are being completely replaced because they were both making creaking/popping/cracking noises when going over bumps or turning into driveways. I thought maybe some grease and tightening of the screws would fix it... but MINI has decided to fully replace them.

The squeaking in lower console area was some type of metal bracket, which is also being completely replaced.

All parts are coming from overseas, so it's probably going to take 1-2 weeks.

Anyway... Both our old vehicles (1990's Ford Explorer and 90's Mercedes C280) have sunroofs that work perfectly and are dead silent. There's is no excuses for a sunroof in a car only a year old to be creaking and making bad noises. Hopefully MINI builds them better quality down the road.

Originally Posted by rmcintos
2015 F56-S at 30k. Got a few notable noises.

- High pitched squeak in the front dash, down low inside the center section, seems behind the AC control area. Sounds like a little bird chirping away when on a bumpy road.

- Rattle in the boot or hatch. Nothing loose back there. Maybe inside the hatch door or in the roof area above the hatch.

- Moonroof makes a horrid creaking/cracking noise when going over a bump to turning the car into a driveway. It's almost like the whole car flexes and bends when you hit a bump. Both my girlfriend and I both have F56's and both our moonroofs make these creaking sounds.

Taking it into Mini next week for them to hopefully start the hunt. If anyone has any simple suggests or fixes, or have found the cause the similar sounds... please let me know here.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:54 PM
Loccusst
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2/16 build F54 Clubman non S model with 700 miles on it. I will be taking it in for the second time in 5 days to fix the creaking passenger seat on Monday. The dealership loosened and re-tightened all of the bolts/screw in the seat the last time and that seemed to make a small difference for a few miles. The dealership so far is being great at taking care of us but I find it odd that they can't duplicate the noise unless I show them.....I only weigh 210. The issue can be felt/heard in the seat during acceleration and deceleration with various speeds. It is also there when you get in or out of the car. This was not present when we originally took delivery of the car and have only had it for less than a month. This leads me to believe that something was maybe not tightened correctly initially and is now maybe warped to the point of not being able to be corrected without replacement. If it continues I will push for replacement of the seat. What really sucks is that the wife and I are supposed to go on a 15 hour trip to Colorado at the first of October so their time is running out to fix before I leave. I will not go on a trip with this seat.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:27 PM
Loccusst
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
So an update. Took the car in yesterday and even though they had the car all day, they couldn't "Duplicate" the problem. I left work early so I could get there before they closed and proceeded to show the service advisor, even though the tech had been shown previously, what was going on. He decided to have us go check out a new Clubman without the lumbar support and there was no sound from the seat. Then he pulled around another Clubman but this time with the lumbar support like in our car and it was making worse noise than ours. He messed around with the lumbar as I moved around in the seat and when the lumbar was maxed out the seat was at it's loudest. We then went into the showroom to try a seat with lumbar in the F55 mini and no noise. So today after contacting Mini on a possible issue with all Clubman with the sport seats and lumbar support he found out that they had not heard anything on this issue yet. After our testing of a few seats and every single sport seat with lumbar causing this noise i am sure they will be getting complaints soon. So they stripped my seat down to the frame. This revealed what very well may be a bad design flaw in the lumbar area. The lumbar mechanism is connected to the seat without anything in between the metal hooks it uses to connect to the rest of the seat. Basically it's just metal on metal moving parts. right now the dealership is trying to find grommets that will work to isolate the components from each other. I recommended trying to using nylon bushings since they would not breakdown like rubber ones will. I will find out more tomorrow hopefully.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:13 AM
shorenetworks
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Add me to the list sunroof started rattling this morning car only has 8800 miles on it will add to the growing list of issues with this car.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:51 AM
ranger052
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hi guys,

My 3 months old mini is making a horrible noise too when entering sideways :( noise seems yo be the sunroof because if I open it just a bit the noise is gone :( oh man I hate this :(

Has anyone her gotten their sunroof replaced? If so any issues after that? Like more rattles due to all the dismantling of the interior to replace the sunroof?

Old 03-03-2017, 05:09 PM
rk15000
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone had a creaking noise come from the steering column while turning?

I have 32K on my F56 S now and when I turn the wheel left or right, I hear a squeaky/creaking plastic noise like something inside the column shroud is rubbing.

Luckily it seems to be localized to the interior. It also happens more when the car is cold, probably because the plastic contracts due to the temperature and exacerbates the noise.

I'll be asking the dealer about it next time I bring it in for service. So annoying!

Old 03-07-2017, 05:54 PM
Kazmini
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For anyone who's as crazy about little noises as I am, guess what! Built in September, leased by me Jan 28, a '17 Cooper S--with a noise originating from the piece that covers the seatbelt connection RIGHT NEXT TO MY LEFT EAR. That piece of trim was just put on like junk, because when I put my hand on it, it stops rattling--and I'm too afraid to take it to dealer and ask them to make it stop because I risk them putting it back on worse than the factory...

fml.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:21 PM
min-e-man
Neutral
Hey guys,

Traded in my '06 R53 for a '15 F56 a few months ago. I hear some creaks as I go in driveways from the sunroof sometimes, but not as bad as some people in this thread have made it seem. There is one noise that keeps coming up that I haven't been able to figure out. The sunroof shade might be it, but it seems lower than that. Sitting at idle there's a tap a tap a tap that's not squeaky or creaky. I listened outside the car and can't hear anything so it must be inside. Someone was in the back seat today and asked what that noise was today so then I knew it wasn't just me hearing things. I should do some more investigating, but I thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas. I also get high pitched squeaks from my rear breaks when I first set off after not being in the car for a day or so. They usually go away after a little bit of driving. I've noticed it's worse when its cold or the car has sat in the rain.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:42 AM
activehybrid
1st Gear
The head rest thing in the back for passengers are rattling, you need to have them vertical position or remove.

In addition, rattling is normal when you put to many standalone pieces.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:12 PM
hp79
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm having rattles coming out from the front dome speaker/vent area, and behind the ignition switch area. They might actually be the same source but I can't see anything and don't want to tear the front panels. Maybe I'll ask the dealer to do something.

I had tons of small rattles from the door speakers and door panel. Every time you squeeze the speaker cover on the door you could hear it creaking like crazy. I put little bit of silicone grease and it's gone.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:32 PM
emans
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hp79
Did you ever get this fixed? My 2015 F56 had rattles in the rear, I think it's from that spot you pointed. I just stuffed a used cloth inside there like a year ago and then didn't pay attention to it. I think that solved it, but it might be that I haven't driven enough lately and not noticing it.

Last time I drove my F56 was to replace the leaking rain sensor gel from the front mirror. I could hear rattles from the door speaker grille. I don't know why they make it so flimsy. It's only been couple days and my rain sensor gel pack is leaking again. I wiped it off this time with the cover taken off. I'll keep an eye on it and probably take it back if I see it more than 10cm of the gel leaking on the windshield.
Did you ever have any resolution to your problem? I'm having a vibrating noise from around that area on slightly rough roads.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:50 AM
hp79
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by emans
Did you ever have any resolution to your problem? I'm having a vibrating noise from around that area on slightly rough roads.
Just before my warranty expired, I took it to the dealer one last time, and they did some extensive rattle mitigation job here and there. But they couldn't fix all of it. I still have rattles.
I can see some cloth tape that were placed between places.

The speaker grill part is a really bad design, it creaks after a little bit, especially if you keep your car clean. The 2019 models have different speaker grill and the door trims are different so that they don't make those awful noise anymore.

I still get rattles coming from behind the center console. It was loose and that was also part of the treatment.

Old 12-16-2019, 06:17 PM
Imperial
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Rear of my 2016 MCS makes a "stomp-like" when I drive slowly over the speed bumps diagonally. This makes one rear wheel go over the bump first, then the other. I was thinking it could be body flex that makes rear trunk lid shift but I checked the adjustments of rubber stoppers. What could it be?
I took it to the dealers and guy drove the car and I don't know if he drove it like I do, but we didn't hear the noise with him driving. The trunk is empty and all seems fine internally.

Old 12-16-2019, 07:11 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
You should have driven it as well. Could also be having two riders balances car, does it happen when you have a Passenger?

Could be lots of things, did they put it on a lift and check suspension for loose parts?

The following users liked this post:
Imperial (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 07:46 PM
Imperial
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
You should have driven it as well. Could also be having two riders balances car, does it happen when you have a Passenger?

Could be lots of things, did they put it on a lift and check suspension for loose parts?
1) So driving with passenger makes the same noise. 2) I should have driven the car that day instead of the tech. Less than a month ago, I was at the dealer and they did alignment as car was pulling to the left a bit and it was corrected. Don't they check suspension parts before doing alignment?

- My car has dynamic dampers so I will put it in Sport tomorrow and re-test as it should tighten shocks. If it will not make the noise then I can for sure rule out the trunk moving when car flexes.
Some forums mentioned that the above mentioned dampers go back and make the noise. Will try to capture the sound as well

Old 12-16-2019, 11:12 PM
Imperial
3rd Gear
Here is the sound file:
When I drive it sounds like stomp/knock.

Attached Files
File Type: mp3
sound.mp3 (1.44 MB, 96 views)
Old 12-21-2019, 02:09 PM
Imperial
3rd Gear
Anyone knows which torx bit is needed to tighten the bolt of the swivel part that driver/passenger seat belt goes through? As I understand it is the B-Pillar and it is either T-50 or a bit lower. Need the info for MCS 2016

Old 01-09-2020, 08:21 PM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
My hatch is pretty squeaky and rattly on cold mornings on certain rough roads. Plus various rattles and squeaks that I couldn't really pinpoint. Applied some "Gummi Pflege Stift", and it's much, much better!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004B8GTQG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004B8GTQG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 02-27-2020, 01:38 PM
joemysterio
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Have I not posted in here before? My MCS is full of noises, a couple I caused like when I replaced flood lights with Mini Logo that caused incessant rattling/buzzing and installed a aftermarket camera, the a pillar trim on the passenger side I pried open a bit to slide cable into but now it squeaks like hell, temporarily used unused velcro and wedged between the A pillar and dashboard (still makes some noise but much less).

The worst of the noise is coming from somewhere in the sun roof, it rattles SO freaking much. Like something is loose inside jangling and rattling around. Then I have a random electrical hum coming from the passenger side. My gas pedal clicks when pressing, not the noise it makes when you left off it quickly. There's a buzzing next to my head somewhere that I can't seem to pinpoint. Other random knocks in the rear passenger area that I'm unable to pinpoint because I'm driving. I have a loud thud somewhere in the front of the car when I hit bad bumps in the road or drive into a driveway too fast. I HAD a loud thud in the back but found that the RSB bushings were bad so I swapped to a 22mm solid RSB. It's overwhelming and depressing... it makes my 4 year old car sound like a piece of crap budget car from 40 years ago. Hilariously, my local Mini dealer claimed they couldn't hear any noise at all.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:03 PM
Imperial
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by joemysterio
Have I not posted in here before? My MCS is full of noises, a couple I caused like when I replaced flood lights with Mini Logo that caused incessant rattling/buzzing and installed a aftermarket camera, the a pillar trim on the passenger side I pried open a bit to slide cable into but now it squeaks like hell, temporarily used unused velcro and wedged between the A pillar and dashboard (still makes some noise but much less).

The worst of the noise is coming from somewhere in the sun roof, it rattles SO freaking much. Like something is loose inside jangling and rattling around. Then I have a random electrical hum coming from the passenger side. My gas pedal clicks when pressing, not the noise it makes when you left off it quickly. There's a buzzing next to my head somewhere that I can't seem to pinpoint. Other random knocks in the rear passenger area that I'm unable to pinpoint because I'm driving. I have a loud thud somewhere in the front of the car when I hit bad bumps in the road or drive into a driveway too fast. I HAD a loud thud in the back but found that the RSB bushings were bad so I swapped to a 22mm solid RSB. It's overwhelming and depressing... it makes my 4 year old car sound like a piece of crap budget car from 40 years ago. Hilariously, my local Mini dealer claimed they couldn't hear any noise at all.
That is the norm if your dealer can't hear abnormal noises. I went through this recently. Few posts up (#166) I mentioned thump/clunk noise came from the back and it was I believe the center rear shock nut, then one that holds upper shock mount to the shock(rod). Dealer didn't hear the noise but one of the techs did hear something but I doubt he heard the noise I was referring too. So tech decided to troubleshot and ordered rear shocks from Germany but when installed them, didn't notice the difference so he removed them and put my original shocks back on the car. But before doing that he just in case tightened all nuts and bolts including the center nut I mentioned earlier. By doing this, the car stopped clunking. Wonder why that center rod nut would come loose and if this so-called fix will be permanent or temp.

-My car does have that passenger seat belt area metal rattle sound but it comes and goes depending on the asphalt quality(still annoying). Will get to it soon enough.
-The other I believe is coming from lower rear trunk lid plastic trim. There are 4 pieces: top section with 3rd stop/brake light; the right and left side trim where parcel shelve hangs and that lower big piece. I took the upper and side trim panels and applied thin and narrow foam tape around the perimeter of these pieces. Some noise is still there and this is the lower part of the trunk lid where I haven't done anything yet.(I may or may not as this part is the largest piece.)
-Noise comes from center circle infotainment system area but that is rare and not worth opening that plastic trim.
-At times there could be some faint sound from driver door/B pillar area but this too rare
-When I bough the car used, there was rattle coming from C pillar on my 4 door cooper. I took both left and right trim panels off and applied felt tape on few points that come into contact with vehicle body.
-Armrest has some noise, but I applied some felt tape on rubber pads giving it a more tight closure.

See if some of the noises are similar with your car.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:50 PM
joemysterio
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Imperial
That is the norm if your dealer can't hear abnormal noises. I went through this recently. Few posts up (#166) I mentioned thump/clunk noise came from the back and it was I believe the center rear shock nut, then one that holds upper shock mount to the shock(rod). Dealer didn't hear the noise but one of the techs did hear something but I doubt he heard the noise I was referring too. So tech decided to troubleshot and ordered rear shocks from Germany but when installed them, didn't notice the difference so he removed them and put my original shocks back on the car. But before doing that he just in case tightened all nuts and bolts including the center nut I mentioned earlier. By doing this, the car stopped clunking. Wonder why that center rod nut would come loose and if this so-called fix will be permanent or temp.

-My car does have that passenger seat belt area metal rattle sound but it comes and goes depending on the asphalt quality(still annoying). Will get to it soon enough.
-The other I believe is coming from lower rear trunk lid plastic trim. There are 4 pieces: top section with 3rd stop/brake light; the right and left side trim where parcel shelve hangs and that lower big piece. I took the upper and side trim panels and applied thin and narrow foam tape around the perimeter of these pieces. Some noise is still there and this is the lower part of the trunk lid where I haven't done anything yet.(I may or may not as this part is the largest piece.)
-Noise comes from center circle infotainment system area but that is rare and not worth opening that plastic trim.
-At times there could be some faint sound from driver door/B pillar area but this too rare
-When I bough the car used, there was rattle coming from C pillar on my 4 door cooper. I took both left and right trim panels off and applied felt tape on few points that come into contact with vehicle body.
-Armrest has some noise, but I applied some felt tape on rubber pads giving it a more tight closure.

See if some of the noises are similar with your car.
Ah I totally forgot about the armrest. It was so loose. I had some devices at work that had the optional rubber feet stick-ons that weren't being used. I noticed the excess edges were narrow and just the right thickness. I cut to size and put those on and got rid of the loose play on the arm rest. That was annoying when I had them upright and would hear that rattle around when the car was idle, it was actually comical.

As for the sun roof, I plan on taking it all apart and trying my best to fix this issue myself. That's how it's been so far as my dealer is unreliable. In the process, I'll be insulating what I can as I have found that on some occasion, the trim around the sun roof windows and the console above the rear view mirror can make some noises but at least that's infrequent. What type of felt tape did you use?

Old 02-27-2020, 03:19 PM
Imperial
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by joemysterio
Ah I totally forgot about the armrest. It was so loose. I had some devices at work that had the optional rubber feet stick-ons that weren't being used. I noticed the excess edges were narrow and just the right thickness. I cut to size and put those on and got rid of the loose play on the arm rest. That was annoying when I had them upright and would hear that rattle around when the car was idle, it was actually comical.

As for the sun roof, I plan on taking it all apart and trying my best to fix this issue myself. That's how it's been so far as my dealer is unreliable. In the process, I'll be insulating what I can as I have found that on some occasion, the trim around the sun roof windows and the console above the rear view mirror can make some noises but at least that's infrequent. What type of felt tape did you use?
I car doesn't have sun roof, so no noise related to that. I would suggest you to lube the moving parts with a ticker grease that is designed for metal. Possibly grease for bearing should work. See if that grease will somehow fill/eliminate the gaps in moving metal parts and stop the noise at least temporarily...this way you will know if that was the cause.

I have used different tapes depending what I needed to work with:

C-Pillar, armrest and a little bit in the trunk area - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Used as padding for trunk lid trim - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Some thin spots or for keeping the wire tight - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quick Reply: F56 find the rattles!