F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

F56 find the rattles!

Old 11-12-2014, 10:19 AM
jorafagoro
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I notice that when it's cold does more than when it's hot, but it always does.

Just put in first gear and drop the clutch fairly quickly and there comes the beat and is not necessary to let go the whole clutch, just when it starts to pick up.

I've talked to my seller, I have to take the car there, not only left the car there because I have to take off the B48 Stage 1 BETA

Old 11-12-2014, 10:36 AM
Crimguy
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've got 2 new rattles. 5700 miles

First one seems to be the hard plastic trim on the door - the shiny black swoosh. Apparently has loosened up just a bit causing a creak. I wanted to replace this trim with cc'd volcanic orange but I have a feeling that's inviting even more rattles.

Second one is somewhere around the seatbelt anchor behind the drivers side door.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:17 PM
TX1911fan
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Crimguy
I've got 2 new rattles. 5700 miles

First one seems to be the hard plastic trim on the door - the shiny black swoosh. Apparently has loosened up just a bit causing a creak. I wanted to replace this trim with cc'd volcanic orange but I have a feeling that's inviting even more rattles.

Second one is somewhere around the seatbelt anchor behind the drivers side door.
Question--how does one go about replacing the shiny back swoosh on the door? And are there alternatives? I am going to replace my dash trim with Dark Cottonwood, and am wondering if I can do something with that shiny black.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:50 PM
Crimguy
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Aliexpress had trim in a number of colors. How to remove/replace is unknown to me. I intended to research it when the time came.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:30 AM
g34343greg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by g34343greg
I took mine in on Monday for this incredibly annoying noise. Of course it wouldn't do it when I took the tech for a ride around the block. I don't know if it was because o had driven an hour to get there and everything was warm or what. They kept it overnight and of course they couldn't hear anything. I'm supposed to be picking it up today so hopefully I can recreate the noise since it'll be cold. If it does I'm leaving it again. If I can't, then I'll make a video of it and take it back again. Oh and they decided the other rattle was something in my glovebox. It wasn't as I had emptied everything and it still made the noise so I put all of my crap back in.
Well I went to pick up my car last night since the lady on the phone told me the tech didn't hear anything. I planned to try again before taking it but when I got there she gave me the paper so sign which said he DID hear the noise and decided it was normal since two other new cars they had did it. He claimed it had to do with lugging the engine! Really?! Lugging the engine would be the cause of a clunking noise that I can hear while rolling at idle in neutral on rather smooth pavement???

Anyways we went for a ride together and it was making the noise. He said that this is the same one he heard. So they're keeping it a little longer and he's going to contact bmw or something. I'm really not sure why they couldn't do this sometime between 10am on Tuesday when she called to say he couldn't hear anything and 4pm Wednesday when I got there.

Also not sure why I was told he didn't hear the noise when he did and it was documented that he did. That way if they had given me this BS reason over the phone I could've told them they were wrong without making a trip to the dealership for nothing.

I just hope they fix it! I want my F56 back!
This auto non-S coupe is a turd.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:53 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Didn't you have some other problem with one of those cars? You hate to get the age old "blame the customer" schtick from dealers. Like the classic "you put in bad gas" when the high pressure fuel pump fails.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:29 AM
g34343greg
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Didn't you have some other problem with one of those cars? You hate to get the age old "blame the customer" schtick from dealers. Like the classic "you put in bad gas" when the high pressure fuel pump fails.
Mine? No the only other problem if you can call it that is that it doesn't rev match second hear but it seems that none of the'15 S models do.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:10 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I just hope they fix it! I want my F56 back!
This auto non-S coupe is a turd.
So there's quite a difference in the R58 Justa and your F56 Justa in terms of performance? How do you like the look of the Coupe btw? One think I notice is the rear window view is really limited. Takes getting used to.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:39 AM
g34343greg
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
So there's quite a difference in the R58 Justa and your F56 Justa in terms of performance? How do you like the look of the Coupe btw? One think I notice is the rear window view is really limited. Takes getting used to.
We have two F56 cars. Mine is a manual S, the wife has an auto justa. The new 1.5 is in a while other league compared to the coupe I'm driving. The 1.5 has so much more torque and doesn't strain or scream. It also sounds much nicer and it seems like the torque converter is able to stay locked more often so it doesn't have they usual "slush box" feel.

I really like the look of the coupe although the hatchback is more practical for us with two dogs. Visibility isn't great but there's worse out there for sure. The interior makes me appreciate the F56 more too. This coupe has a hard steering wheel that feels cheap. Also I know the purists will hate me but I don't like the window switches and locks in the middle. I also never look at the center speedo and just rely on the digital display in the tach.

Last edited by g34343greg; 11-13-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:06 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyinghippo
I too have a right rear rattle, found out it's the rear passenger side seat belt clip against the hard plastic under the window. My sport suspension has a tendency to bring out a lot of knocks.
I was on a bumpy road the other night and heard a light rattle sound next to my left ear. It sounded like the back window, or maybe something in the seatbelt. I thought of this post.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:22 PM
g34343greg
4th Gear
They replaced the lower control arm bushings on the right side to cure the clunky noise I was getting with the clutch and low speed bumps.
It seems to have done the trick. The tech called mini and they had seen this before and told him to replace them as he actually couldn't find anything.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:58 AM
miniMTL
1st Gear
im hearing some rattle in the cargo area, right side... could it be the tool kit? is it something i should remove?

Old 11-21-2014, 01:18 PM
g34343greg
4th Gear
Originally Posted by miniMTL
im hearing some rattle in the cargo area, right side... could it be the tool kit? is it something i should remove?
I doubt it's the tool kit but that's an easy one to test. Either remove it, strap it down tighter or wrap rags around the tools.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:10 AM
g34343greg
4th Gear
Originally Posted by miniMTL
Did you ever figure out what this noise was? I'm starting to think this is the area where I have a weird sound coming from.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:27 AM
miniMTL
1st Gear
Did you ever figure out what this noise was? I'm starting to think this is the area where I have a weird sound coming from.
Actually I havent. But I noticed its more prominent when cold. i have reverted to blasting the volume on my stereo to drown the sound

Old 12-15-2014, 05:26 PM
randomquickness
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have one coming from the back, seems like it's in the interior panel on the boot...(not the license plate, that's the first thing I checked) it's driving me crazy as it's loud enough to hear even with music up. I'm gonna have the dealership check it out when I go in for my 5k miles oil change and hopefully they can find it. If not, looks like I'll be taking the boot apart until I do.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:32 PM
MidnightF56
3rd Gear
I consistently have an annoying high-pitched squeak from the suspension, on impact when driving (doesn't matter what speed) over those little yellow plastic speed strips they're placing in parking garages now? It will also occasionally happen over a manhole cover, as well.

Does anyone else have this?

Old 12-15-2014, 08:22 PM
Spoooolin
1st Gear
Two publications just got released this month for the F56, one is for a panoramic roof noise, the other is a squeak in the front one, which they describe as a control arm bearing.
I ve yet to see either of these come into the dealership, so I am not of much help.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:23 PM
Spoooolin
1st Gear
Originally Posted by randomquickness
I have one coming from the back, seems like it's in the interior panel on the boot...(not the license plate, that's the first thing I checked) it's driving me crazy as it's loud enough to hear even with music up. I'm gonna have the dealership check it out when I go in for my 5k miles oil change and hopefully they can find it. If not, looks like I'll be taking the boot apart until I do.

I had one like that a month or two ago. It was tricky. Ended up being the seat belt in the back, the part that retracts. That was fun.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:16 AM
g34343greg
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Spoooolin
Two publications just got released this month for the F56, one is for a panoramic roof noise, the other is a squeak in the front one, which they describe as a control arm bearing. I ve yet to see either of these come into the dealership, so I am not of much help.
I had my control arm bushing replaced. It was causing a clunking going over bumps at low speeds and when letting up the clutch. I posted about it earlier in this thread.
Originally Posted by Spoooolin
I had one like that a month or two ago. It was tricky. Ended up being the seat belt in the back, the part that retracts. That was fun.
What part was it? Like the buckle itself?

I still have this persistent noise on the right side of the car. I hear it going over bumps. It has a hollow plasticky sound to it. The wife swears she can't hear it. Maybe my brain is loose.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:27 AM
kongjie
1st Gear
I was noticing a rattle whenever my wife wasn't in the front passenger seat (she said the same--she hears it if no one is with her). It seem like it was the headrest. However, after I got the spare tire recall done, the rattle seems to have disappeared, so maybe it was that?

Old 12-18-2014, 10:33 AM
spmahoney78
2nd Gear
I was hearing I slight thumping coming from the boot, dealer just informed me of service bulletin and they are special ordering new shocks.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:07 AM
MiniSquirty
2nd Gear
I've got a creaking sound when I go over speed bumps at slow speeds. It's especially loud when I go over bumps at an angle. Almost sounds like the sound an old door makes. Could this be the panoramic sunroof? Seems to be coming from either the doors or the headliner.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:00 AM
unijambiste027
Neutral
I had rattling coming from the middle of the dash and another place a could not pinpoint. I finally pinpointed one of the rattle to be coming out of the mode selector around the shifter(manual model) at low speed or while going over bumps. If i touch the ring, it stops the rattling... well this one. For all the other dash rattling I had, I fixed them by using armorall wipes on the dash. My wife pointed out I was using a cleaner that actually remove grease so our theory was that because the dash was too dry, it would rattle. Crossing my fingers but so far, I can enjoy the silence in my mini

Old 01-10-2015, 06:52 AM
Mjay
1st Gear
Originally Posted by spmahoney78
I was hearing I slight thumping coming from the boot, dealer just informed me of service bulletin and they are special ordering new shocks.
I have the same problem, when are they going to install the new shocks?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F56 find the rattles!