R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

dashboard rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 08:49 PM
JasonCarp
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dashboard rattle

I know it has been discussed on here before, but recently that rattle under the dash behind the center speedo has gotten worse. Sometimes it rattles right on start up. during most types of acceleration, and rough roads. Hear it over the radio now.

Asked 3-4 months ago about it at the dealer, and my SA told me the service bulletin on it simply said, "no fix available" I am already considering what I would trade this in on if it can't be fixed. I love the car, but I don't think I can keep this car long term with such a cheapening problem.

Would really like to get to the bottom of this. Has anyone had any updates? I am nearing 30K miles and have a service bulletin for a check coming on, and would like to discuss with my SA.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:05 PM
RoyalR60
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you checked the red battery cover (inside the top right corner cover) under the hood?

Old 11-21-2012, 09:53 AM
PepeR60
2nd Gear
The battery cover is often the problem as Royal mentioned. I'm pretty certain that I have read that there was a bulletin stating that a wire in the dash wasn't tied down correctly and there was a fix for this. I'll see if I can locate that.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:09 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
I had an identical, anoying rattle from the right side of the dash. On a scheduled visit I asked my service advisor to take a look.....No service bulletins posted but they took the time to pull the dash apart and re-assemble. Still there... I mentioned about some posts on NAM and possible issues around the battery. Make a long story short, several wires leading to the battery box were rubbing others and other parts. They re-wrapped the harness....and the rest is history. They did mention they had to write it up as ............... Not sure what but 2 plus days looking for a noise issue would not of went over well with Mini. Again I thank my service department for looking out for what's best for me and not neccesserily Mr. Mini.
Hope this helps...........

Old 08-02-2013, 12:59 PM
MikeZ50
Neutral
I just purchased CMS and have about 600 miles on it. I have an annoying rattle that seems to come from the ceiling console (black plastic piece coming out from the map lights/sunroof switch) - when it starts buzzing, I press on it and it seems to stop. I think I am going to lose my mind! Will check other suggestions here since it is so hard to isolate the source of a rattle at times. Has anyone had a rattle like I described?

Old 08-02-2013, 03:52 PM
fkelly5
2nd Gear
I feel your pain but encourage you to REALLY look long and hard around your car for the rattles. Mine was driving me crazy and I took it to the dealer. The culprit- my garage door opener attached to my sunvisor. Took it off and no more rattles........All I could do was last for a few days. Still chuckle today when I think about it. HA

Old 08-02-2013, 04:21 PM
detours
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeZ50
I just purchased CMS and have about 600 miles on it. I have an annoying rattle that seems to come from the ceiling console (black plastic piece coming out from the map lights/sunroof switch) - when it starts buzzing, I press on it and it seems to stop. I think I am going to lose my mind! Will check other suggestions here since it is so hard to isolate the source of a rattle at times. Has anyone had a rattle like I described?
The only ceiling area rattle I've heard of was in this thread, https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...of-rattle.html.

It's related to the sunroof drain plug, but somehow the rattling sound travels up to the front (probably up the drain lines).

Old 11-13-2013, 02:59 PM
necamica
Neutral
Any update on this?
I have same issue. It does not rattle all the time, but with a bumpy road - especially at highway speed. Some highway with not so smooth road condition I will start hearing the rattle. It seems to come from the ceiling console and I also touched to silence it.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:51 AM
Elmj
3rd Gear

Same noise for me , also sounds like it's coming from ceiling console, I've popped it off and I can't find anything that would make this noise. But it's annoying as hell and makes the car sound cheap.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:49 PM
Paconyc
1st Gear
Same issue for me. Although sometimes the rattle sounds like it is coming from the defogger vents in the dash...other times the ceiling. It also is not constant - sometimes its there and sometimes not. Usually when I have decided that I want the dealer to find and fix the rattle - the car cabin is silent.

The rattle is damn annoying and has made me question the build quality of the cars. But I bought one of the early builds - hopefully they resolved this issue in the later CMS models.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:01 AM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a rattle in my car where the throbbing security light is. I also need to silicone some plastic bits in the sunroof area.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:04 AM
watchluvr4ever
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a rattle in my 13' All 4. I noticed it for the first time the other day coming down my road on the way home. It sounds like it's coming from up above. My road is bumpy and that is the only time I notice it.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
This thread inspired me to silicone up my rattle spots. Sounds better!

I am however, puzzled by a clutch related noise that is annoying, but very subtle. Please have a look at the thread I started on it as I don't want to muddle this one. Thanks! https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3848853

Last edited by Ian Landesman; 12-01-2013 at 01:38 PM. Reason: added link
Old 12-14-2013, 11:05 AM
enigmaintx
1st Gear
I have the same rattle, and when I push up on the ceiling switch console, it stops rattling. Does anyone have a procedure for removing the ceiling mounted switch console? I don't just want to tear it down and risk breaking something, and thus would appreciate a hint as to how to properly remove it to investigate the rattle.

TIA,
Peter

Old 12-14-2013, 12:06 PM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by enigmaintx
I have the same rattle, and when I push up on the ceiling switch console, it stops rattling. Does anyone have a procedure for removing the ceiling mounted switch console? I don't just want to tear it down and risk breaking something, and thus would appreciate a hint as to how to properly remove it to investigate the rattle. TIA, Peter
Do you two have sunroof or no sunroof?

Old 12-14-2013, 02:52 PM
enigmaintx
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Ian Landesman
Do you two have sunroof or no sunroof?
No sunroof on mine.

Cheers.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:31 PM
mstover
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by enigmaintx
No sunroof on mine.

Cheers.
Did you ever find a fix to the rattle in the upper plastic area where the switches are? I have a '14, dual sunroof and it has the same rattle. It goes into the shop tomorrow to fix this one and another in the center console.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:35 PM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call a Doctor....

Really, find a Stethoscope. They actually make them for finding rattles in cars. They are helpful. You can't always pinpoint it with plain ears. Just saying.

I had a car that had one and I opted for that Home Depot stuff, comes in a can and fills an area with foam, looks like whip cream and then hardens. Fixed rattle. Maybe not the most professional, but who looks behind the instruments to see?

If I get a rattle I am borrowing my daughters real stereoscope. You would be amazed how off you can be while driving and listening. Them foam helped too. And can be removed.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:57 PM
wailone
Neutral
Thumbs up simple dash rattle fix...

Guys -

I recently bought a 2008 R56 for my daughter - (or me...) and love the car for all the quirks and nuances! I didn't love the dash rattle on the upper right side and more toward the middle of the dash. It was very pronounced over minor lane change bumps and any bump in the road. (as stated - colder temps exaggerated the issue) As I sat in the passenger seat I was determined to find the issue as I am an admitted FREAK when it comes to interior noises and rattles. When I pushed on the dash I could get it stop and then let go and it would come right back. I did tons of looking on-line and couldn’t find much in the way of solutions short of disassembling the entire dash and wrapping touch points etc. I didn’t even want to think about that option – so…. I decided to find something to insert between the windshield and dashboard that would not take up too much room and be flexible enough to not cause more rubbing etc.

I found these rubber noodle type inserts left over from something that was shipped to our school and thought they would be the perfect material. Indeed – I sliced them in half and did a test run “literally”. I then cut them about 2 inches tall and cut a hole in one end and put a string through the hole. Inserted it (shoved) down in between the dash and the windshield – I was surprised that it went down in about an inch and it would not go down very far in the middle so I left it slightly out. I took it for a test drive and was amazed – no rattles and the entire car was instantly tighter! So – came back and cut the piece about 2 inches short of center on the right and left and about 1 inch sections (tall/ wide) and went for it. They are not visible when you are in the vehicle and they are the exact depth needed to take up the slack to take care of the rattles. This took 5 minutes and it was too easy to not post! I am going to attach some pics of the material – good luck – I’m sure there are some other materials that you might find. If you run into a snag – maybe I could spare some pieces. Keep me posted and let me know if this helps anyone else win the rattle battle.

Attached Thumbnails dashboard rattle-cooper-dash-rbr-1.jpg   dashboard rattle-cooper-dash-rbr-2.jpg  
Old 04-15-2014, 04:42 PM
Ripnem
Neutral
I've been chasing rattles. One rattle that I finally figured out just may be the mystery yet to be solved here. I didn't read every post, but... So the airbag caps on the left and right sides of the windshield rattle when it's cold.
Talk radio gets something going in the right doors. They replaced the rear right side speakers and it may have gotten worse.
Then not long ago, something behind the middle spedo started rattling when I am slowing down (20-30 mph)

So Now that its warm, I can crack the windows and crank toons.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:08 PM
enigmaintx
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mstover
Did you ever find a fix to the rattle in the upper plastic area where the switches are? I have a '14, dual sunroof and it has the same rattle. It goes into the shop tomorrow to fix this one and another in the center console.
Well...Sorry about that, I missed seeing this sooner.

I did manage to fix the vibration induced rattle in the ceiling mounted switch/map light console. I pulled off the clear map light lenses, then gently / carefully pried off the black console cover extending back from the switch panel. I cut pieces of sticky backed stiff felt (purchased a couple of sheets from Michaels a few years ago to do the same rattle suppression treatment to my other cars) to fit on the sides of the tabs that hold the console plate up. Also cut very narrow pieces to line the edge of the console plate that makes contact with the portion mounted in the ceiling. That way the edges of the plastic console plate are isolated from the plastic mount in the ceiling. Now when I tap on the plate with my finger I hear a more muted thud instead of a plastic on plastic tap sound. For the map lights, I cut and placed a small piece of the sticky backed felt on the switch plate sides so that it sits between the switch plate and the map light lenses.

I've also strategically placed pieces of the sticky felt between other plastic panels to isolate them and dampen plastic to plastic noise throughout the rest of the car. It's still a work in progress, but I've got most of the rattle points isolated. There is one rattle, or rather more like a single TAP or POP that I hear to my right rear when the right rear tire goes over a bump or a concrete road section transition to another section at slower speeds (10 to 40 mph). I need to take it in soon for maintenance, so I'm going to have the dealership try to find that one and fix it.