R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Grinding noise when drive at low speed after car sitting for hours

Old 05-28-2012, 07:23 PM
TheCarMania
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Grinding noise when drive at low speed after car sitting for hours

Hi guys, first of all, i have a countryman base, got the car in April/2012, brand new, 1200 miles so far. My countryman started to make a strange grinding noise last month when the car only had about 400 miles on it. It only happens after the car sitting for a few hours, weather doesnt matter, it will make the grinding noise either in cold or hot weather. It happens at low speed, about 20miles/hour, it doesnt come from brakes, it sounded like something is rotating and making that sound, very dry and rubbing that kind of noise, the noise will last about 10-15 seconds, then its gone, and my car will operate normal. it only happens everytime when the car is sitting for a few hours. I dont know what caused the problem, it doesnt sound like the abs self testing or anyother testing noise. Anyone has a thought about it? THANKS!

Old 05-29-2012, 05:01 AM
kconner5
4th Gear
Could it be a fan just powering up to full power for some reason? If it is, you probably want to have your cars thermostat sensor checked, they do tend to go bad... Just speculation

Kyle

Old 05-29-2012, 09:53 AM
shark715
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Could it be rust forming on the rotors? My Mercedes SLK does that, although it usually must be sitting for a few days (and more likely in humid or wet weather).

Old 05-29-2012, 11:29 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would also guess a little rust on the brakes that cleans off after a couple brake applications.
You can test by spraying water on the rotors then letting them dry to form rust. You should be able to see the rust on the rotor. Then drive the car to see if the noise is present. Then softly apply the brakes to scrap off the rust to see if the noise goes away.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:20 PM
TheCarMania
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kconner5
Could it be a fan just powering up to full power for some reason? If it is, you probably want to have your cars thermostat sensor checked, they do tend to go bad... Just speculation

Kyle
Hi Kyle, thanks, I originally thought it could be the fan making the noise, but after a close look and test, the fan appears to be working fine. The noise sounded like 2 parts are rubbing each other, and it did get louder when I speed up, but it only last about 20 secs, then it will be gone afterward. Anyways, I can't make the judgement so I dropped off my car at the dealer today, they told me they will have an answer tomorrow. The car is so new, under 1400 miles and I had it about 6 weeks so far. I will keep you all posted on this issue.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:23 PM
TheCarMania
1st Gear
Originally Posted by quikmni
I would also guess a little rust on the brakes that cleans off after a couple brake applications.
You can test by spraying water on the rotors then letting them dry to form rust. You should be able to see the rust on the rotor. Then drive the car to see if the noise is present. Then softly apply the brakes to scrap off the rust to see if the noise goes away.
Thanks for the reply, the first time I hear this noise, I have the rotors all checked and they appear in excellent condition. Certainly in my case, it's not the rotors, the noise is different from the rust noise. I guess I will just wait on the dealer feedback, I recorded a video on my Iphone, I dont know how to post it here.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:27 PM
TheCarMania
1st Gear
Originally Posted by shark715
Could it be rust forming on the rotors? My Mercedes SLK does that, although it usually must be sitting for a few days (and more likely in humid or wet weather).

Thanks Shark! I dont think the noise is from the rotors tho. The noise is from underneath of the car, and it doesnt from any of the wheels. From my limited experience, I cant figuare out the source of the noise coming from.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:20 PM
TheCarMania
1st Gear
http://youtu.be/tcSww3t2T9A

here is a link, i posted on youtube, so you could have an idea what the noise sounds like, turn your volume up to hear it as the clip was recorded on my phone. There is a woof woof woof.... noise through the video when the car is running.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:40 PM
TheCarMania
1st Gear
Guys, I got the car back from the shop last Friday, they cound not duplicate the noise when the car was in the shop and sitted over night. They inspected the whole car and could not find the problem, they lubed some parts that can potentially cause the problem, but after I got it back and drove several days this week, the noise is till there, not as bad as before, but still making that whooping sound. After car sitting for 5-6 hours, the noise will occur when driving at low speed, with my foot on the acceleater lightly, no gear changing, no braking. This will only happens after startup and the car was at low speed, it will last about 10-20 seconds, after I speed up or the car warms up, then it will be gone, and car will be driving normal. As far as I know, it's not a bad bearing, not from the wheels/brakes, its from under the hood. Please if somebody can help? here is a link for my clip. I have the car scheduled again for tomorrow morning to look into this deeper, will be glad if someone can provide some good advise before I meet and drive with the technician personally, already left the car at the dealer tonight. Thanks. http://youtu.be/tcSww3t2T9A

Old 06-08-2012, 04:49 AM
kconner5
4th Gear
Good idea posting the video... Definitely was a different sound I thought you were trying to explain... Well my thoughts are that it has something to do with the engine, because it reacts to your RPM and not your speed... My best guess is that there is a belt or chain somewhere in there that is causing this to happen... Does it make a difference if the AC compressor is on or off? Because it could have something to do with that.

Kyle

Old 06-08-2012, 05:28 AM
TheCarMania
1st Gear
Good idea posting the video... Definitely was a different sound I thought you were trying to explain... Well my thoughts are that it has something to do with the engine, because it reacts to your RPM and not your speed... My best guess is that there is a belt or chain somewhere in there that is causing this to happen... Does it make a difference if the AC compressor is on or off? Because it could have something to do with that.

Kyle
Thanks Kyle, I will let the technician check the engine and belt today, but I don't think the noise related to the AC, i tested the noise in many different ways with AC on and off. Noise is the same, still there. I drove a few other CM at the dealer, they don't make this noise, just my car. The engine idle speed is also a weird, RPM fluctuate up and down after startup. I will be driving with the technician in 30 minutes. Will let you know what caused that noise. Thanks

Old 06-08-2012, 05:51 AM
kconner5
4th Gear
Let me know what happens, also the RPMs fluctuating is probably a bad thermostat sensor... Happens on most of our cars and the dealer will just replace it with hopefully a revised version

Kyle

Old 06-08-2012, 06:42 AM
TheCarMania
1st Gear
Let me know what happens, also the RPMs fluctuating is probably a bad thermostat sensor... Happens on most of our cars and the dealer will just replace it with hopefully a revised version

Kyle
Giving everybody an update, the technician heard the noise, but he is not sure where the noise came from, we emailed the video to Mini, hopefully they can provide an answer today.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:32 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Since defects usually worsen overtime, you butt is covered....
go drive, have fun, and once it creats more sound and other symptoms, it will be easy to determine the fault. You have documented it with mini...so you are in good shape!!

Old 06-08-2012, 10:49 AM
TheCarMania
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Since defects usually worsen overtime, you butt is covered....
go drive, have fun, and once it creats more sound and other symptoms, it will be easy to determine the fault. You have documented it with mini...so you are in good shape!!

Yea, I am not going to waste any time on this if they can't fix it today, since there's no problem once the car warms up. Thanks.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Knownman
2nd Gear
That noise is too slow for the motor. It's almost at a frequency with the rotation of the tires.

Try dropping it into neutral when it starts and see if the noise remains consistant with your speed or if its tied to the rpm of the engine.

I'm thinking bearings.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:46 PM
TheCarMania
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Knownman
That noise is too slow for the motor. It's almost at a frequency with the rotation of the tires.

Try dropping it into neutral when it starts and see if the noise remains consistant with your speed or if its tied to the rpm of the engine.

I'm thinking bearings.
Thanks buddy, it's rotational related noises, dealer told me not the bearings, well, car is still at dealer over this weekend, hopefully they can provide an answer on Monday

Old 09-06-2013, 09:23 PM
maxidymini
Neutral
Question Same sound

Hi I know this is an old post but I am experiencing an almost identical sound from my 2009 6speed cooper s... After sitting for a while, grinding rotating sound at low speed. So what did they say at the shop? What was the issue and what solved the sound? If I take it in I'd like to have a few ideas to go in with. Thank you hope you get this message!

Old 09-06-2013, 11:58 PM
cosmicamnesia
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This sounds exactly like what I was just dealing with. Ended up being the timing chain tensioner after two visits. The sound would always go away by the time I was off my street and past 30mph. Thankfully replacing the chain tensioner seems to have resolved any trace of the problem. Maybe it's worth getting your dealer to check it out since it's under warranty. I'm not sure how common that problem is on the Countryman, but I know it's a common problem on the R56.