R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Engine malfunction, reduced power message?

Old 05-07-2011, 06:17 AM
lindseybp
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine malfunction, reduced power message?

Started the CM this morning and got the message on the nav screen that the engine had a malfunction and was operating under reduced power. I think it said it was ok to drive but contact dealer. Turned car off. Twenty minutes later started car and no error message at all, seemed to run fine. Anyone else experience this error?

Old 05-08-2011, 06:51 PM
mikey0630
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
me too...

I got this same error tonight..."Engine malfunction, reduced power". Brand spanking new Mini Countryman S All 4. the engine is making "putt putt" sounds. I have 150 miles on the car and it's going back to the dealership tomorrow.... *sigh*

Old 05-09-2011, 06:04 AM
ALIENLOVE
2nd Gear
Yeap I had the same next day I got the car from dealer. I was told it was from the gas which they put may be and they filled up the tank and reloaded or updated the software again which I am told my the service. Now running good no problem until now.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:06 AM
lindseybp
5th Gear
I talked to one of the service guys on Saturday and he said he had not heard of that before. He said if it's running fine now no need to bring it in but if it happens again to call him. Weird.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:21 AM
ALIENLOVE
2nd Gear
If car gave this message as engine power reduced than there should be a reason and these cars record logs of the malfunctions, you can not know when it will catch you. AT least service has to check the logs of the car in order to see what was wrong to cause that problem. It is the easy way to tell the customer to check in when problem occurs again :(

Old 05-11-2011, 05:43 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
I would bring it in to the dealer to log it in your service. What if something worse happens and dealer denies warranty because you didn't bring it in the first time even when your SA told you not to - is he really going to back you up?

Old 05-24-2011, 12:41 PM
mattmed03
2nd Gear
SAme message today...

I had the same message today. Took off from stop light and lost all power. could barely make it up hill. Called service (120 miles away!) said have roadside pick you up. I let it sit for 10-15 minutes. No help. Then let it sit for an hour and no difference still horrible noise and no power. It also was sputtering somehting fierce. Also sound like there was no spool up of the turbo when you pushed on the gas. Needless to say my 3 month old is headed to service on a flatbed. I will keep you all posted.

I jinxed myself the other day reading the troubled CM posts thinking that i have not had a problem!

Old 05-25-2011, 06:12 PM
mattmed03
2nd Gear
Heard back.

Just heard from the dealer. My malfunction was (supposedly) a misfire in cylinder 2. Ends up it was a bad spark plug. Of course they are not in stock.

My question is...I have owned many cars and never once had a "bad spark plug". This makes me a little nervous.

At least they got me a loaner locally. I live 120 miles from dealer. Also said they will flat bed car to me once done.

I will keep all informed.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:07 PM
mattmed03
2nd Gear
So more details on the service sheet...

This is what is quoted on the service sheet from technician...This wet spark plug makes me extremely nervous in a brand spanking new car.

"Hooked to ISID. Found misfires on cylinder 2. REmoved coils and sparks found #4 wet. Swapped #2 and #4 plugs. And #1 an #4 coils. Found misfires moved to cylinder 3. REmoved and inspected remained spark plugs. Found all to be wet. Replaced all 4 spark plugs and cleared faults. Test drove car. Verified no misfires after repair"

Anyone make any since of this. I'm wondering if there are some typos in the report? why does a brand new car get wet plugs? Didn't say if it was water, fuel, or oil. The service advisor said there was a crack in one plug whatever that means.

I have noticed that i have very significant carbon deposits on the exhaust...seemingly more than on my 08 Clubbie. anyone else notice this? Hope it is not related.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:32 AM
pressedmeat
Neutral
same here

I had the same dead engine problem with mine after 4 days. Had it towed back to mini, and a week later they claim its a bad fuel pump/injector. Parts on back order and no word when it'll be in. Been at the Dealer longer than with me. This my wife and my 4th mini, and could possibly be the last....I hope not.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:32 PM
HtownAg01
Neutral
I had the same issue and they also said it was a bad fuel pump. They ordered me a new one back on April 20th and it still has not come in. In the meantime I've been driving the car ever since with no repeat issues.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:42 PM
5zero4
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mattmed03
Just heard from the dealer. My malfunction was (supposedly) a misfire in cylinder 2. Ends up it was a bad spark plug. Of course they are not in stock.

My question is...I have owned many cars and never once had a "bad spark plug". This makes me a little nervous.

At least they got me a loaner locally. I live 120 miles from dealer. Also said they will flat bed car to me once done.

Not to scare you, but my 07' MCS is in the shop with a misfire on cylinder 2. The SA says it will probably be a dead piston and if it's scored the cylinder it will mean a new short motor. Fingers crossed it is....LOL

Old 06-08-2011, 06:20 PM
lindseybp
5th Gear
This is what is quoted on the service sheet from technician...This wet spark plug makes me extremely nervous in a brand spanking new car.

"Hooked to ISID. Found misfires on cylinder 2. REmoved coils and sparks found #4 wet. Swapped #2 and #4 plugs. And #1 an #4 coils. Found misfires moved to cylinder 3. REmoved and inspected remained spark plugs. Found all to be wet. Replaced all 4 spark plugs and cleared faults. Test drove car. Verified no misfires after repair"

Anyone make any since of this. I'm wondering if there are some typos in the report? why does a brand new car get wet plugs? Didn't say if it was water, fuel, or oil. The service advisor said there was a crack in one plug whatever that means.

I have noticed that i have very significant carbon deposits on the exhaust...seemingly more than on my 08 Clubbie. anyone else notice this? Hope it is not related.
The carbon deposits on the exhaust seem to be pretty standard with the CM's.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:59 PM
5zero4
4th Gear
Mine ended up just being a bad spark plug and dirty injector.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:09 AM
pa_domino
Neutral
Originally Posted by lindseybp
Started the CM this morning and got the message on the nav screen that the engine had a malfunction and was operating under reduced power. I think it said it was ok to drive but contact dealer. Turned car off. Twenty minutes later started car and no error message at all, seemed to run fine. Anyone else experience this error?
I have a new mini countryman S with 1600 miles on it wen I got the same message - car died in a parking lot. Had to have it towed in as it wouldn't re-start. Dealership said it was the high pressure fuel pump (which they said was a common problem in the first mini's). They replaced the high pressure fuel pump and the car still threw off error codes. Factory said to replace the low pressure pump (on order from Austria) and expected in early next week. More to follow

Old 06-24-2011, 06:12 AM
Mavryk03
3rd Gear

Hey matt, I have the same problem. Engine light came on on the other night when leaving work, scanned it and it said misfire in cylinder 1 and I can feelat that it had lost power. Called the dealership and they said well I can get you in on monday 27th really, so I said what about saturday,oh we ater not open on saturday what how are you not open on saturdays,90% of the work force works m-f so I have to miss some work so I can drop my CM all4 s with 1,360 miles on it and those miles have been babied. Really kind of pissed band new month and a half old and all ready having problems, my chevy truck had no problems till 4 years later. The indy dealership needs to get bigger in the service dept if it's that busy all the time for maintaince and repairs these minis are not being built right or something. Do who knows how too fix a misfiring cylinder and also have oil on top of the valve cover

Old 07-17-2011, 09:07 AM
Kell528
Neutral
I just had this occur today. It sounds like there are several diagnosed problems for this error message. Has everyone has the problem resolved to their satisfaction. This makes me really nervous. This is my first ever brand new car and it's disheartening to have an engine malfunction after only 3 months and less than 3000 miles!

Do I understand that if I call Mini roadside assistance, they should tow it to the dealer at no cost (under warranty)? The dealer is 45mins away from my home. Fortunately it died as I was pulling into the drive but now it won't start at all...just sputters and dies.

Thanks for any input!

Old 07-17-2011, 08:29 PM
sgebauer
1st Gear
Yes, MINI Roadside Assistance will arrange to have it flatbedded to the dealership. When my car was giving error codes and undriveable, they sent out a flatbed immediately at 10:30PM to pick it up. The driver delivered it to the nearest dealership 85 miles away. No cost.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:11 AM
ALIENLOVE
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sgebauer
Yes, MINI Roadside Assistance will arrange to have it flatbedded to the dealership. When my car was giving error codes and undriveable, they sent out a flatbed immediately at 10:30PM to pick it up. The driver delivered it to the nearest dealership 85 miles away. No cost.
yes same here and also after problem was solved they sent the car with a valet service.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:38 PM
tsmorrow
Neutral
yea i just took mine in with the exact same issue...wet plugs???? it seems like theres number of people with the same problem...there may be a recall shortly....hopefully...

Old 07-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Kell528
Neutral
Well--it was a fuel system problem, though I don't exactly know what part yet (I was in a movie when they called so I left the theater and talked quickly to get back in). The problem is like many others have seemed to experience--the replacement part is out of stock and on back order. They will know tomorrow how long it will take. They were super nice and quickly offered a loaner if it's not going to be quick.

I still love driving my mini though and am hopeful that this type of malfunction will be rare!

Old 07-18-2011, 08:44 PM
Kell528
Neutral
I had no mention of wet plugs though....good luck tsmorrow and keep us posted!

Old 07-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Add another to the list. Hit an open road, gave it some gas and it bucked a couple times, recovered, a mile down the road I got the reduced power message. Limped it into the dealership, they were nice and looked at it right away. Thought it might have been some bad gas, cleared the code and gave it back. I topped it off with more gas, but it didn't make it 2 miles before it happened again.

Now I'm in a loaner CM base model till they can figure it out.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:45 PM
cajundop
Neutral
I hate to say it but me too!

My Countryman S is not yet 3 months in my family and just rolled 3000 miles but it is close to 30 days in the shop for problems similar to the others listed here.

I live 250 miles from the dealership I bought it from and 150 miles from the one servicing it (both are in different states) and, while Mini has been great about communications and taking care of me, the wait for my car is getting to be a bit too much.

They originally told me it was a "fuel rail problem." ?!?!?!? And guess what? It is on back order and they had to overnight one from Germany but it never showed up. The first time at the dealership took three weeks and the end solution from engineering in Germany was to replace the high speed fuel pump. They were leery about that but tried it out and delivered it back to me. The car made it 524 miles on a road trip and died 3 miles from my house again. It is now back at the dealership waiting on the fuel rail.

This is my second mini and the first was an '04 Copper S that was a wonderfully reliable car that my wife and I hated to give up. Our third kid's impending birth required it though.

Hopefully we can get this fixed. That car is great to drive, when it is driveable!

CD

Old 07-22-2011, 05:13 AM
tsmorrow
Neutral
So they told me yesterday that it's a fuel pump that of course is on back order. This pump is the one inside the fuel tank. the advisor said there where 3 in the whole united states and now there's none. It's going to be a week before it's comes in from Germany. He also said that mini will do a warranty extension if they find that this problem is in the thousands not the hundreds (countryman owners). And from what I have been reading it seems like every countryman will or have had this issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine malfunction, reduced power message?