R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Engine malfunction, reduced power message?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 07:46 AM
MINIGasser
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sadly, there is no comfort in other people's misery. I too have had my baby in the shop at only 900 miles. Same scenario. Warning light with reduced power. Felt like it was only running on 2 cylinders. Happened on a Friday, so no attention till Monday. Picked up on Tuesday. Mine was a bad solenoid in the fuel injection system? sounds right... Unfortunately, the loaner was a base MINI that we had to drive 50 miles on a busy interstate during a flash flood. Hydroplane not entertaining!

Old 07-26-2011, 07:24 PM
HtownAg01
Neutral
The dealership ordered a new fuel pump for me on April 20th and it still has not arrived. Has anyone out there had a fuel pump ordered after April and gotten it in already? Just curious.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So the dealership first said it was bad gas, cleared the code and gave it back. Topped it off with fresh premium, got 2 miles away and it happened again. Called from the road and they had a loaner base model CM waiting for me.

Next day they said it was bad spark plugs, had to order from Germany. That was last thursday, picked it up today. SA said even their own plugs were bad. They checked it all out and all is good. Took it 250 miles today and all is good.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:42 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mojito
Next day they said it was bad spark plugs, had to order from Germany.
They had to order spark plugs from Germany?

Old 07-27-2011, 06:48 AM
Mojito
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JudgeS
They had to order spark plugs from Germany?
I thought that was odd too. But they said their supply was bad as well.

They've also made it known about ten times now that we should only use chevron premium

Old 07-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Kell528
Neutral
Got the call today that my countryman is ready to be picked up. The part for the fuel rail system got here from Germany pretty quickly, because it's been only 7 business days since it was towed, and I expected it to take longer. Hopefully this is a permanent fix!

Old 07-27-2011, 09:04 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mojito
I thought that was odd too. But they said their supply was bad as well.

They've also made it known about ten times now that we should only use chevron premium
Sounds like they were talking down to you. I'm sure whatever spark plug the CM uses is readily available here in the US.

You should ask them if it takes special German spark plugs.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JudgeS
Sounds like they were talking down to you. I'm sure whatever spark plug the CM uses is readily available here in the US.

You should ask them if it takes special German spark plugs.
No, the service advisor is my salesman, and has done everything possible to keep the ownership smooth. A different service tech called to explain the problem with the spark plugs. They tried to use their own stock butthose weren't working for whatever reason.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:09 PM
cajundop
Neutral
Just a follow-up but my CM is now going into the shop for the third time with the same issue. Everyone beware that when they replace your high speed fuel pump that is sometimes messes up the fuel-gauge float causing your tank to say you have more gas than you do!!! Twice now my tank has run dry with 1/3 and 2/3's respectively showing on the gas meter. That coupled with slighly mower MPG than expected since I got it back and I am dangerously close to being an unhappy camper!!

CD

Old 08-02-2011, 07:01 AM
tsmorrow
Neutral
so i got a call from the dealer and they said that its going to be longer before the part get in.. i think we all are getting the run around because no one knows what or how to fix the damn problem.. they are shooting in the dark...i will calm down now.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:04 AM
tsmorrow
Neutral
whats the policy on returning this junk?

Old 08-02-2011, 07:06 AM
tsmorrow
Neutral
cd they are ordering my fuel pump and replacing the same part.. would you suggest i have them replace the float to?

Old 08-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
put 500 miles on it since getting it back, no problems.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:59 PM
cajundop
Neutral
Originally Posted by tsmorrow
cd they are ordering my fuel pump and replacing the same part.. would you suggest i have them replace the float to?
So I got the report back from the Mini dealership and the latest problem is that the float came off of the sending unit inside my tank. So ts, I would ABSOLUTELY request that they replace your sending unit and make certain the float stays attached!

The answer to your question in a different post, Call 1-866-ASK-MINI . :( I already have.

CD

Old 10-28-2011, 05:08 PM
northendtandem
Neutral
Just got my "Reduced power message"

This thread has me worried. We've had our 2012 Countryman S for exactly 1 week with 705 miles on the odometer and just got this message. The car runs great - it's hard to sense any difference in the way it drives. And it has only had Chevron premium in it. Sounds like we're going to find out how well remote service will work - we're 430 miles from the nearest dealer!

Old 11-14-2011, 06:12 PM
rfg123
2nd Gear
I've had the error five times now. Service scheduled for Wednesday. Very scared as I love the car.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:23 AM
northendtandem
Neutral
Message no more

Well, we now have about 1200 miles on our Countryman, and the message has not come up. We called the dealer and talked to the tech, and he said to let the car sit over night and see if it went away on it's own. And it did..

Old 11-21-2011, 06:11 PM
spaner
3rd Gear
I got infected

Got the reduced engine power - (with nice graphic of engine half full of fluid :p)

Into the dealers ship and they got right on it and are replacing the Thermostat - would seem to make sense in my cars case as I have had the fan on a lot and fan seems to stay on a very long time

Concerns me however that the car might have overheated - without a temp gauge no way of knowing but I assume there is a hot engine warning light also?

The CEL came on first on cold start up on a very chilly morning this Saturday

Got great service from my dealership and they gave me a very nice loaner knowing I was going on a long trip this week for tahnskgiving

Old 11-22-2011, 03:11 PM
soac0655
Neutral
3 rd check engine light

1st check engine light they replaced the fuel rail sensor and injectors
2nd check engine light they replaced the high pressure fuel pump
3rd check engine light they replaced the low pressure fuel pump

Dealer is test driving car and light comes on again and they tell me it must be because the fuel is low?

I still have the loaner, going on second week.

Last edited by soac0655; 11-23-2011 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Error
Old 11-26-2011, 03:40 PM
djsequoia
1st Gear
I just picked up my 2012 Cooper Hardtop S yesterday. I took it out for a "joy" ride this evening and while on the freeway going just over 70 the engine malfunction light went on. It listed the bit about reduced power, drive with caution. I didn't actually feel any change in power or performance but based on all these posts, I'll drive my old car until i get this checked out. Hopefully, it is a false alarm. I'll keep you updated.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:17 PM
soac0655
Neutral
Well I've had my car back for ovr a week and I think they have fixed the problem. They replaced the delivery unit for the fuel tank with electric pump. It runs great! I love my Mini, just wish I didn't hav all the earlier problems.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:18 AM
BladeMini
Neutral
2011 Countryman Engine Malfunction Error

Started the car (had a hard time starting) right after it started the engine malfunction error came on...drove it home 2miles. Next morning went to start and would not start.. at shop now will update with what they come up with...

Old 01-13-2012, 02:49 PM
kunzman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BladeMini
Started the car (had a hard time starting) right after it started the engine malfunction error came on...drove it home 2miles. Next morning went to start and would not start.. at shop now will update with what they come up with...
Sounds like thermostat sensor, a known problem. The engine does not know what temperature it is.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:07 AM
critterz
2nd Gear
2011 CM all4 6spd 3000k... I had a small hiccup in the idle that i really didn't think much of because it went away after warming up, then last week it became a very rough idle and engine light, followed by reduced power (flashing CEL) on the way to dealer . Was told probably the thermostat... got a call an hour later turns out it was a defective spark plug! Really lobbied to get all 4 changed, but was assured that the other 3 looked perfect. The best part is that it idles smoother than ever... plus my in town milage has improved from 21-22 to 26-27! guess that plug hadn't been well for a while...running great now!

Old 06-20-2012, 05:22 PM
hittlets
2nd Gear
Happening a year later...

I was on my way home from work today and stopped at the grocery for dinner. On the way out of the parking lot, my CM started sputtering (like it often does in the morning when I first drive it). I usually have give it a little more gas and I have no problems.

This afternoon was different. After the sputtering the car stalled and was kana difficult to start, plus it sputtered for a while. I was able to make it home OK, but I called for an appointment right away.

My CM is 16 months old with a little over 12,000 miles. I was very disappointed with this. I called the dealership when I got home and have an appointment for tomorrow. Unfortunately the don't have a rental, so I will have to modify my schedule to get it looked at. I am worried that they won't have parts on back order, which will really hamper my weekend.

I am also hoping that they don't have trouble identifying the code. I took a picture of the nav screen for proof. When I had my CM in for it last maintenance I told them about the sputtering on acceleration and they couldn't replicate it and said they weren't able to resolve a problem they could resolve. I am sure there is a code for this since I received the error on the nab, but I haven't had the greatest experience at the dealer and dread any interaction with them.

Has anyone els had this issue recently? I will update when I hear more.

Tim

Quick Reply: Engine malfunction, reduced power message?