R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Yellow engine power warning light

Old 04-17-2011, 02:09 PM
HtownAg01
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellow engine power warning light

The yellow engine power warning light went off today on my 2011 Countryman S. Power to the engine was significantly reduced. The car is only 1 month old with 900 miles on it. This is very diappointing considering I drove my last MCS for 8 years and a check engine light never came on once on that car.

Anyone had this problem yet?

Old 04-17-2011, 10:18 PM
Chibi-Mini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by HtownAg01
The yellow engine power warning light went off today on my 2011 Countryman S. Power to the engine was significantly reduced. The car is only 1 month old with 900 miles on it. This is very diappointing considering I drove my last MCS for 8 years and a check engine light never came on once on that car.

Does your fan kicking in after your shutoff the car? i experience that before few times. it went out after, i dont have power reduce so might be good to pay a visit to dealer if the light keep on

Old 04-18-2011, 09:29 AM
lindseybp
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had the yellow check engine light come on and then go off after about three days. However I did not notice a reduction in power. On the way to the dealer to get it looked at the light went out. The service tech told me the light comes on when there is an emissions problem. He told me it could be just that the gas cap was not tightened enough or something like that. I opted to just take it home and the light has not come on since.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:44 PM
HtownAg01
Neutral
The light went off today and the regular engine power came back but I took it in to the dealer anyway for them to check it out. They said diagnostics tells them there was a fuel pressure loss but they haven't figured out what's causing the problem. They kept questioning whether or not I put premium gas in it but I always do. They gave me a loaner and will runs some more tests tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what they say.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:19 PM
lindseybp
5th Gear
An update once you get more info would be much appreciated.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:41 PM
HtownAg01
Neutral
Ok, so what they said happened was somehow some air got into the gas tank (the gas cap was not loose so that was not the cause) and this created a hic-up in the line which caused me to lose power to the engine for a little while and made the engine light come on. The diagnostics told them this should not have happened and so they are going to replace the fuel pump (which will take 2 weeks to arrive so they gave me my car back for now saying it's perfectly fine to drive). I drove it today and have not had any problems so far.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:00 PM
txminicountryman
Neutral
I had a few issues with loss of power and increased fuel consumption for the past few weeks. Sunday my check engine light came on...so I sent to dealer and they said it was the coolant temp sensor. They changed it out and we shall see if it works. Just an FYI. I appreciate everyone else's posts. It gave me the ability it let the dealer know that I had seen others with this issue and expected a real solution.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:30 AM
tntplante
1st Gear
Mine came on last night, took it to the dealer today.
It turns out that the thermostat needed replacement and it is a known issue with countrymans. I am sitting at the dealership right now while they repair it on a saterday great service in Denver.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:09 PM
elipsitz
Neutral
just this morning, actually...

The light came on this morning on my way to work. I lost punch as I turned into traffic and I really couldn't accelerate. I'm headed to the dealership this afternoon and hope I make it there with it still in yellow.

My car has less than 600 miles on it; I bought it less than two weeks ago.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:32 PM
HtownAg01
Neutral
elipsitz, that's exactly what happened in my case, the light came on and then I had no acceleration. Dealership told me air got into the line and it was related to the fuel pump. They ordered a new fuel pump and I'm still waiting for it to come in. In the meantime I've been driving the car with no problems since it first happened.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:13 AM
elipsitz
Neutral
update on the engine light

okay - so after reading everyone's messages, I figured it had something to do with the gas or emissions. After work when I started her up, the light remained. I pulled to the side of the lot, with the engine running, and opened the gas cap. There was a release of gas fumes but it was not loose. I then tightened back on and got back in the car. In less than 30 seconds, the light disappeared. I called the dealer and because the error was no longer visible, they cancelled my appointment and told me to keep a record of any more difficulties. We then discussed the type of gas I was using: 89 from Mobil (I'm in Southern California) and I was worried that maybe I should use Chevron instead. He said that if I planned on keeping the car beyond my loan agreement, I should use premium. Does anyone else use premium even though the manual states 89? I'm going to - - I was just wondering. My SA said that it will make a difference and that I should see better mileage. At this moment, I'm fine with the 25 mpg I'm getting; I just want it to get me down the road like it's supposed to!

Old 05-10-2011, 10:04 AM
lindseybp
5th Gear
Originally Posted by elipsitz
okay - so after reading everyone's messages, I figured it had something to do with the gas or emissions. After work when I started her up, the light remained. I pulled to the side of the lot, with the engine running, and opened the gas cap. There was a release of gas fumes but it was not loose. I then tightened back on and got back in the car. In less than 30 seconds, the light disappeared. I called the dealer and because the error was no longer visible, they cancelled my appointment and told me to keep a record of any more difficulties. We then discussed the type of gas I was using: 89 from Mobil (I'm in Southern California) and I was worried that maybe I should use Chevron instead. He said that if I planned on keeping the car beyond my loan agreement, I should use premium. Does anyone else use premium even though the manual states 89? I'm going to - - I was just wondering. My SA said that it will make a difference and that I should see better mileage. At this moment, I'm fine with the 25 mpg I'm getting; I just want it to get me down the road like it's supposed to!
I use 93 premium in ours.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:04 PM
HtownAg01
Neutral
I always use 93 premium to be safe plus it's more efficient. The service people told me to always use premium and always buy gas at the major brands, like Chevron, Exxon, or Shell and preferably Chevron because of the techron cleaning agents. They told me to never buy gas at Walmart, Krogers, Sams, Costco, etc. because you don't really know where the gas is coming from and it could be low grade stuff.

My issue was probably the same as you guys but I guess they want to swap out the fuel pump just to make sure.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:36 AM
pa_domino
Neutral
Originally Posted by HtownAg01

I have a 2011 Countryman S with 1600 miles. The check engine light came on with a reduced power warning (the car just died and would not stay running). After getting it towed to the dealer I was told the high pressure fuel pump was out (makes sense as my ave mpg was only 21.5 non sport mode which seemed very low to me). After replacing the high pressure fuel pump they still got error codes. Checking with the factory they were told to replace the low pressure fuel pump (none in the US). Part should arrive early this week and we will see what happens. To be continued

Old 07-11-2011, 01:27 PM
sushiholic
Neutral
actually its tricky...the european octane numbers are different. AKI vs MON/RON as well as the standard in the US which is the average of the RON and MON (R+M)/2. as the engines have knocking sensors....they should run on 87, 89 or 91.....it usual for the service department to blame it on gas.... try and walk into the SALES department, they will be HAPPY to tell you that naturally the mini runs FINE on 87....might have more power on premium, but runs on 87. then in service they get you off their back by claiming only 91 works.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Mavryk03
3rd Gear
Mine came on 2 weeks ago, scanned it said misfiring in cylinder 1 and power was reduced.took it in and they had it for three days, replaced all fuel injectors. So it happened again last thursday misfiring cylinder 1 made appt for monday and they still have him, tech called me today and said that mini said to replace all spark plugs and coils, but they had to order them b/c then didnt have any? I thought these were the same motors in the mcs? I don't know I have a feeling something raise else happened so I'm going to check it out tonight when I get off work. They said they were doing cold starts and driving it around to see if it threw a code , they better put gas in it this time .

Old 01-04-2012, 07:23 AM
SchHDogs
1st Gear
My 2012 Countryman just started this warning this morning -- the coldest morning it has yet seen at 36 degrees. It did it once while driving. I stopped to drop my son off at school and it came back on when I restarted it to go on to work... I've only had it 3 MONTHS and it has only 4200 miles on it.... help.... :-(

Old 01-05-2012, 08:53 AM
SchHDogs
1st Gear
Just a quick follow up on this. I drove the car without incident to pick my son up from school, made another stop, and drove it home the same day as the engine warning light had flashed twice earlier that morning. THIS morning however, it would not start AT ALL. Roadside assist came and jump started it and we took it to the dealer. They could only find a weak battery (so they said after working on it for nearly 2 hours) and replaced it -- at 4,200 mi in central FLORIDA where it isn't exactly under stress to crank in cold weather every day and is garaged to boot. Just FYI.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:19 PM
SchHDogs
1st Gear
Dealership says they only changed out my battery, but after picking it up today, the fan now runs for 6+ minutes (yes, I timed it!) just moving a cold car that had been parked outside for hours 20 feet into the garage... This is new and unexpected.... Will be calling them in the morning. <sigh>

Old 01-05-2012, 07:10 PM
kunzman
3rd Gear
Tell the dealer it seems like you have one of the infamous bad thermostat sensors. They will replace the whole thermostat to solve it.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:51 AM
SchHDogs
1st Gear
So yesterday, the fan ran 6+ mins driving a cold car 20 feet into the garage.
(This was actually the second time the same day it did this -- earlier, I idled the car for a few mins in the driveway to test starting it with the new battery and to clear the windshield, and that was the first time I noticed the fan running for a long time...)

This morning, after driving 30 mins (50-50 city and hwy), I get to my destination and hear absolute silence like I used to...

Hence the question: which is the correct behavior???

Old 01-06-2012, 12:15 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Had my check engine light pop up last sun. I didn't notice any change in the car's behavior except maybe the fan staying on a little longer than normal after the car was shut off. I took it to the dealer the next day and found that it was the therm sensor. Unfortunately, they are backordered on the part, so I wasn't able to get it done then and there, but my service rep told me that it was okay to drive with until it came in. The check engine light is gone now too.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:34 AM
mike3770
1st Gear
Mine has been on twice, both times at high altitude (around 8,000 feet) and it feels as if the turbo has failed. Once I return to 5,000 feet it goes off and power returns. Took it to dealer the first time and they stated the computer did not record the issue, so this time I took a picture of it with my phone. Appt in two weeks with dealer again and they said they will start "replacing parts". Wonderful! All I know is, between this and the other issues, it's gone before the warranty is. At 7,000 miles now.. tick tock tick tock.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:42 AM
SchHDogs
1st Gear
After replacing the battery, I have not had the light come back on again - which makes me wonder what else the dealer did during those 2 hours... Anyway, of note, with the new battery, I am getting slightly better fuel economy. Previously, I was lucky to get 29 mpg; now it's 31 (always having used Shell 93 octane).

Old 01-29-2012, 01:56 PM
ALL4TURBO
3rd Gear
I had my car re-programmed last week for the stumble on acceleration problem that as been going around and this morning the check engine stays light solid yellow. I have read this thread and it seems there have been a few different issues causing the light to come on. My car does seem to have the Thermo sensor issue. The fan come on and stays on even if the car is dead cold. I've noticed it 3 times now.

Of course I am scheduled to leave on a vacation tomorrow morning. Was planning on driving my Mini...

2 weeks in a row of warranty work doesn't sit well with me.

Thanks to all who have posted here..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yellow engine power warning light