JackMac
6th Gear
Received 307 Likes on 221 Posts
Finally R60 JCW pics!

As reported by Autocar

Old 12-13-2011, 01:21 PM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod

Old 12-13-2011, 03:43 PM
friscobiscuit
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dunno....but the graphics appear photoshopped to me...

Old 12-13-2011, 06:12 PM
JackMac
6th Gear
Originally Posted by friscobiscuit
That is normal BMW/MINI camo tape in final stages of testing. I would expect official photos very soon, maybe within a few weeks.

We all knew it was coming, just nice to see something concrete finally appear.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:16 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice

Old 12-14-2011, 02:33 AM
Tom W
2nd Gear
What size are those tips I wonder? Not really a fan of the tip shape. The JCW badge in the grill does look nice and clean.....not too drastic looking from the S.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:20 AM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just want a tuning kit to come out. Or, rather, my girlfriend does.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:47 PM
cp3657197
2nd Gear
I like, I like. And, on All4 at that, sweeeet...

Old 12-14-2011, 05:14 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
A JCW Countryman really doesn't make all that much sense to me and here's why......

Our MINI's had the prior tradition of JCW because they actually had JCW MINI Hard Tops back in the day. As far as I know, a JCW Countryman never existed back in the 50's and 60's.

That said, seems to me it would not only make more sense, but would also honor the current WRC Rally Countryman to have a "Prodrive Edition" instead of riding on the shirt tails of the other product lines.....

Afterall, Prodrive is to the Countryman as to what JCW was to the MINI Hard Top. Just sayin....

Old 12-14-2011, 09:17 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
Good point, I hope we never get anything unless it existed in the 50s and 60s. There probably wasn't a JCW Convertible or Clubman in the 50s and 60s either, so they should stop making those too.

p.s. MINI doesn't own the Prodrive trademark.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Tom W
2nd Gear
At the risk of having a Countryman is not a MINI battle....

I'm sure "John" had a modified 60's Countryman kicking around the shop somewhere.... and it probably wasn't chain drive with the engine in the back.

The new JCW's are not chain drive like back in the day are they????:

To say one should or should not be is not right. If MINI (BMW) makes a JCW its a JCW, but I do agree that the Countryman should carry a new badge to start a new history. "Prodrive" is kinda blan but a "WRC" edition for the Countryman instead of JCW would be better suited in my book. I'm sure they could work out a deal on the rights.

JCW gives homage to John, and little Mikey for their contribution to the brand but I think we should be giving props to the next generation as well. I see some CM owners have put WRC badges in their grills and it looks fitting.

On another note I do not get some of the "JCW" die hards. I see alot of its not a real JCW, poser, wannabe, etc. What was a John Cooper MINI? It was a MINI that was modified by a man who loves to drive and work on cars to make it perform better, so if a guy wants to buy all the "JCW" gear and slap it on whatever MINI he may have from Hard Top to Countryman, Justa, or S. Then that guy to me is following in the tradition of John Cooper. Not the guy who buys it already done and can't change his own oil.

Just saying.

Last edited by Tom W; 12-15-2011 at 01:13 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:55 AM
JackMac
6th Gear
All I know, is that more HP + bigger brakes + tighter suspension = good :P

Old 12-15-2011, 10:52 AM
GP1152
3rd Gear
I'm assuming there will also be a tuning kit/upgrade for current CM owners, correct?

Old 12-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Tom W
2nd Gear
I sure hope so. I really don't want to void my warrany and send my ECU off to someone else.....yet.

I would be much happier if the dealer did it.

Last edited by Tom W; 12-15-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:16 PM
GP1152
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Tom W
I sure hope so. I really don't want to void my warenty and send my ECU off to someone else.....yet.

I would be much happier if the dealer did it.
Same here. I'd definitely prefer to have the dealer installed upgrade as opposed to an aftermarket product. Also better if you ever plan to sell it.
I prefer the look of mine the way it is now and don't want the body kit, but having just sold the GP before buying the CM, I'd definitely like the extra HP

Old 12-15-2011, 06:30 PM
kunzman
3rd Gear
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by friscobiscuit
I would hope they photo shopped it because that color combo on top of the red looks like a$$.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:16 PM
Tom W
2nd Gear
I read from MINI that the CM used in WRC has 300hp, using the stock 1.6 block and head. It seems like the JCW CM is only going to have 207hp or something in that area. So my question is will it be possible for us "consumers" to get anywhere near a reliable 300 hp number?

I have not researched it too much but I wonder what else they did to the engine. I assume the basic mods but the valvetrain, and turbo must have been modified as well.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:09 AM
JackMac
6th Gear
The Prodrive MINI WRC shares little mechanically with the stock CM. The WRC engine is derived from the stock 1.6L, then reworked by BMW Motorsports.

Last edited by JackMac; 12-16-2011 at 04:20 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:16 AM
Tom W
2nd Gear
Yeah I kinda hope that if the dealer offers a tune that they do a little better than around the 200hp mark. From what I read on the samller MINI the factory tune does not really add a huge amount of power. But I guess a small HP gain in a small car is really noticeable.

My Cummins with a tune and usual bolt ons turned out a huge differance in power. 4WD launches soon killed the stock tranny though.....

Old 12-16-2011, 06:23 AM
Tom W
2nd Gear
Same here. I'd definitely prefer to have the dealer installed upgrade as opposed to an aftermarket product. Also better if you ever plan to sell it.
I prefer the look of mine the way it is now and don't want the body kit, but having just sold the GP before buying the CM, I'd definitely like the extra HP
How is the "seat of your pants" feel from the GP to the CM. I assume it would be quite a big change?

I have never driven one of the smaller MINIs, but after driving our CM I really love the product and am debating keeping the mods on the mild side on the CM and getting a older hard top to play with.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:02 PM
KiwiRob
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hopefully they don't keep the horrible cheap looking JCW bodykit, it really needs bespoke front and rear bumpers, rather than the tacky bumper extensions on this prototype. Also disappointed in the power, it really needed 250hp.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:26 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
215 HP is what I call significantly underpowered for a 3200 lb. car, and is essentially a power downgrade from the much lighter JCW Hardtop. My STi is 305 HP & 290 ftlbs for a 3300 lb car. There's a reason I didn't wait to trade my MINI JCW for a Countryman JCW...MINI won't give you real performance class power. You have to pay a premium to BMW to get that.

I guess I need to be educated. I thought the JCW was supposed to be the performance mark for MINI. Apparently, I'm mistaken. Maybe they should rebadge it ROTM for "run of the mill" because that's what 220HP for car of that size is.

And why not make it in the same class as the STi and Evo, i.e. the street version of the rally car? It's in the same price range. For auto sport enthusiasts this does not strike me as a good value.

I'm calling the Countryman JCW lame and ill-deserving the JCW badge. This one needs 300 HP. This looks like MINI trying to market something on a performance brand but only giving it superficial treatment.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Tom W
2nd Gear
+1 on the 300hp

I do agree that MINI is just using the JCW as a marketing tool on this one.

What does need to be realized is that its not really classed as a car, its target market is the small cross over market.
It's really too high to be called a car, yet not big enough to run against the other cross overs......I guess thats some of the attraction.
I do agree it is underpowered but it still out performs the other options that I tested.

Volvo XC-60 probably the the most powerful with 300hp from a turbo straight 6. The torque is amazing, but the handling is not so good, and its ruined by the "Twilight" movies...lol I hate those damn vampires.

Acura RDX, this was our first choice as we moved out of a MDX. But the turbo lag is huge on this car and I felt like a old man driving it but the SH-AWD makes it handle real well.

Mercedes GLK, not even an option, wife wouldn't even drive it.

Nissan Juke, We had a 06 Xterra Off Road Edition, JUNK. Never buy a Nissan again...ok maybe the GTR.

We didn't bother with the Rav4, CRV and other common cars. Don't want to be a SHEEPLE like everyone else.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:43 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by chrunck
Good point, I hope we never get anything unless it existed in the 50s and 60s. There probably wasn't a JCW Convertible or Clubman in the 50s and 60s either, so they should stop making those too.

p.s. MINI doesn't own the Prodrive trademark.
Your myopic point is well taken.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:18 AM
KiwiRob
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom W

Volvo XC-60 probably the the most powerful with 300hp from a turbo straight 6. The torque is amazing, but the handling is not so good, and its ruined by the "Twilight" movies...lol I hate those damn vampires.

Acura RDX, this was our first choice as we moved out of a MDX. But the turbo lag is huge on this car and I felt like a old man driving it but the SH-AWD makes it handle real well.

Mercedes GLK, not even an option, wife wouldn't even drive it.

Nissan Juke, We had a 06 Xterra Off Road Edition, JUNK. Never buy a Nissan again...ok maybe the GTR.

We didn't bother with the Rav4, CRV and other common cars. Don't want to be a SHEEPLE like everyone else.
What about an X1, it's not pretty but it sure is nice to drive.

Quick Reply: Finally R60 JCW pics!