Question on Painting a JCW Aero Kit

Old 08-16-2011, 06:14 AM
pcthurston3
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on Painting a JCW Aero Kit

Sorry, posted in the wrong section. Please excuse the error.

I recently purchased a JCW hard top. One of the options the dealer offered was to paint the black plastic over the wheels and at the bottom edges of the aero kit to match the body color (British Racing Green). This seems like this will really make the car stand out, so I agreed to the option. When the car was delivered, this had not been done. The dealer said they would fix it immediately and proceeded to explain that the option was to paint the part over the wheels, but that the skirt on the front would remain black as would a small part on the back. The stated reason for leaving the front black plastic is because rocks, curbs, etc. would quickly damage the paint. It seems reasonable to leave a small strip at the very bottom unpainted, but leaving the entire front piece unpainted seems wrong. It is distinctly possible that I misunderstood the dealer's comments, but would appreciate some advice and pictures from those of you that have this option and a sense for what to expect.

Last edited by pcthurston3; 08-16-2011 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Posted in wrong section
Old 08-17-2011, 05:18 AM
Justmenmymini
3rd Gear
Here's a link to a photo of a CM with the aero kit. I've only ever seen it left black but then I haven't seen many and those have been in pictures.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-photos-2.html

I see exactly what the dealer is saying and I'd have to agree. Mini's are prone to rock dings anyway just by sheer design and being closer to the road. Add something that rides that close to the surface and it's just going to get dinged.

Good luck with your decision but I'd be leaving the front and back edge black. JMHO...for what it worth.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:53 AM
bignose13
2nd Gear
i had mine painted, only doing part of would defeat the point of painting everything else, yes the chances of it scratching is higher but unless you craw underneath the car are you really going to see it...i also had mine clear bra as well on the whole front end and front wheel arches for extra protection, the finished is ...well finished.
I like it so much that any other Mini i buy i will do the same thing every time.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:54 AM
bignose13
2nd Gear
Check out my gallery for some finished photo's if you like.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:52 PM
bentyyc
5th Gear
I recently had the aero kit installed, and mine is exactly like the one in the 2nd post. The front lip, rear apron, and side pieces that blend with the fender arches are "unpainted".

If you want to go with the "painted" look, then I think you need to paint the arches as well for continuity.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:15 PM
lambspeed
3rd Gear
I would paint everything body color. As long as the shop performing this uses a raw plastic adhesion promotor and uses a flex agent in primer/sealer and the clear. color matched all the arches, headlight trim, and rockers on my car over a year and a half ago. Not one chip.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:05 AM
bentyyc
5th Gear
Here's a video I saw on YouTube with a Countryman that has the aerokit painted to match the body colour:

http://youtu.be/qiraNb6tHZA

Old 10-11-2011, 08:04 AM
erdalozan
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is a picture of a white one that looks amazing imo